Tipping

Off-topic posts, quotes of the day and anything else you just would like to vent to the world. PG-13 or below PLEASE!
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Tipping

Post by AHTOXA »

So let's hear some feedback here. I have a dillema on hand.

I'm currently eating at BWW. Patio has 3 people when I sit down. Waiter walks around twice pays me no mind. Another staffer came out and asked me if I had been helped - 10 mins after I sit down. Same waiter that ignored me comes by and takes my order. Slow, lethargic and lazy. He also assumed I wanted ranch with wings as they normally ask whether one would like ranch or blue cheese on the side.

Here is my dillema. I always tip at least 25% and feel terrible not tipping or low tipping, however cases like these are when I tip low or don't tip at all. I always feel bad because I have worked for tips before and I know what it's like but I also believe that one has to put in at least some effort into it.

What do you say? Are there times when you do not tip or tip much lower due to poor service? Do you feel obligated to tip regardless?
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
DarkPilot
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2014 Focus ST 6 Spd Manua

Re: Tipping

Post by DarkPilot »

In this case it is okay to tip less, since the tip is supposed to be a reward for good service. If service fails to live up to your expectations, then tip what you feel is appropriate, I`d say around 10-15% if you usually tip 25%.
Project Brick Shithouse: Phase I RIP, Scrapped 8/12/09
2003 VW Golf "Unit 2" 2008-2014.
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

TIPS is an acronym meaning "To Ensure Proper Service" and if you didn't get the proper service you shouldn't feel obligated. However, if the server acknowledges your wait and apologizes for the inconvenience you can use your discretion. I try to give the benefit of the doubt most of the time, but am not afraid to hold back on a tip.

A very similar thing happened to me yesterday at our local BWW. Suffice it to say we'll be going out of our way to go to the one in Lakeville, about 10 miles, because their service is always good regardless of how busy they are.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter

Post by AHTOXA »

Just did the math after the fact and I ended up tipping 12.5 percent. Still over tipped based on service but I would have had a hard time tipping less.
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

At 12.5% you may not have sent a message that you were unsatisfied with your service, as I suspect that there are plenty of people who consider 10% appropriate for normal service. You certainly weren't saying it was exceptionally good service though!
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

I usually tip 20-25% at a full-service restaurant. I have no qualms about tipping low for poor service. If you cant leave the attitude at home, you probably shouldnt be in a customer service job. Been there, done that.
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter

Post by AHTOXA »

I actually can't remember the last time I did not tip at all at a full service joint. Oh well; I need to reassess my tipping standards for waiters of poor service.
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

I would have left him a note: "Seabiscuit in the 3rd Race"

There are times when service is so poor it ruins the dining experience - I feel they owe ME a tip, to insure patronage
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter

Post by AHTOXA »

Agreed. In retrospect I realize that today I should not have tipped at all, because the whole vibe was that I inconvenienced him by being there and him having to bring me food.

At the end, I wasn't even asked if I was finished or wanted another beer, I was just brought a check. Nothing says 'get out, hurry' more than that.

On a tangent - has anyone ever worked in an industry where your income was based on tips? Have you experienced your coworkers having a self of entitlement to receive a tip? I think that's basically what's going on with many sub-par workers in the service industry.
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter

Post by tankinbeans »

I've never worked a job thay relied on tips and hope I never do. I worked Walmart for 3 years and that was bad enough.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter

Post by AHTOXA »

I worked as a valet on and off. It was a side gig for a while while I was in my very early 20's. It paid great, but the downside was that I worked very late Friday and Saturday nights, thus on those weekends I missed out on the regular stuff 20 year olds do, like drinking too much and getting laid.
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
six
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2015 Chevrolet SS 6MT

Post by six »

BWW?

Tips in America, although customary, is not mandatory. I actually consider your regular at least 25% tip to be rather excessive. Maybe money flows differently where you live, but over here, if you tip 25%, the next time you come to the restaurant, you're VIP. I don't think I've ever tipped more than 20%, although I usually tip ~18%. If there's poor service, I still tip, but just an absurdly low amount, like 5%. Then, I never go back.
2015 Heron White Chevrolet SS Sedan 6MT
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter

Post by tankinbeans »

Buffalo Wild Wings.

I usually move the decimal place, double it, and round to the nearest dollar.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter

Post by AHTOXA »

six wrote:BWW?

Tips in America, although customary, is not mandatory. I actually consider your regular at least 25% tip to be rather excessive. Maybe money flows differently where you live, but over here, if you tip 25%, the next time you come to the restaurant, you're VIP. I don't think I've ever tipped more than 20%, although I usually tip ~18%. If there's poor service, I still tip, but just an absurdly low amount, like 5%. Then, I never go back.
California and a VIP after just a 25% tip? Does not compute.
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
six
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2015 Chevrolet SS 6MT

Post by six »

:lol:
The richer the place, the less you can expect from tips. The filthy rich are notoriously cheap. The most generous tippers are usually the "little" people. I don't know if it's the same where you are, but most, if not all, restaurants here have mandatory 18% tips for parties greater than a certain amount of people, just to be sure.
2015 Heron White Chevrolet SS Sedan 6MT