"Hacking" cars

Off-topic posts, quotes of the day and anything else you just would like to vent to the world. PG-13 or below PLEASE!
Squint
Master Standardshifter

"Hacking" cars

Post by Squint »

I dislike how the media uses the phrase "hacking" but in this case, it's the word chosen by Andy Greenberg from Wired.com.
I was driving 70 mph on the edge of downtown St. Louis when the exploit began to take hold.

Though I hadn’t touched the dashboard, the vents in the Jeep Cherokee started blasting cold air at the maximum setting, chilling the sweat on my back through the in-seat climate control system. Next the radio switched to the local hip hop station and began blaring Skee-lo at full volume. I spun the control knob left and hit the power button, to no avail. Then the windshield wipers turned on, and wiper fluid blurred the glass.

As I tried to cope with all this, a picture of the two hackers performing these stunts appeared on the car’s digital display: Charlie Miller and Chris Valasek, wearing their trademark track suits. A nice touch, I thought.

The Jeep’s strange behavior wasn’t entirely unexpected. I’d come to St. Louis to be Miller and Valasek’s digital crash-test dummy, a willing subject on whom they could test the car-hacking research they’d been doing over the past year. The result of their work was a hacking technique—what the security industry calls a zero-day exploit—that can target Jeep Cherokees and give the attacker wireless control, via the Internet, to any of thousands of vehicles. Their code is an automaker’s nightmare: software that lets hackers send commands through the Jeep’s entertainment system to its dashboard functions, steering, brakes, and transmission, all from a laptop that may be across the country.
http://www.wired.com/2015/07/hackers-re ... p-highway/

A very interesting read.
'15 Mazda 3 iSport Hatch 6MT
'11 Ford Fiesta Hatchback SE 5MT
'14 Giant Escape City 24MT
'97 Honda Civic EX 4AT - Retired @ 184,001 mi

For Pony!
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Re: "Hacking" cars

Post by Rope-Pusher »

They need to grow up, get out of their parent's basements and consider the consequences of their actions.

They could have demonstrated the same hacks to their guinea-pig friend in a parking lot without putting him at risk.

After all the press about the GM ignition switches, and over 100 drivers who are being granted compensation for accidents where the engine shut off, they must have known that it isn't safe to shut of the engine of a car while it is out on the road.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

Rope-Pusher wrote:They need to grow up, get out of their parent's basements and consider the consequences of their actions.

They could have demonstrated the same hacks to their guinea-pig friend in a parking lot without putting him at risk.

After all the press about the GM ignition switches, and over 100 drivers who are being granted compensation for accidents where the engine shut off, they must have known that it isn't safe to shut of the engine of a car while it is out on the road.
Yeah, if you noticed, they did do demonstrations in a parking lot. So I don't know why they have him do potentially dangerous to lots of people things on a highway...

I guess they proved their point about car control, though.

For Pony!
six
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2015 Chevrolet SS 6MT

Post by six »

Cars these days are rolling computers with seats and an engine. It's inevitable. Our lives are in the hands of the engineers who programmed the software in our cars. Let's hope they programmed with security in mind (yeah right).
2015 Heron White Chevrolet SS Sedan 6MT
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Yanno, engineers tend to be law-abiding people. They're makers, not breakers. They don't have the mind-set to really evaluate the hackability of their products/systems. You need to hire some real sociopathic hackers to look at things and lick their chops thinking about what havoc they could bring.
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

SO MANY paranoid phone calls today. GAH! And its not even Chrysler's fault. Its Uconnect's problem.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

I think it's Uconnect's fault and FCA's Problem.
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

watkins wrote:SO MANY paranoid phone calls today. GAH! And its not even Chrysler's fault. Its Uconnect's problem.
Interesting. So you've been having to deal with that article making the news?

For Pony!
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

Not directly, no. But I have had to listen to my service advisers bitching about people calling in all day.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

watkins wrote:Not directly, no. But I have had to listen to my service advisers bitching about people calling in all day.
"Well, I don't know about that, but I kin let you talk to this Watley feller we got here and he can setcha strait"
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

Rope-Pusher wrote:
watkins wrote:Not directly, no. But I have had to listen to my service advisers bitching about people calling in all day.
"Well, I don't know about that, but I kin let you talk to this Watley feller we got here and he can setcha strait"
:lol: :lol: When I worked at a dealership, our techs would do just about anything to avoid having to talk on the phone. It was the service advisors who appeared to be growing phone shaped appendages out of their heads.

For Pony!
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

D-d-d-d-double post!

FCA is apparently issuing a voluntary recall:
FCA US LLC is conducting a voluntary safety recall to update software in approximately 1,400,000 U.S. vehicles equipped with certain radios.

The recall aligns with an ongoing software distribution that insulates connected vehicles from remote manipulation, which, if unauthorized, constitutes criminal action.

Further, FCA US has applied network-level security measures to prevent the type of remote manipulation demonstrated in a recent media report. These measures – which required no customer or dealer actions – block remote access to certain vehicle systems and were fully tested and implemented within the cellular network on July 23, 2015.
http://www.media.chrysler.com/newsrelea ... 16849&mid=

For Pony!
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Squint wrote:D-d-d-d-double post!

FCA is apparently issuing a voluntary recall:
FCA US LLC is conducting a voluntary safety recall to update software in approximately 1,400,000 U.S. vehicles equipped with certain radios.

The recall aligns with an ongoing software distribution that insulates connected vehicles from remote manipulation, which, if unauthorized, constitutes criminal action.

Further, FCA US has applied network-level security measures to prevent the type of remote manipulation demonstrated in a recent media report. These measures – which required no customer or dealer actions – block remote access to certain vehicle systems and were fully tested and implemented within the cellular network on July 23, 2015.
http://www.media.chrysler.com/newsrelea ... 16849&mid=
Pay no attention to those hackers behind the curtain!
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

FCA's anti-hacking recall marks industry milestone

"What elevates the recent remote hacking of a Jeep Cherokee is that researchers were able to find and disable vehicles from miles away over the cellular network that connects to the vehicles' entertainment and navigation systems"

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, under fire from Congress for not catching defects more quickly, has been considering punitive action against Fiat Chrysler for failing to protect vehicle owners.

http://www.autonews.com/article/2015072 ... -milestone
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2008 Fusion 2.3L manual

Post by ClutchFork »

six wrote:Cars these days are rolling computers with seats and an engine. It's inevitable. Our lives are in the hands of the engineers who programmed the software in our cars. Let's hope they programmed with security in mind (yeah right).
Lets hope they don't use anything produced by Microsoft!
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...