Misc Thread VI: Return of the Threadi

Off-topic posts, quotes of the day and anything else you just would like to vent to the world. PG-13 or below PLEASE!
daleadbull
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: VW Golf R

Re: Misc Thread VI: Return of the Threadi

Post by daleadbull »

SonicHKS wrote:The problem with Atlanta is its a clusterfark even on a good day. Traffic here only works at all because of a staggered release from schools/jobs. Even then it barely works. Add in some ice/snow and you end up with a disaster of epic proportions. This storm was the worst I've seen here and I've lived here all my life. There were people still stuck on the interstates, "commuting home" for something like 30+ hours straight. There were even kids stuck on schoolbuses out in traffic.

Thing is, a normal commute with heavy traffic makes me nervous because I know in the back of my mind that it can get as bad as it did in this storm. It can get to a point where you have to abandon the car and walk. So, I called out of work and stayed at home. Figured that there was no point to going in if it'd be impossible to get back. Most I did was drive to the grocery store.

That all said, people here are idiots. This wasn't that bad of a storm. In fact, it was good, because it was ALL SNOW. There was no ice. If there were ice it was caused by traffic, not from it falling from the sky. Basically, the storm hit and it was 20*F all day with the light dry snow you see in places like Colorado, not the slushy icy snow we usually get down here. I drove in it....and it was like driving around up north or at a ski resort. Roads covered with thick snow. Very fun and somewhat easy to drive on if you know what you're doing.

I drove to the grocery store in my Sonic no problems at all. No gas launches = no wheelspin on takeoff. Nice easy delicate power delivery, careful of momentum, speed, stopping distances, etc. Knowing what hills/turns you can and can't take. I went up slopes that people were having trouble with in AWD SUVs and 4x4 p/u trucks. Because for so many people, especially around here, driving is just mashing pedals. Mash the brake, or mash the gas, nothing inbetween, no coasting, engine-braking, etc. They would freak out and stop halfway up a hill, then try to get going again. Or try to get going by mashing the gas. Believing more power would get them up the hill faster or better. When I drove it, it looked like I was just driving normally, just going up snow-covered hills and getting into parking lots/etc with ease. My biggest problem with it, and why I didn't drive more, was other drivers. NO ONE else knew what they were doing at all. If you try to drive normally on snow, you'll be farked. Everyone would just freak out and line up at traffic lights, when a light would turn green they didn't even have even the most basic skills required just to get the car moving! And lights turning red....even worse. People would always slide into the intersection. Me....facepalm every time. I ended up going home because it took 1/2 hour to go 1/2 mile and I was more worried about other drivers hitting me or something.

For me....it was FUN. Doing "rolling burnouts" spooling the turbo at like 30 mph. Locking up the brakes and sliding just for fun. Popping the e-brake. Driving like a WRC driver. Very fun :D. To me snow driving is some of the most fun you can have in a car. Especially with the conditions we had, where the roads had nothing but snow like up north.

Edit: what irks me is why they didn't cancel school. Growing up here, they would cancel for like 1/4" of snow....there were even times where school was cancelled before snow even hit the ground and it ended up only being a dusting. With this, it was a guaranteed 1/4-1/2", and setting up to hit just before evening rush hour. We've had weeks of teens/20's at night too, so it was guaranteed to stick to the roads. And.....asinine administrators decided to treat it like any other day. So we had kids camping out in schools, stranded on busses, etc. One of the biggest problems was that the busses got stuck everywhere and contributed to the traffic clusterfark. You know, the paranoid cancellation of school back when I was a kid was designed to AVOID this.
What I don't understand is why were they stuck in the first place? Especially if it was not icy like I thought it was. Was everyone on summer tires or something?

I can understand traffic being really slow because of people not being used to the conditions, but why were school buses stuck not being able to move?
2012 VW Golf R
SonicHKS
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2012 Chevy Sonic Turbo

Post by SonicHKS »

daleadbull wrote:
SonicHKS wrote:The problem with Atlanta is its a clusterfark even on a good day. Traffic here only works at all because of a staggered release from schools/jobs. Even then it barely works. Add in some ice/snow and you end up with a disaster of epic proportions. This storm was the worst I've seen here and I've lived here all my life. There were people still stuck on the interstates, "commuting home" for something like 30+ hours straight. There were even kids stuck on schoolbuses out in traffic.

Thing is, a normal commute with heavy traffic makes me nervous because I know in the back of my mind that it can get as bad as it did in this storm. It can get to a point where you have to abandon the car and walk. So, I called out of work and stayed at home. Figured that there was no point to going in if it'd be impossible to get back. Most I did was drive to the grocery store.

That all said, people here are idiots. This wasn't that bad of a storm. In fact, it was good, because it was ALL SNOW. There was no ice. If there were ice it was caused by traffic, not from it falling from the sky. Basically, the storm hit and it was 20*F all day with the light dry snow you see in places like Colorado, not the slushy icy snow we usually get down here. I drove in it....and it was like driving around up north or at a ski resort. Roads covered with thick snow. Very fun and somewhat easy to drive on if you know what you're doing.

