Does NASCAR take skill?

Off-topic posts, quotes of the day and anything else you just would like to vent to the world. PG-13 or below PLEASE!

Does NASCAR take skill?

Yes, ALOT.
57%
Not that Much, even I could learn without too much time.
22%
NASCAR is a horrible sport!
22%

Total votes: 37

Nervous
Master Standardshifter

Does NASCAR take skill?

Post by Nervous »

Does NASCAR take skill?

It doesn't seem like much to me, the only reason I think people say that is because of the risk. I mean, you don't launch your own cars, so that takes away that much of the skill. And the rest...I think it just depends on your car's power, either you have it or you don't. That's just My Opinion though.
VTECaddict
Master Standardshifter

Post by VTECaddict »

someone in the other thread said it best IMO. it doesnt require much driving skill, but its more of a strategy game...
2006 BMW 330i 6MT
NjSi
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2007 Civic Si (FG2)

Post by NjSi »

i mean the only think that takes skill is getting your "path " or "driving line" right other than that its llike going in circles..........wait it is just goign in circles

Im no fan of nascar just because well, i think its stupid, if any racing i watch its Auto X / drifting just cause its nasty
six
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2015 Chevrolet SS 6MT

Post by six »

NASCAR still takes skill. Controlling a 700 horsepower, RWD, no-traction-control, super-light car is no easy feat, even around an oval. And when you have 41-42 other cars on this super small track with you, it makes it interesting.
2015 Heron White Chevrolet SS Sedan 6MT
gage
Senior Standardshifter

Post by gage »

I have to agree with six. Finding it boring is perfectly fine, I do as well. But any race involving close quarters and lots of cars is going to be nerve wracking. And I do believe skills are involved because of what six also mentioned.
jomotopia
Cars: 04 STi, 05 Matrix XR (AT)

Post by jomotopia »

running around a track like Daytona flat out by yourself doesn't take much skill.

running around a track like Atlanta or Michigan fast by yourself without crashing doesn't take much skill.

running around a track like Atlanta or Michigan by yourself without crashing but also while getting a decent lap time takes a lot of skill. they are 4 wheel sliding inches from a concrete wall modulating the throttle trying to gain every 1/100th of a second.

running around ANY track, especially the 1/2 and 1 mile tracks, with 42 other cars all also trying to gain every 1/100th of a second takes tremendous skill.

getting into the pits without speeding, locking the brakes and flat spotting the tires or spinning out, stopping in the exact right spot for you pit stop, taking off from the stop and out of the pits without speeding, and doing it all with no speedometer and still trying to gain every 1/100th of a second takes a lot of skill.

launching an 800 hp light RWD car from a roll without spinning your tires takes a good bit of skill. if you spin the tires you go to the back.

i think a lot of people think every track is like Daytona and Talladega. they aren't, those are the only 2 tracks where they run flat out the whole way around. on those tracks the majority of the skill is in drafting and not running into each other. there are only a few others where the brakes aren't needed much (Atlanta for example) and that's only if your car is handling well. on the rest of the tracks you have to brake, take the turn, and reaccelerate. sure, you could do it, but could you do it with 42 other cars on the track and also be competitive? doubtful.

i bet almost every single person on this site would crash spectacularly trying to get a pole worthy time on a track like Bristol, or especially Darlington.

also don't forget that these tracks are not super smooth. most have been around for a long time and are quite bumpy. it's hard to tell on TV but those cars are bouncing around on the track quite a lot. not running into each other takes a lot of skill.

and then there's the strategy.

i love NASCAR. :D
Last edited by jomotopia on Wed Mar 21, 2007 7:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
2013 Subaru Impreza WRX in Orange
StrangeWill
Master Standardshifter

Post by StrangeWill »

I figure compared to OTHER forms of racing, most of your skill comes out when half the cars are flying all over the track in a pile up, if you can avoid that and keep your foot to the floor, you're good.

I like the electronic systems they've added to the cars showing what the driver is doing, practically they have their foot in the carb the entire time... :P

I'd figure that they could take just about any good driver and train him in a few months.

Basically the main skill comes from those "HOLY CRAP" moments when parts and cars are flying across the track. Also sometimes I've seen damaged cars where drivers and pit need to make tough decisions...

Basically:
NASCAR racing is totally within the ability of say... Le Mans drivers, but not vice versa.

Now rally racing... I wish that stuff was more popular in America....

