BEER THREAD!

Off-topic posts, quotes of the day and anything else you just would like to vent to the world. PG-13 or below PLEASE!
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

BEER THREAD!

Post by AHTOXA »

Inspired by tinton's homebew post, I decided to throw this out here.

Post you favorite brew and maybe favotire style/flavor as well.

Optimator Doppel Bock - seasonal this time of year, great when cold outside:

Another seasonal that I like is a local here and called 80 Schillin Ale, which I discovered a few days ago at the only place that makes them, the Flatlander's.

Otherwise, for warmer months I like:

potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

Not really picky and not much of a drinker (especially of beer), but I gotta plug the king of beers:
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter

Post by AHTOXA »

I don't mean to start the domestic vs. imported thing going here, as admittedly I like domestic microbrew, but hate domestic macrobrew with a passion, yet, how I don't agree with you on that one. To me, it has no taste and no finish what so ever.
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

i'm kind of the opposite i guess. i don't like heavy beer or anything with much of an aftertaste. i don't really like the beer taste, so i'd rather have a watered-down beer that goes down easily. i also tend to not like the imported beers. that sam adams winter lager john suggested at hooters was really good :D .
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
Sypher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 05 Mazda 3 GT

Post by Sypher »

Keith's FTW!
GarySheehan
Master Standardshifter

Post by GarySheehan »

potownrob wrote:but I gotta plug the king of beers:
GAK!!! No you don't. Just keep that as a little secret for yourself. :?

I like pretty much everything from Unibroue, the only Canadian beer worth mentioning.

Everything Belgian.

I've enjoyed Stone and New Belgium brews for awhile now. Just got to taste some of the Heavy Seas beers from Clipper City Brewing. Tasty stuff.

Way to many to list...
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter

Post by AHTOXA »

Yes, the beligian ales are great. There's a fancy liquor store not too far from me and there I can pick some nice beers to try. I tried a few Belgian ales last year for the first time and was impressed.

I must say that my order of preference in style is usually like this:

1. dopple bock
2. porter
3. weisse
4. lager
5. belgian ale
6. pilsner
7. ale
8. I.P.A

...few others in between as well. I'll rarely if ever drink I.P.A. It's not that it's too strong, I just don't like to taste so much alcohol in my beer. If I wanted to I'd just drink Jack Daniel's or something, yet I don't drink hard liquor at all but do drink my share of beer and then some.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

Image 8)
Warner
Master Standardshifter

Post by Warner »

I'm only 19, but I had beer and various other alcoholic drinks when I was in Germany and I don't quite understand the hype. Sure, beer's not bad (I had a few different kinds, a couple of which were light and dark Beck's), but I've had plenty of non-alcoholic drinks that taste much better, IMO. The tipsy/drunk feeling isn't even that attractive after having felt it. It can still be fun to be at a party and hang out with a bunch of friends, but I don't feel the need to ever drink.

I guess either it's just not my thing or I haven't developed the supposed "acquired taste" yet.
jomotopia
Cars: 04 STi, 05 Matrix XR (AT)

Post by jomotopia »

i like pretty much all beers, though domestics are the worst, with a few exceptions.

normally i get Corona, Heineken, Stella, Becks, Newcastle, Rolling Rock, or Amstel Light.

when i was in London i discovered a beer that i REALLY loved, Old Speckled Hen. but i can't find it here. :(
2013 Subaru Impreza WRX in Orange
mtheis
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 07 Corolla, 76 Celica

Post by mtheis »

I mostly like the darker beers. My all-time favorite beer is Newcastle and I love anything from New Belgium. Pumpkin ales are good too.
2007 Corolla
2017 Cannondale Quick 3
1995 Tercel
1976 Celica GT
Unofficial SS.com IRC Server
Driving stick since March 20, 2002
Official lurker
GarySheehan
Master Standardshifter

Post by GarySheehan »

jomotopia wrote:when i was in London i discovered a beer that i REALLY loved, Old Speckled Hen. but i can't find it here. :(
I get one of the six on commission...

http://www.bevmo.com/productinfo.asp?sk ... al&Ntk=All
padauk_dust
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '88 Accord, '96 VFR

Post by padauk_dust »

GarySheehan wrote:
jomotopia wrote:when i was in London i discovered a beer that i REALLY loved, Old Speckled Hen. but i can't find it here. :(
I get one of the six on commission...

http://www.bevmo.com/productinfo.asp?sk ... al&Ntk=All

Oh no! Only 2 left! I'd better order a case.

When I was in Trinidad, the was no party without vendors close by with stacks of ice cold beverages. I enjoyed most everything I had there, including the 2 popular choices, which I'm sure if Computerman sees this thread he'll have something to say about them.

Also, even though it's not beer, there's nothing like a cup of coke and rum every now and then.

Please note I don't drink regularly and 90% of when I do it's usually a beer or nice glass of wine with dinner.
'88 Accord DX
'96 VFR750
Tinton
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 91 MR2t, 88&86 Fieros

Post by Tinton »

I usually go for darker imported beers, especially anything from Ireland or Britain. I can't stand American mass-produced beers, like Coors, Budweiser, Miller, etc. I have to give them credit for having a consistent product (every Budweiser tastes like a budweiser), but to me stuff like Bud tastes like carbonated water. Its got no taste or body to it. It doesn't even get me drunk unless I have like a 6-pack of them.

My favorites, I guess, if I put them into a list:

1. Newcastle Brown Ale.
2. Bass Pale Ale.
3. Sweetwater Georgia Brown (a microbrew Brown Ale from here in Atlanta, GA).
4. Smithwick's Red Ale.
5. Sweetwater 420 Pale Ale (related to Sweetwater Georgia Brown).
6. Samuel Adams Octoberfest.
7. Terrapin Rye Pale Ale (a microbrew from Athens, GA).
8. Guinness.
9. Harp Lager.
9. Michelob Amberbock.
10. Killian's Irish Red.

The Amberbock and the Killians are the closest I come to typical American beers. I won't turn down a Budweiser if its free.... but you can bet that I'd never pay for it. I mainly stick to darker beers too, my favorites are ales, especially brown ales. I don't really touch German beers that much either.

The microbrewed stuff from Georgia is actually really good, and same with the Sam Adams; so I wouldn't say ALL American beers suck, just the mass-produced cheap pale lagers/pilsners.

I'd also like to point out that I drink for the taste....not to get drunk. If I want to get drunk I'll just stick to harder stuff, like mixing Crown Royal, Southern Comfort, Everclear, etc. If you're trying to get drunk by shotgunning Budweiser or something you're doing it wrong.

And, of course, my hate list:

1. Corona (I won't drink Corona even if its given to me for free....every 1 I've had has been skunky).
2. Icehouse.
3. Budweiser.
4. Coors.
5. Miller.
6. Michelob Ultra.
7. Heineken Pilsener.
8. Blue Moon.
And all their light variations...

The Blue Moon isn't THAT bad, its just that I can't stand drinking it. Its got too much of a sharp bite for me. I like my beers smoother and darker...that's why I don't drink lighter beers.
rubi
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: Citroën AX

Post by rubi »

Egyptian Stella :D

I hate dutch beer...