XTERRA, XTERRA, READ ALL ABOUT IT!.....

Off-topic posts, quotes of the day and anything else you just would like to vent to the world. PG-13 or below PLEASE!
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

XTERRA, XTERRA, READ ALL ABOUT IT!.....

Post by Rope-Pusher »

....Safety Regulations Kill Off Nissan's "Car that Saved the Company"
The funky SUV that Nissan insiders refer to as "the car that saved the company" has gone out of production rather than undergo re-engineering for new safety rules, Nissan confirms.
New federal safety regulations are pending for vehicle roof crush resistance that would have required Nissan to re-engineer the Xterra after its 2015 model year. According to a Nissan insider, the cost of making the structural changes was greater than the SUV's market potential, so Xterra production halted at the completion of its 2015 model run.

http://www.autonews.com/article/2015100 ... he-company
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Re: XTERRA, XTERRA, READ ALL ABOUT IT!.....

Post by theholycow »

Maybe they could reinforce that faux roll cage rack...
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
IMBoring25

Post by IMBoring25 »

Actually, reinforcing the rack would probably make it worse. At a 25-degree angle, it looks like the missile would hit the rack first, and since it doesn't come all the way out to the A pillars, it would be directing the crush energy into a less-rigid portion of the roof.

So for a total of 6 fatalities who were wearing seat belts in rollover wrecks of XTerras in 2013 that it is speculated some of them might have been prevented (even though a design that passes the test better might even do worse in some or all of the real-world situations, depending on impact points and angles involved), it (and its MTX option) goes bye-bye.

Almost makes me want to run out and buy one...

Ironically, they could hack out the roof between the A and B pillars and turn it into a targa and it would be legally for purposes of the test in question a convertible, and exempt from this test.
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

A capable Morono? In hot pink or fuscia?
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
Bill B
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Bill B »

Sad day when a vehicle with a 6 Cyl, 4WD and MT (or any vehicle with an MT) is discontinued.
Bill Berckman
West Chester, Ohio
2007 Honda Element EX AWD 5 Speed MT
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

Bill B wrote:Sad day when a vehicle with a 6 Cyl, 4WD and MT (or any vehicle with an MT) is discontinued.
Yes. I had a modded gen 1.5 of these and I loved it. Wheeled the piss out of it and it never let me down. Practical and non-pretentious vehicle.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650