Can cops legally cross a state line while in pursuit?

Off-topic posts, quotes of the day and anything else you just would like to vent to the world. PG-13 or below PLEASE!
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Can cops legally cross a state line while in pursuit?

Post by Shadow »

I live in NY, but very close to the NJ border. So I drive in both NY and NJ just about every day. So here's the question---if a NY cop caught me speeding near the border, would I get away with it if I made it over the state line? No, it didn't happen to me....I'm just curious what would happen once I crossed the state line. Would the cop stop at the line because he no longer has jurisdiction? Would he try to radio a NJ cop ahead?

What do you think?
ClutchDisc
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2009 Mazda 5 2.3L 5MT

Re: Can cops legally cross a state line while in pursuit?

Post by ClutchDisc »

I would think that they would keep pursuing you because you were originally speeding in the state he's with....but I'm not sure. I'll be interested in seeing what others say. Good question. :)
09 Mazda 5 2.3 5-speed manual 171k
11 Subaru Forester auto :( 113k
92 Ford Mustang LX 5.0 5-speed manual 151k
Boston Fit
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Boston Fit »

"Hot pursuit" or "fresh pursuit" exceptions might apply in more serious (e.g., felony) situations, but for a mere speeding violation, I doubt a cop could stop you in a bordering state since it's a separate sovereign. But I am just speculating.
2013 Honda Civic Si
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Post by Shadow »

I did some quick research myself and couldn't find a definitive answer at all.
LHOswald
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '99 Civic Hatch w/B16a

Post by LHOswald »

my friend alan got pulled over by a CT cop while driving on I-91 into mass. enfield cop pulled him over, but wasn't allowed to get out of his car. he called a mass trooper and the trooper took over from there. not sure if its the same from NY to NJ though
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

LHOswald wrote:my friend alan got pulled over by a CT cop while driving on I-91 into mass. enfield cop pulled him over, but wasn't allowed to get out of his car. he called a mass trooper and the trooper took over from there. not sure if its the same from NY to NJ though
That would be my guess. Someone could "stop" you and then call a (new state) cop to actually give you the ticket. Alternatively, just radio a cop across the way to watch out for a speeder heading that direction. I doubt your average speeder will slow down just because they crossed a state line (though the specified scenario might be different).
'15 Mazda 3 iSport Hatch 6MT
'11 Ford Fiesta Hatchback SE 5MT
'14 Giant Escape City 24MT
'97 Honda Civic EX 4AT - Retired @ 184,001 mi

For Pony!
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Post by Shadow »

Squint wrote:
LHOswald wrote:my friend alan got pulled over by a CT cop while driving on I-91 into mass. enfield cop pulled him over, but wasn't allowed to get out of his car. he called a mass trooper and the trooper took over from there. not sure if its the same from NY to NJ though
That would be my guess. Someone could "stop" you and then call a (new state) cop to actually give you the ticket. Alternatively, just radio a cop across the way to watch out for a speeder heading that direction. I doubt your average speeder will slow down just because they crossed a state line (though the specified scenario might be different).
Well, the idea is to cross the border and then obey the speed limit after crossing the line. If the cop doesn't have jurisdiction in the neighboring state, would he be able to ticket you? And if the cop in the other state didn't see you speeding, I'm not so sure he could write you a ticket based upon what another cop may have told him. That's the rub right there....although the real question is whether or not a cop can cross the state line and give you a ticket while in another state.
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2008 Fusion 2.3L manual

Post by ClutchFork »

Don't know but I'll confess that when I was 18 years old I ran a stop sign in front of a police cruiser that I spotted just as I ran the sign, then because of that, I stepped on it, flew the 3/4 mile home, whipped up my driveway and got out. I was in the house as the police cruiser slowly passed by and left. Whew!

Okay, no bearing on the question, but couldn't help tell the story! :lol:
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...
six
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2015 Chevrolet SS 6MT

Post by six »

I think once you cross state lines, it becomes an FBI issue. The FBI would probably have to pull you over and give you the ticket. :wink:

I've seen numerous times a police officer from a neighboring city chase someone over to my city and was able to give them a ticket. Same with the CHP chasing someone onto city streets. I live in a border city with another county, and sometimes police from the city over in the other county comes over. Don't know if it applies to state lines though. It doesn't, however, apply to bordering countries. Like if you're being chased by San Diego PD or the CHP and you cross over into Mexico (however hard that may be), you're a free man. You do have to deal with the "federales" though.
2015 Heron White Chevrolet SS Sedan 6MT
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

six wrote:You do have to deal with the "federales" though.
"Ay Mon, Chew cot sum grass?"
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
Bill B
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Bill B »

You lucked out there. No real bearing either, but remember in Smokey and the Bandit when Sheriff Buford T. Justice chased Burt Reynolds for 500 miles. Jackie Gleason did a great job in that movie. I remember when the Bandit Edition of the Trans Am came out after the movie.

InlinePaul wrote:Don't know but I'll confess that when I was 18 years old I ran a stop sign in front of a police cruiser that I spotted just as I ran the sign, then because of that, I stepped on it, flew the 3/4 mile home, whipped up my driveway and got out. I was in the house as the police cruiser slowly passed by and left. Whew!

Okay, no bearing on the question, but couldn't help tell the story! :lol:
Bill Berckman
West Chester, Ohio
2007 Honda Element EX AWD 5 Speed MT
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

Rope-Pusher wrote:"Raawww arrrrRRRRRRr AAArrRR?"
Fickset.
'15 Mazda 3 iSport Hatch 6MT
'11 Ford Fiesta Hatchback SE 5MT
'14 Giant Escape City 24MT
'97 Honda Civic EX 4AT - Retired @ 184,001 mi

For Pony!
ClutchDisc
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2009 Mazda 5 2.3L 5MT

Post by ClutchDisc »

My sister knows a former police officer, and she asked her the question. Basically they will only pursue you over a state line if the situation is dangerous. And even then they will radio over to an other officer in that jurisdiction.
09 Mazda 5 2.3 5-speed manual 171k
11 Subaru Forester auto :( 113k
92 Ford Mustang LX 5.0 5-speed manual 151k
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Seams tummy the offense was in the first jurisdiction. I think that pursuing beyond the bounds of that jurisdiction in order to apprehend and fine/jail/rough-up/etc. the offending driver would be bounded by some sort of intra-jurisdiction agreement, similar to extradition treaties. Notification of the now-local authorities might be a condition of the agreement, but if not it is just a professional courtesy. Without knowing details of such agreements, it would be difficult to know how or why the charges could be pursued by law enforcement from the new jurisdiction if the offense only occurred in the original jurisdiction.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
six
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2015 Chevrolet SS 6MT

Post by six »

ClutchDisc wrote:My sister knows a former police officer, and she asked her the question. Basically they will only pursue you over a state line if the situation is dangerous. And even then they will radio over to an other officer in that jurisdiction.
Wow, people in border cities must have it easy. They can speed with reckless abandon, and if a cop notices, just make a run for the next state! So simple!
2015 Heron White Chevrolet SS Sedan 6MT