I HATE trucks(non-commercial) and SUVs

Off-topic posts, quotes of the day and anything else you just would like to vent to the world. PG-13 or below PLEASE!
scionkid
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 04 xB

I HATE trucks(non-commercial) and SUVs

Post by scionkid »

But props to Volkswagen for a stunt like this:

German engineering in za haaus!!
Warner
Master Standardshifter

Post by Warner »

Deutschland ueber alles!
VTECaddict
Master Standardshifter

Post by VTECaddict »

i saw that before. crazy. im surprised that the frame supported all that weight.

theres a youtube video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05zRyoBbcfI
2006 BMW 330i 6MT
Johnf514
Cars: '07 Mazda3, '06 Ninja 636

Post by Johnf514 »

Interesting stunt, but you have to remember that as long as you can overcome the weight of the aircraft at rest on it's wheels, the rest is easy. However, if you took a one-ton square block (no wheels) and chained it up to the same vehicle, I doubt it could move it.
2007 Mazda3
Mods: 15% tint, Eibach ProKit
2006 Ninja 636
Mods: NOS & sidecar
acadien
Senior Standardshifter

Post by acadien »

I cried a bit when I saw that they used an automatic for the stunt.
slider23
Junior Standardshifter

Post by slider23 »

why do you hate SUVs? That Touareg is beautiful.

Also, I don't understand the "square block" argument- that's just the nature of friction. You wouldn't see an F250 towing around square blocks either.
MustangGT
Senior Standardshifter

Post by MustangGT »

Wasn't there a guy, who could pull a plane with his teeth?
V8 Mustang - the stereo's under the hood...
scionkid
Master Standardshifter

Post by scionkid »

When humans pull planes, they are given some sort of horizontal "ladder" to grab on to. Otherwise, they would need to support about 10,000# of ballast to provide traction for their shoes.

This VW has to be grossly overloaded in order to provide enough traction to pull a Boeing product.

I just thought it's a cool stunt because VW is actually doing this. Remeber the Chevy commercial where the dude wanna pull a semi with an SUV, you didn't see the semi move 1/2 an inch.
j_ortiz
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: '05 Toyota ECHO, '97 Terc

Post by j_ortiz »

Gimme a stick miniSUV and I would take it! Remember the first edition of the RAV4: my coworker about six months ago got a very clean '97 5-speed 2WD and he really LOVES it! Too bad Toyota has bloated the Version 3 RAV to near-Explorerish proportions... :x

Jorge
[A] passenger asked the driver, "Why do you have to keep moving that stick?" - HM :)
j_ortiz
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: '05 Toyota ECHO, '97 Terc

Post by j_ortiz »

paul34 wrote:
j_ortiz wrote:Gimme a stick miniSUV and I would take it! Remember the first edition of the RAV4: my coworker about six months ago got a very clean '97 5-speed 2WD and he really LOVES it! Too bad Toyota has bloated the Version 3 RAV to near-Explorerish proportions... :x

Jorge
FJ Cruiser has a 6-speed option ;)
Another rant: I actually like the OLD Land Cruisers ('60-'70 styles)... those are the true FJ's! The current vehicle Toyota labels as the "Land Cruiser" is nothing but the Japanese equivalent of a Ford Expedition - and possibly more expensive, albeit less breakdown-prone!

The new retro look FJ Cruiser doesn't convince me much, to me it seems a graft of images of a beloved offroad icon into a typical modern SUV body. Other interesting miniSUVs and Jeep type vehicles I may take on as a second ride are (unfortunately, all discontinued and now available only used):

1. The older Suzukis (1980-1984 approx.) Though the engines were very small - the first Suzuki Jeep in Puerto Rico was a miniature rendering of a Willys, with a (hold on to your seats) 0.8 liter 4-cylinder engine (yes, I said 0.8!); followed by the Samurai with a 1.0 L 4banger - they had extraordinary hill climbing capacity and their small size made them even more practical than the American originals.

2. 4WD small pickups made by Toyota or Nissan (not Mitsus, I've had reliability issues with that marque)

3. The 4WD Version 2 Toyota Tercel wagon, 1983-1986. Possibly not as offroadworthy as the previous, but quite well built and with a high roofline, more comfortable than its hatchback stablemates (the Version 2 hatches are BTW the most insipid Tercels ever built!).

Of course I forgot to mention that for all practical purposes current RAV4s are all automatics (if there's a manual version, they bring out very few!)

Where has imagination in SUV and 4 wheel vehicle design gone?

Jorge
[A] passenger asked the driver, "Why do you have to keep moving that stick?" - HM :)
JackBauer
Master Standardshifter

Post by JackBauer »

acadien wrote:I cried a bit when I saw that they used an automatic for the stunt.
Automatics are better at towing :(
screenname
Master Standardshifter

Post by screenname »

So THAT'S what they use the Dunsfold Aerodrome for when Top Gear isn't filming there!
scionkid
Master Standardshifter

Post by scionkid »

JackBauer wrote:
acadien wrote:I cried a bit when I saw that they used an automatic for the stunt.
Automatics are better at towing :(
I see, that's why Volvo still builds tractors with 10 speed manual.
VTECaddict
Master Standardshifter

Post by VTECaddict »

i cried for the poor torque converter. :shock:
2006 BMW 330i 6MT
GarySheehan
Master Standardshifter

Re: I HATE trucks(non-commercial) and SUVs

Post by GarySheehan »

scionkid wrote:I HATE trucks(non-commercial and SUVs
So, why do you hate non-commercial trucks so much?

Gary
Sheehan Motor Racing
http://www.garysheehan.com