BEER THREAD!

Off-topic posts, quotes of the day and anything else you just would like to vent to the world. PG-13 or below PLEASE!
comingbackdown
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 99 Ram 2500, 86 Ford LTD

Re: BEER THREAD!

Post by comingbackdown »

4onthefloor wrote:
comingbackdown wrote:Tried a new one last night. Sam Adam's Winter Lager. Not too bad for being Sam Adam's. Review to follow another day.
The only Sam Adams we get up here is the Boston Lager and it's $13 for a 6-pack.

I've an $8 bottle of Ola Dubh 16 sitting in my fridge right now. It's a dark ale aged in whiskey casks. I'm going to drink it sometime soon. I'll put up a review when I do.

??? $13 for a six pack of Boston Lager? You need to come to the states sometime...

Also: YOU F*CKING SUCK, SIR!
1. You got your hands on Ola Dubh for $8. 2. You have Ola Dubh. 3. You have cold Ola Dubh.
That is THE BEST beer I have EVER had the pleasure of imbibing. If I had a beer in my hand, I would toast the grand art of craft brewing... however, I have a bourbon on the rocks, so I'll toast something else and save craft brew for beer.
1999 Ram 2500 4x4 360, 1986 Ford LTD 3.8L, 1983 Yamaha Venture Royale 1200
4onthefloor
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 WRX, '07 Impreza

Post by 4onthefloor »

comingbackdown wrote: ??? $13 for a six pack of Boston Lager? You need to come to the states sometime...

1. You got your hands on Ola Dubh for $8. 2. You have Ola Dubh. 3. You have cold Ola Dubh.
That is THE BEST beer I have EVER had the pleasure of imbibing. If I had a beer in my hand, I would toast the grand art of craft brewing... however, I have a bourbon on the rocks, so I'll toast something else and save craft brew for beer.
Yeah the government likes to tax our liquor ridiculous amounts. All beer and liquor is way overpriced/taxed.

The Ola Dubh is apparently being discontinued up here so it's on sale. The 16 year stuff (like I have) is $6.95 right now. It was more when I got it.

I hope it's as good as you claim it to be. I'm hoping for a real treat.
Two pedals, two feet, too easy.

Car: 2007 Impreza 2.5i Special Edition
http://www.standardshift.com/forum/view ... 32&t=13230
comingbackdown
Master Standardshifter

Post by comingbackdown »

4onthefloor wrote:
comingbackdown wrote: ??? $13 for a six pack of Boston Lager? You need to come to the states sometime...

Yeah the government likes to tax our liquor ridiculous amounts. All beer and liquor is way overpriced/taxed.

The Ola Dubh is apparently being discontinued up here so it's on sale. The 16 year stuff (like I have) is $6.95 right now. It was more when I got it.

I hope it's as good as you claim it to be. I'm hoping for a real treat.
I pity you... You'll miss it when it's gone... It's a rather heavy beer alcohol wise, light enough body wise to drink more than one in a session, but I don't think that even I could handle that, even when I'd spent three months drinking daily. To quote Tony as close as I can from memory, "It's not a beer you drink, it's the kind of beer that you chew." I've had only one bottle in my life, and every time I drink a few beers, I bring it up and say "Someday, I'm gonna get my hands on some more of that beer." I'm an epic beer snob of sorts... and I couldn't find a single fault whatsoever with Ola Dubh. Then again, how it's aged has an effect...

If I remember correctly, it's aged in casks that were used to store Highland Park Scotch Whisky. It has a bit of Scotch flavor to it... very mild, but detectable. I have a love affair with Scotch... Even though it's been over two years since I've tasted Scotch, it was one of the few liquors that I enjoyed in a tumbler, neat. Love affair indeed... I can remember the sensation still... That has an effect on the opinion of this beer. If you hate the liquor that imparts a bit of flavor, you may hate the beer... However, if you truly enjoy beer, even if you hate Scotch, you'll love it just the same, as it is a work of art in the form of beer.