I drove to the grocery store in my Sonic no problems at all. No gas launches = no wheelspin on takeoff. Nice easy delicate power delivery, careful of momentum, speed, stopping distances, etc. Knowing what hills/turns you can and can't take. I went up slopes that people were having trouble with in AWD SUVs and 4x4 p/u trucks. Because for so many people, especially around here, driving is just mashing pedals. Mash the brake, or mash the gas, nothing inbetween, no coasting, engine-braking, etc. They would freak out and stop halfway up a hill, then try to get going again. Or try to get going by mashing the gas. Believing more power would get them up the hill faster or better. When I drove it, it looked like I was just driving normally, just going up snow-covered hills and getting into parking lots/etc with ease. My biggest problem with it, and why I didn't drive more, was other drivers. NO ONE else knew what they were doing at all. If you try to drive normally on snow, you'll be farked. Everyone would just freak out and line up at traffic lights, when a light would turn green they didn't even have even the most basic skills required just to get the car moving! And lights turning red....even worse. People would always slide into the intersection. Me....facepalm every time. I ended up going home because it took 1/2 hour to go 1/2 mile and I was more worried about other drivers hitting me or something.

For me....it was FUN. Doing "rolling burnouts" spooling the turbo at like 30 mph. Locking up the brakes and sliding just for fun. Popping the e-brake. Driving like a WRC driver. Very fun :D. To me snow driving is some of the most fun you can have in a car. Especially with the conditions we had, where the roads had nothing but snow like up north.

Edit: what irks me is why they didn't cancel school. Growing up here, they would cancel for like 1/4" of snow....there were even times where school was cancelled before snow even hit the ground and it ended up only being a dusting. With this, it was a guaranteed 1/4-1/2", and setting up to hit just before evening rush hour. We've had weeks of teens/20's at night too, so it was guaranteed to stick to the roads. And.....asinine administrators decided to treat it like any other day. So we had kids camping out in schools, stranded on busses, etc. One of the biggest problems was that the busses got stuck everywhere and contributed to the traffic clusterfark. You know, the paranoid cancellation of school back when I was a kid was designed to AVOID this.
What I don't understand is why were they stuck in the first place? Especially if it was not icy like I thought it was. Was everyone on summer tires or something?

I can understand traffic being really slow because of people not being used to the conditions, but why were school buses stuck not being able to move?
Drivers down here don't know anything about driving in snow. School bus drivers also have an incentive to drive more cautiously. So they don't like building up the momentum it takes to climb hills around here. Why they usually cancel school, to decrease the traffic clusterfark and keep kids safe.

We also usually have a staggered release from the schools and offices. Everyone was released all at once at about 1PM. Usually even with the staggered release traffic barely flows; you put EVERYONE out there in snow and it ends up being a disaster. You have drivers who freak out and don't know what to do, other drivers who think that because of their TCS/ABS/etc its not that much different than the difference between dry and rain and they can drive kinda normal. And all those drivers, driving cars not meant for snow at all. No one here drives a winter beater, no one puts on snow tires or anything. Most commuters here drive RWD saloons with wide summer tires year-round. I'll admit most of my ease in driving in the snow was from my choice of car...FWD with skinny tires and a manual trans for better control.
ColJessip
Master Standardshifter

Post by ColJessip »

Well it's worse than a simple hydraulic issue. I'm pretty sure its either synchros or worse. Now it sounds like there are rocks in my trans on every shift.
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

How many miles do you have on the goat now?
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
ColJessip
Master Standardshifter

Post by ColJessip »

Getting close to 83000
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter

Post by AHTOXA »

I would have been at around 90k if I'd kept mine, but it had lots of issues even then. Can't say that I don't miss it, but it could never be my only car, even here in TX.
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
Warner
Master Standardshifter

Post by Warner »

Hello, people.
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

Warner wrote:Hello, people.
willkommen zuruck herr werner!! wie geht's?! 8)
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Slideshow: Xbox One Teardown - From Design News

"After eight years, Microsoft has finally released a proper successor to the Xbox 360 -- the Xbox One.

Will this be the One Xbox to rule them all? The iFixit team is here to show us. Click on the console below to get a look inside Microsoft's newest gaming system"

Serviceability rated 8/10

http://www.designnews.com/document.asp? ... ut=article
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter

Post by AHTOXA »

Hey, old buddy.
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
noob5,000,000
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 1986 Mazda RX-7 x2

Post by noob5,000,000 »

Dad high-centered the front end of the car on a snow/ice bank on the corner down the street from the house. My brother and I went to assist him, but shovels and logs weren't enough. We had to call our neighbor with the lifted Ram to drag it off. Damn snow.
1986 Mazda RX-7 sport - slowly returning to the Earth
1986 Mazda RX-7 base - Project car, ???, In pieces, turbo parts around.
mtheis
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 07 Corolla, 76 Celica

Post by mtheis »

noob5,000,000 wrote:Dad high-centered the front end of the car on a snow/ice bank on the corner down the street from the house. My brother and I went to assist him, but shovels and logs weren't enough. We had to call our neighbor with the lifted Ram to drag it off. Damn snow.

Fickset
2007 Corolla
2017 Cannondale Quick 3
1995 Tercel
1976 Celica GT
Unofficial SS.com IRC Server
Driving stick since March 20, 2002
Official lurker
noob5,000,000
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 1986 Mazda RX-7 x2

Post by noob5,000,000 »

Luckily we avoided that :lol: .
1986 Mazda RX-7 sport - slowly returning to the Earth
1986 Mazda RX-7 base - Project car, ???, In pieces, turbo parts around.
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

Why would he pull it from the back?

Something tells me he didn't have the thing hooked up right. Thank dog I know where the mounting points are on my car.

I'd be pissed.

On a side note, I've done this by hand before, using the longer portion of a cinch strap. My bumpers remained intact though because I know where to mount the strap.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!