Traction Control

Off-topic posts, quotes of the day and anything else you just would like to vent to the world. PG-13 or below PLEASE!
MustangGT
Senior Standardshifter

Post by MustangGT »

Nervous wrote:Traction Control FTL. I can control my car perfectly, all I need is my 2 hands, and 2 feet. I've slipped before, but nothing I couldn't get out of. Traction Control can't help all the time, so it's better to know how to get out of trouble then to get into it and now know how to solve it.

If it's any kind of non AWD system I'd rather not have it with traction control, but if it's AWD I wouldn't care.
You'll never be able to react as fast as electronics.
Like I said - I have no complaints about my traction control, and I usually don't turn it off, unless I want to have some fun with the car. Also just because it's activated, doesn't affect my driving. You can see an icon pop up whenever it needs to do some work, and I hardly ever see it on - usually when I try to do a fast start on a slippery road. When I first bought the car, it would light up more often, because I wasn't used to RWD, and extra torque. First time I noticed it kicked in was pretty cool actually - I was driving down the highway during a pretty heavy rain, and must've hit a huge puddle something because the car started to spin out, but the moment it did the TRAC Icon lit up, and I guess the computer cut the power to the wheels because before I had enough time to take my foot off the gas the car stopped skidding and I was fine again.

open differentials FTl!

mine is the same way. Occasionally I can get both rear wheels spinnning, but when I leave black marks on the street, its from the right rear wheel.
Actually V8's have Limited Slip Differential - which is one of the reasons I went with it. I remember test-driving a V6, and even though it was an auto, I felt like I was always on a verge of spinning out whenever I floored it.
V8 Mustang - the stereo's under the hood...
ra64t
Master Standardshifter

Post by ra64t »

I wouldn't be too relient of traction control - a lot of traction control systems just cut the throttle to prevent wheelspin on acceleration, if you manage to get over steer on turn in, its useless.
eaglecatcher wrote:I read something about it, how the differential supplies slightly more power to one side than the other, and in most cases its the right rear tire, and once it starts spinning, all the power goes to it.
you'll spin the right rear coming out of a right hand turn because the weight is shifted to the left side. In a straight line, maybe the right rear will more likely spin b/c of the weight of the driver.
JHamilton
Master Standardshifter

Post by JHamilton »

comingbackdown wrote:
zender05 wrote:? In my experiences, GTO's handle well...
Maybe it's just how he drives... That car didn't seem to like those turns though... Now, straights... Wow... Every shift *flies backward into seat and smiles*!
It handles pretty well with the stock suspension. I think the weight may have thrown you for a loop and if he still has the all season tires....well, they're crap.

Anyway, don't worry about being able to control the car. I never driven anything that is as easy to control with the back end stepping out (and it will often). The rain is a bit sketchy however.

edit...oh and I take my TC off only for spirited driving.
Silence is golden and duct tape is silver.

2005 Pontiac GTO 6MT
2011 Ram 1500 CC Laramie 4x4
eaglecatcher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '90 300ZXTT 5MT

Post by eaglecatcher »

ra64t wrote:I wouldn't be too relient of traction control - a lot of traction control systems just cut the throttle to prevent wheelspin on acceleration, if you manage to get over steer on turn in, its useless.
eaglecatcher wrote:I read something about it, how the differential supplies slightly more power to one side than the other, and in most cases its the right rear tire, and once it starts spinning, all the power goes to it.
you'll spin the right rear coming out of a right hand turn because the weight is shifted to the left side. In a straight line, maybe the right rear will more likely spin b/c of the weight of the driver.
the weight has something to do with it, which I think it would be more effective to giv ethe left rear tire the poewr since it has more weight, but I didn't design the car. ANyways, the open differential send power to the wheel thats spinning faster, and since the right rear wheel is more often the one that breaks loose first, all the power is sent to that wheel then, so the left wheel just sits there.
Z1 Intake
Z1 2.5" Test pipes
HKS 65mm Hi-Power Exhaust
AMS Short Shifter
SZ Subframe Spacers
HKS Vein Pressure Converter
DDM Tuning 6000k HIDs
eaglecatcher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '90 300ZXTT 5MT

Post by eaglecatcher »

MustangGT wrote:
Nervous wrote:Traction Control FTL. I can control my car perfectly, all I need is my 2 hands, and 2 feet. I've slipped before, but nothing I couldn't get out of. Traction Control can't help all the time, so it's better to know how to get out of trouble then to get into it and now know how to solve it.

If it's any kind of non AWD system I'd rather not have it with traction control, but if it's AWD I wouldn't care.
You'll never be able to react as fast as electronics.
Like I said - I have no complaints about my traction control, and I usually don't turn it off, unless I want to have some fun with the car. Also just because it's activated, doesn't affect my driving. You can see an icon pop up whenever it needs to do some work, and I hardly ever see it on - usually when I try to do a fast start on a slippery road. When I first bought the car, it would light up more often, because I wasn't used to RWD, and extra torque. First time I noticed it kicked in was pretty cool actually - I was driving down the highway during a pretty heavy rain, and must've hit a huge puddle something because the car started to spin out, but the moment it did the TRAC Icon lit up, and I guess the computer cut the power to the wheels because before I had enough time to take my foot off the gas the car stopped skidding and I was fine again.

open differentials FTl!

mine is the same way. Occasionally I can get both rear wheels spinnning, but when I leave black marks on the street, its from the right rear wheel.
Actually V8's have Limited Slip Differential - which is one of the reasons I went with it. I remember test-driving a V6, and even though it was an auto, I felt like I was always on a verge of spinning out whenever I floored it.
I didn't know they came stock with LSD> I guess with that much hp, you have to have an lsd. I wanted to a V8, more specifically a 5.0, but my dad wouldn't let me have one because the insurance was too high. I don't think they cared much about how much power it had, they just didn't want to pay out the nose for insurance anymore than the 2 grand a year it costs me rightnow.

But my V6 does like to turn sideways in the rain if you floor it from a stop.
Z1 Intake
Z1 2.5" Test pipes
HKS 65mm Hi-Power Exhaust
AMS Short Shifter
SZ Subframe Spacers
HKS Vein Pressure Converter
DDM Tuning 6000k HIDs
gage
Senior Standardshifter

Post by gage »

I'll take TC off if the weather is dry in my GTO because i'd rather let the tires take a bit of pain if i become aggressive rather than pulling timing while im working the clutch. The GTO is very comfortable in a skid.
hockeystyx16
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 95 probe GT

Post by hockeystyx16 »

traction control = a band aid

it covers up but doesnt solve the real problem, drivers not knowing what their cars can and cant do, and not doing what it cant do (a soccer mom in her torquey jeep taking off from a intersection in rain and burning out thru the intersection cuz she dont know any better than to stomp the gas)
-Roman
95 Probelem GT