Another Day, Another Idiot Driver (Misc Thread for Stories)

Off-topic posts, quotes of the day and anything else you just would like to vent to the world. PG-13 or below PLEASE!
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Re: Another Day, Another Idiot Driver (Misc Thread for Stories)

Post by Rope-Pusher »

THIS THREAD IS BEATIN' THE SOX OFF OF THE ONE THAT TALKS ABOUT UNICORN DRIVERS WHO ARE JUST TO POLITE TO BELIEVE IN.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

Just got a honk and a 1-finger salute.

My offense? Properly yielding the right of way to a pedestrian in a crosswalk with a crossing signal.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

I shook my index finger the Terminator way at a motorist that kept creeping into the intersection as I was approaching on the moto, forcing me to slow way down not knowing what the heck was going through his mind. :roll:
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

White cr-v pulls up to stop sign next to me same time as me. She's going left and I'm going right. She butts out to see if traffic is coming (unnecessary since she's higher than me), blocking my view of traffic. I butt out more so I can see. I go; she has to wait. 8)
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

I got a 1-finger salute for a similarly stupid reason, TnB. A guy pulled out in front of my (he turned right onto the road on which I was driving) which forced me to brake very abruptly, lock tires, and anti-lock brakes to activate - I dropped 20+ mph in a very short span. I gave him a short honk so he gave me a salute out his window.

When people are very obviously in the wrong, why do they feel the need to add to their arse-hole-ish-ness? I genuinely don't understand.

Also, I don't entirely understand people giving the bird with fingers bent at the 1st knuckle. I make a fist and then raise the finger completely. This guy raised the finger but had all of his other fingers bent at the first knuckle which seems like far more work...
'15 Mazda 3 iSport Hatch 6MT
'11 Ford Fiesta Hatchback SE 5MT
'14 Giant Escape City 24MT
'97 Honda Civic EX 4AT - Retired @ 184,001 mi

For Pony!
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

Squint wrote:I got a 1-finger salute for a similarly stupid reason, TnB. A guy pulled out in front of my (he turned right onto the road on which I was driving) which forced me to brake very abruptly, lock tires, and anti-lock brakes to activate - I dropped 20+ mph in a very short span. I gave him a short honk so he gave me a salute out his window.

When people are very obviously in the wrong, why do they feel the need to add to their arse-hole-ish-ness? I genuinely don't understand.

Also, I don't entirely understand people giving the bird with fingers bent at the 1st knuckle. I make a fist and then raise the finger completely. This guy raised the finger but had all of his other fingers bent at the first knuckle which seems like far more work...
Dismissive gesture meant to be an aggressive closure to the 'discussion'. Like when you argue with someone verbally, prove their wrong-doing, but all they can say is "F you". There's nothing else to be said, but they can't walk away defeated or seen as admitting to their dumb actionts.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

Squint wrote:Also, I don't entirely understand people giving the bird with fingers bent at the 1st knuckle. I make a fist and then raise the finger completely. This guy raised the finger but had all of his other fingers bent at the first knuckle which seems like far more work...
I've always wondered that too. Not only is it more work, but it seems less severe, like someone who would say "go to heck".
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

theholycow wrote: I've always wondered that too. Not only is it more work, but it seems less severe, like someone who would say "go to heck".
i might have to start using that one then... 8)
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
wannabe
Master Standardshifter
Cars: NONE - take the bus

Post by wannabe »

theholycow wrote:
Squint wrote:Also, I don't entirely understand people giving the bird with fingers bent at the 1st knuckle. I make a fist and then raise the finger completely. This guy raised the finger but had all of his other fingers bent at the first knuckle which seems like far more work...
I've always wondered that too. Not only is it more work, but it seems less severe, like someone who would say "go to heck".
My hand doesn't do that...the fingers bent at first knuckle, middle finger raised thinger.
2003 Chrysler town and country

Crafting and stuff
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

wannabe wrote:
theholycow wrote:
My hand doesn't do that...the fingers bent at first knuckle, middle finger raised thinger.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYKvbhhEKd0
theholycow
Master Standardshifter

Post by theholycow »

I was a little late leaving this morning. Apparently so was everyone else.

So I'm on this road:

It's a 45mph road. Oddly, most commuters on this road tend not to go much more than 50, and many even treat each other with civility and occasionally even courtesy. (During non-rush-hours there are lots of Harley-mounted senile douchecanoes playing up to Harley stereotypes, but that's only after the nursing homes let them out for the evening.)

Behind me I spot a motorcyclist. He's keeping a polite distance like I would. I've never seen that, even among non-Harley-douche commuter motorcyclists. When we reach a passing zone he politely and QUIETLY zooms past me. He continues being polite to everyone. In each successive passing zone he politely passes everyone until the road is open in front of him and he quickly disappears. I'm impressed with his courtesy and lack of attention-whoring; if I was a motorcyclist that would be the bike I'd ride (I couldn't identify it or even categorize it, nor hear it), and if I forgot that speed limits exist but remembered other laws that's how I'd drive.