I haven't yet found an ale that was incredibly full bodied, and though this one isn't either as I recall, it is quite the beer.
Even when I had an alcohol tolerance high as the clouds, it made me tipsy. It's sweet, thick, luxurious, has a kick, it's strong and malty, and has a hint of Scotch in it to add to the flavor... and the alcohol content.

Budweiser can kiss of. Ola Dubh is the king of beers!
DarkPilot
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2014 Focus ST 6 Spd Manua

Post by DarkPilot »

I had one of those before christmas and it was divine!
Project Brick Shithouse: Phase I RIP, Scrapped 8/12/09
2003 VW Golf "Unit 2" 2008-2014.
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

Ola Dubh is awesome. Aaron, remember I brought you one of these the other time?
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
wannabe
Master Standardshifter
Cars: NONE - take the bus

Post by wannabe »

AHTOXA wrote:Ola Dubh is awesome. Aaron, remember I brought you one of these the other time?
i remember that time...
2003 Chrysler town and country

Crafting and stuff
comingbackdown
Master Standardshifter

Post by comingbackdown »

AHTOXA wrote:Ola Dubh is awesome. Aaron, remember I brought you one of these the other time?
Indeed. Just that one bottle, and I can go on about it for ages.

One of these days, I need to pay your city a visit. With what you've told me and the tales my father had to tell, sounds like I could have some fun there. I can hear beer calling me as well...
4onthefloor
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 WRX, '07 Impreza

Post by 4onthefloor »

So I drank the Ola Dubh earlier tonight and here are my thoughts:

It was a very good beer but I wouldn't say it was my favourite. It was a little stronger than I'm used to but that's not really a complaint, just more of an observation.

I see it as a beer that I would drink and enjoy with a nice piece of meat (as I did tonight) but would definitely stick to a lighter beer for everyday drinking.

I don't really know how to go into deeper detail than that. I enjoy a lot of different beers but I'm no good at reviewing them.
Two pedals, two feet, too easy.

Car: 2007 Impreza 2.5i Special Edition
http://www.standardshift.com/forum/view ... 32&t=13230
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter

Post by AHTOXA »

^

...and I can understand that. Certain beers are very good, great body, start and finish, however you have to drink them sparingly. As good as they are, you can't pound 3-4 of those and not feel really bloated.

There are great, every-day beers out there and those I prefer as well. For example, Two Brothers French Country Ale is an awesome every day craft beer.
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

Anyone use Untappd? Great way to keep track of tasty beverages.

Recent favorites:

Hairy Eyeball Ale by Lagunitas
Three Philosophers by Ommegang
Insanity by Weyerbacher
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter

Post by AHTOXA »

I forgot all about this thread.

So many beers have been discovered lately, I wouldn't even know where to start.

My current favorite is Modus Hoperandi by Ska brewing in Colorado. Amazing IPA.
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
comingbackdown
Master Standardshifter

Post by comingbackdown »

While I have some epic places to find craft brews locally, I finally found a place with a HUUUUUGE selection. Tried a few off hand including some I'd been looking for for years. Got a couple I really want to try but it'd be a trip to get them, good excuse to fire up the bike.

Most recent acquisition (other than Stroh's, my only macrobrew standby) was a sixxer of Smuttynose Pumpkin Ale. TOO MUCH SPICE! Completely wipes the malt flavor off the palette. Sad, considering what can be done with such a spice blend.
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

Im attempting to try as many pumpkin beers as possible this fall. The problem is finding a good selection of them.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

watkins wrote: Image
Im attempting to try as many pumpkin beers as possible this fall.
Fickset
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

not much of a beer man...HARD APPLE AND PEAR CIDERS FTW!!!!!!!!!! :D :o :shock: :twisted: :!:

n.b. these are my favorites i've tried so far. woodchuck pear is not good, and the other pear ciders i've tried aren't that good either, while kopparberg is incredible. woodchuck is my favorite apple cider i've tried in recent years. i know there are better ones out there, but our beer stores don't have the best selections, not even half-time has a real good selection of ciders...
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.