@jomotopia:
Yeah I haven't seen many tracks that they weren't going balls out on, though IMHO: If you got that car, you might as well go balls out. :P
Last edited by StrangeWill on Wed Mar 21, 2007 7:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
SNewton
Junior Standardshifter

Post by SNewton »

I definitely do not like NASCAR but it still takes skill. While Formula 1 is actual driving, the timing aspects of NASCAR take a lot of concentration and awareness to pull off. Too bad thousands of left turns suck.
jomotopia

Post by jomotopia »

also sitting in a car going around a track for 500 miles when it's 100 degrees F outside, so like 130 in the car, without passing out or making a stupid mistake, takes athletic fitness if not skill.
StrangeWill
Master Standardshifter

Post by StrangeWill »

SNewton wrote:I definitely do not like NASCAR but it still takes skill. While Formula 1 is actual driving, the timing aspects of NASCAR take a lot of concentration and awareness to pull off. Too bad thousands of left turns suck.
Oh like bitching that a woman weighs what... 50lbs less than you so you refuse to race?

That was Formula 1 right? :P
jomotopia wrote:also sitting in a car going around a track for 500 miles when it's 100 degrees F outside, so like 130 in the car, without passing out or making a stupid mistake, takes athletic fitness if not skill.
Definitely though, you need to resist some awful fatigue.
jomotopia

Post by jomotopia »

lol, i have more to say.

if you don't like or "get" NASCAR, try watching a few races (good tracks like Bristol, Pocono, Richmond, Dover, heck even the 1.5 mile tracks like Atlanta, basically anything but Daytona and Talladega, definitely check out the 2 road course races, Watkins Glen and Infineon (Sonoma)) with a true NASCAR fan that can explain everything that is going on behind the basic heart of NASCAR which is "go fast, turn left". :lol:

my fiancee and my 2 closest friends all disliked NASCAR. they didn't get what was exciting about it. they found it boring, and like most people said "it's just a bunch of cars driving around in a circle for 4 hours".

well, after they all had watched several races with me (which btw watching a race is much better as a social event because i will be the 1st to admit that there are boring periods and even entire races that are boring.) they all gained much more understanding, respect, and appreciation for the sport. 1 of my friends even became quite the fan himself.

actually watching the cars race side by side giving each other hell trying to pass, seeing how close they come to each other, seeing them actually bump into each other (they even run into people on purpose at the drafting tracks) and rub along side each other, seeing a great crossover move or a spectacular save (or as DW would say "a wreck that just didn't happen"), picking a favorite driver and being vicariously competitive with your friends, learning about the technology, the rules (and seeing who tried to skirt them and how, and watching NASCAR change the rules b/c of it), the points system, the strategy, the history, and yes, even the drama, can expose the true nature of NASCAR to you and possibly give you something new to be a fan of. :D

plus, the crashes are spectacular, beer can almost be considered obligatory, and it's an excuse to get away from the women (while the fiancee appreciates it now she'd still rather not watch it :lol:) and do absolutely nothing on a Sunday afternoon.

which ties into it also being the longest sport season that i know of. 36 points races plus a few extra races in there. starts up in Feb. and finishes in Nov. with only a few weekends off during. Sunday is my day off. :D "we need to go grocery shopping, clean the house, do this, do that" - sorry baby i can't i gotta watch the race! :twisted:

i'm a fan of all motorsports, but NASCAR is the one i really follow.
StrangeWill
Master Standardshifter

Post by StrangeWill »

I have to say:

TV: Boring as poo. Has to be more fun in person, assuming you can stand the heat.
jomotopia

Post by jomotopia »

StrangeWill wrote:I have to say:

TV: Boring as poo. Has to be more fun in person, assuming you can stand the heat.
in person is quite the experience, but it's much harder to follow what's actually going on in the race unless you've also got a TV or radio or computer. of course now they have these little handheld devices that you can rent that provide the stats and i think even some of the live monitoring data, plus selected communications radio channels. i haven't been to a race since they introduced those, i'd like to go see the night race at Bristol, my favorite race every year, but apparently it's everyone else's favorite too b/c it sells out over a year in advance usually. :shock:
scionkid
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 04 xB

Post by scionkid »

IMO, although the sport requires some skills, it's quite boring to watch.

Balancing yourself on a bowling ball takes skill, but it gets old after maybe 2 minutes. It's the same, repetitive motion for every second of the event.

Road course racing gives something new to the viewers at every corner of the track.
jomotopia

Post by jomotopia »

i was just thinking about the difference between most NASCAR races and road races and i think it's race the track vs. race the competition. in NASCAR they only really race the track at the road courses and Darlington, but in road course racing, of course (pun semi-intended :lol:), it's mostly race the track. i wonder if this somehow contributes to the divide in interest or says anything about fans' personalities.