I'm left wondering why he's willing to risk the expense of a punitively-fined and heavily-enforced speeding ticket and the resulting insurance rate jacking but not willing to risk an inexpensive illegal pass, but whatever...he's ok in my book, just taking his own risks and not inflicting anything on anyone else. I can totally respect that.

This guy is slightly idiotic; if he keeps up his speeding then, around here, consequences will definitely catch up to him -- but he's respectful and nice. Stay tuned for a contrasting story from a short time later, posted separately because this turned novel-length.

theholycow
Master Standardshifter

Post by theholycow »

Later, on a short curving 30mph connecting residential road with lots of traffic going 30mph, construction, lots of driveways, and a few side roads, a late model black Civic coupe was right up my tailpipe. Nothing I could do, nowhere to go, no shoulder even if I wanted to kowtow and encourage douchebaggery.

We cross a large intersection and in a half mile the speed limit will be 50mph as the road opens up a little, but until then it's still 30. Normally whoever is behind me treats me like a fellow human and I'll risk a ticket to cut them some slack because most people don't have the patience to wait for that 50mph sign. Giving him the benefit of a doubt I creep up 10% over the limit. Of course, Jerkbag McDickface continues to hitch up his intake to my exhaust like an automotive centipede experiment...so I'm damn well not going to speed up and make it more difficult for him to pass (and risk a ticket I can't afford). Still, he doesn't pass despite excellent openings in oncoming traffic.

Now he's honking. Maybe 33mph is too fast for him to manage an easy pass that even my Buick could do? I drop to 10% below the limit.

Now we have legal passing zones. Still, Dillweed McAssface is breathing nothing but my exhaust and ignoring good passing opportunities. Finally, as the 50mph sign starts to become visible in the distance he takes one of the passing zones. Wife gave him the stink-eye and says he gave us the bird. I kept my eye on the traffic not far in front as he landed behind them, a small school bus and a pickup.

The traffic parts like the red sea for Moses and Shitster McCoontface (LOL, bypassing swear filter) picks up a little speed before reaching the red light. Seconds later I stop behind him. I figured he was going to troll me so when the light turned green I gave him the same distance I give everyone, and sure enough he took off then stopped short in the intersection. No problem, brake-checking doesn't affect me...do it all you want. Still, I'll admit it pissed me off that he would be such a fartknocker.

For a short time I actually allowed road rage to settle in slightly, smiling as I imagined his disappointment to see me keeping up. I didn't wind out gears to 7000RPM to keep up (I'm sure he was over 9000) but I probably shifted at 4000, letting him gain plenty of lead but keeping up, going a lot faster than I ought to. After us both making the next light and finishing catching up at the stop sign I let traffic get between us...no sense in me being as rude to the traffic we're entering as he is, and it was time to let go of the road rage.

There were a few cars between us, and then we got to another light (and now I've described every traffic light on my 38 mile commute)...and when he stopped in the left turn lane I ended up next to him in the straight lane. There we parted ways.

So...here's someone willing to risk a quick and violent end to his life by potentially causing road rage in the wrong person, risk arrest for a Negligent Operation/reckless driving criminal misdemeanor and/or a Driving To Endanger criminal misdemeanor, risk a $75 driving too close ticket, as well as risking the more usual $300+ speeding fines and the $1000+ cumulative insurance penalty that follows, but not willing to risk a mere $75 illegal pass that the insurance company may never notice or even a legal pass (well, as legal as can be at illegal speeds).

I don't get it. Can someone explain this to me? Why are some people so strongly bound by fear of overtaking (at illegal speeds in legal passing zones, or in non-passing zones) but happy to practice extreme tailgating, extreme speeding, extreme offensive brake-checking, and induce road rage in unpredictable strangers?

Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

^ When a guy is trying to push me down the highway with his vehicle's front bumper is when I decide to become obsessive about washing my windows....just when he gets the last drops off his window and shuts off his wipers, I hit the washer button again.
...lather, rinse, repeat ad infinitum.
It's the most fun you can have for the mere price of a jug of washer fluid.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
kevinf
Senior Standardshifter

Post by kevinf »

Damaged minds think alike Ropey :twisted:
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

I would have forced a pass and taken my foot completely off the accelerater; usually works like a charm once both cars are traveling 15 mph.

My friend, on the other hand, is terrifying and will do the flashing, honking, one finger saluting, unsafe speed, pass-blocking maneuvering over any slight, real or imagined. Other traffic is usually at the mercy of physics snd reaction time if he feels he's been wronged. He's one of these "above average" drivers who need to teach others a lesson. His driving legitimately scares me, especially because I'm never sure what will set him off (certainly not the things that set me off. My goat is usually gotten when I'm stuck behind a slow merger or somebody who wanders over during a lane change and doesn't pick up the pace; usually I've left enough space in the latter situation to avoid a conflict and adjust my speed accordingly. ).

When I get angry, I'll pass when the first opportunity presents itself, or I'll hold back until I can extricate myself from whatever is going on. I don't see the point in funny business.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!