Do you participate in sanctioned motorsports?

Off-topic posts, quotes of the day and anything else you just would like to vent to the world. PG-13 or below PLEASE!

Do you participate in sanctioned motorsports?

Autocross
20%
Rallycross
No votes
Performance driving events (track days)
7%
Drifting
No votes
Wheel-to-wheel competition racing
13%
Time-distance rally
No votes
Drag Racing
7%
None
53%

Total votes: 15

AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Re: Do you participate in sanctioned motorsports?

Post by AHTOXA »

Cos,

Thing is, autocross is what I am least interested in.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Post by Shadow »

I'm surprised that we don't have more drag racers here. When I was a kid, I lived for drag racing. Almost every Friday night, I'd head down with a group of friends to Raceway Park (in Englishtown, NJ) to race my car on "Street Night" against my friends and whatever other car I happened to line up against. It was A LOT of fun.

Drag racing really helped me develop a lot of skills. I learned how to launch a powerful RWD car to the point that I'm at the very edge of traction (and on street tires). I learned how to powershift consistently. I learned the difference between staging shallow and staging deep, and which one would give me an advantage in time trials vs bracket racing. I learned how to cut a good light, which isn't always easy with a stickshift car. Most important, I learned how to be very consistent, which is what you need to do if you want to win (especially in bracket racing).
six
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2015 Chevrolet SS 6MT

Post by six »

What was your fastest time? And in what car? Slip, if you still have it :wink:
2015 Heron White Chevrolet SS Sedan 6MT
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Post by Shadow »

six wrote:What was your fastest time? And in what car? Slip, if you still have it :wink:
I'd have to dig out the old slip from somewhere deep in my closet. But the fastest was my '91 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD. It had a few basic upgrades (HKS Powerflow intake, Full HKS exhaust, hybrid turbo running 21 psi via an HKS EVC, and a PFC-Fcon with upgraded injectors). The car would run low 12s all day long on pump gas. I'd have to find the time slip, but I believe my fastest time ever was a 12.23 @ 115 mph. I could have made the car faster, but I was at the point where I'd really have to start modifying the car and thus affecting driveability, not to mention the $$$.

Both of my old 5.0 Mustangs were mid-13 second cars. My old M3 (E36) ran low 14s pretty consistently. I remember trying so hard to get the car into the 13s, but it never happened. I think my best was like 14.20s. The slowest car I've ever owned was a '93 Mazda MX-6 V6 (stick, of course) that I ran just one time just for the fun of it. It ran a high 15....I think it was 15.80s.
six
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2015 Chevrolet SS 6MT

Post by six »

Cool beans :)
2015 Heron White Chevrolet SS Sedan 6MT
94Corolla5Speed
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 1994 Corolla, 1990 Miata

Post by 94Corolla5Speed »

If I didn't have the weak 1.6 diff and a clutch that could start slipping any day now, I would love to try drag racing. I would probably not make it below 17.5 but I would have fun :lol:
ra64t
Master Standardshifter

Post by ra64t »

I highly recommend karting. I raced cars for a few years but gave it up and went back to karting. More fun, more racing and more bang for the buck.

This is rental karting, where anyone can show up with nothing and race. This was a national event in california. There are local leagues at indoor outdoor tracks across the country, typical costs are $50-100/event.

This is a TAG kart race. The karts are 125cc 2 cycles, producing around 28-30hp. Much better performance in terms of handling and acceleration vs. the rental karts. Most people own their own karts. A good complete used package is around $3000, and including entry, gas, tires, engine wear, misc parts and crash damage repair, it costs about $100-200 for a local club race.

My racing blog: aracingdream.com