Introvert or Extrovert

Off-topic posts, quotes of the day and anything else you just would like to vent to the world. PG-13 or below PLEASE!
noob5,000,000
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 1986 Mazda RX-7 x2

Re: Introvert or Extrovert

Post by noob5,000,000 »

Introvert for sure. I'm pretty shy but generally like people as long as they're not assholes or douchebags. But I absolutely require time to "recharge", where I can just be by myself watching a movie or TV, playing video games, doing forum stuff, poking around in the garage, etc. If I'm around people, even friends, for too long without a break I begin to feel fatigued and agitated.
1986 Mazda RX-7 sport - slowly returning to the Earth
1986 Mazda RX-7 base - Project car, ???, In pieces, turbo parts around.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

noob5,000,000 wrote:Introvert for sure. I'm pretty shy but generally like people as long as they're not assholes or douchebags. But I absolutely require time to "recharge", where I can just be by myself watching a movie or TV, playing video games, doing forum stuff, poking around in the garage, etc. If I'm around people, even friends, for too long without a break I begin to feel fatigued and agitated.
Oh, I see how it is: Assholes and Douchebags aren't good enough for you. That explains a lot about you. I spose you never heard the legend of how the asshole got to be the boss. What drivel were your folks teaching you instead, ...One Fish Two Fish? ...Go Dog Go?.....Where the Wild Things Are?
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

Interesting topic, as it's been a subject of recent conversation I had with a friend.

I'm definitely introverted and have become more so as I got older. Most people go back and forth and teeter in between intro and extro without going too far off the middle ground, but I'm definitely on the intro side of the fence. Although probably not too extreme.

While I am very effective at all forms of communication, a whole lot of personal interaction drains me. Most often, after the end of a long day filled with communication and interaction, I'm just drained and prefer doing things by myself. I also tire of company without a break for myself, even with people who are long-time friends that I absolutely consider my "rock".

The older I get, the more time I spend by myself, but I don't consider myself a loaner. I don't have social anxieties, I am definitely not a shy person, nor do I lack communication skills or people skills. I just prefer my personal time (a lot of it) that allows me time to recharge and defrag my brain. Thought, reflection, planning or simply being in a state of mindfulness is relaxing and calming to me. The GF understands and respects that, even though in the beginning she wasn't sure how to take it, thinking I was distant for some other reasons.

Best way for me to spend my personal time is usually out doing things like camping, backpacking, hiking or riding motorcycle or bicycle. Riding a motorcycle is great for introverted folks. You really get to be in your head quite a bit, even while focusing on riding and staying alert.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
cwat89
Junior Standardshifter

Post by cwat89 »

AHTOXA wrote:Interesting topic, as it's been a subject of recent conversation I had with a friend.

I'm definitely introverted and have become more so as I got older. Most people go back and forth and teeter in between intro and extro without going too far off the middle ground, but I'm definitely on the intro side of the fence. Although probably not too extreme.

While I am very effective at all forms of communication, a whole lot of personal interaction drains me. Most often, after the end of a long day filled with communication and interaction, I'm just drained and prefer doing things by myself. I also tire of company without a break for myself, even with people who are long-time friends that I absolutely consider my "rock".

The older I get, the more time I spend by myself, but I don't consider myself a loaner. I don't have social anxieties, I am definitely not a shy person, nor do I lack communication skills or people skills. I just prefer my personal time (a lot of it) that allows me time to recharge and defrag my brain. Thought, reflection, planning or simply being in a state of mindfulness is relaxing and calming to me. The GF understands and respects that, even though in the beginning she wasn't sure how to take it, thinking I was distant for some other reasons.

Best way for me to spend my personal time is usually out doing things like camping, backpacking, hiking or riding motorcycle or bicycle. Riding a motorcycle is great for introverted folks. You really get to be in your head quite a bit, even while focusing on riding and staying alert.
Wow! I haven't been on here in quite a while and I just read this. What you wrote is me to a T. I thought I had written this for a second. :lol: My girlfriend (wife now) was the same way. She didn't understand why I dreaded her family gatherings. Nor her parents could understand but they were older and had no concept of someone who wanted time alone. After a few years together she began to realize how I couldn't stand being around big crowds for long periods and would take up for me and help accommodate it when she could.

I used to have a motorcycle too and that was peaceful. Now I go fishing or go out in my shop and tinker with something to be alone.
1988 Chevy S10 M5
I will never get rid of this truck!

2006 Chevy Silverado LT3 A4
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter

Post by AHTOXA »

cwat89 wrote:
AHTOXA wrote:Interesting topic, as it's been a subject of recent conversation I had with a friend.

Wow! I haven't been on here in quite a while and I just read this. What you wrote is me to a T. I thought I had written this for a second. :lol: My girlfriend (wife now) was the same way. She didn't understand why I dreaded her family gatherings. Nor her parents could understand but they were older and had no concept of someone who wanted time alone. After a few years together she began to realize how I couldn't stand being around big crowds for long periods and would take up for me and help accommodate it when she could.

I used to have a motorcycle too and that was peaceful. Now I go fishing or go out in my shop and tinker with something to be alone.
Just so happens that I just got back from a few days out on the road. Camped through a few places, seen a lot of new stuff; explored. It was blissfully relaxing. Just the dog and I; I never tire of his company like I do with all people for some reason.
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

AHTOXA wrote:Just so happens that I just got back from a few days out on the road. Camped through a few places, seen a lot of new stuff; explored. It was blissfully relaxing. Just the dog and I; I never tire of his company like I do with all people for some reason.
Something about dogs and their never-ending love... mine just wants to be near us if at all possible. It doesn't matter what we're doing (or even not doing), she just wants to come hang out.
'15 Mazda 3 iSport Hatch 6MT
'11 Ford Fiesta Hatchback SE 5MT
'14 Giant Escape City 24MT
'97 Honda Civic EX 4AT - Retired @ 184,001 mi

For Pony!
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Squint wrote: Image
...... she just wants to come hang out.
Fickset
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter

Post by AHTOXA »

Squint wrote:
AHTOXA wrote:Just so happens that I just got back from a few days out on the road. Camped through a few places, seen a lot of new stuff; explored. It was blissfully relaxing. Just the dog and I; I never tire of his company like I do with all people for some reason.
Something about dogs and their never-ending love... mine just wants to be near us if at all possible. It doesn't matter what we're doing (or even not doing), she just wants to come hang out.
I don't think it's so much the love, but rather the no-nonsense approach. No meaningless conversations, no hidden meanings, no hidden agendas or thinly veiled negativity. Always happy, always ready for an adventure and always positive and understanding. So simple.
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650