Honest Engines

Off-topic posts, quotes of the day and anything else you just would like to vent to the world. PG-13 or below PLEASE!
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 10502
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:44 pm
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty
Location: Greater Detroit Area

Honest Engines

Postby Rope-Pusher » Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:57 am

From WardsAuto, their 2013 list of 10 Best Engines:

http://wardsauto.com/vehicles-amp-techn ... ency-gains
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"

User avatar
Squint
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 3390
Joined: Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:44 pm
Location: KY

Re: Honest Engines

Postby Squint » Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:26 pm

Diesel-engine aficionados will notice no oil burners on this year’s list. That’s because the only eligible vehicle, the Audi Q7 TDI, with a new 3.0L turbodiesel, was unavailable for evaluation.

But next year’s competition will feature several diesels from auto makers such as General Motors, Ford, Chrysler and Mazda, as well as the Audi Q7.

So do they not look at the VW diesels? I would assume some of the BMW diesels got left off because of price, but can't you get a 3 series under $55k?

That's the only part of the article that I was confused about...
'15 Mazda 3 iSport Hatch 6MT
'11 Ford Fiesta Hatchback SE 5MT
'14 Giant Escape City 24MT
'97 Honda Civic EX 4AT - Retired @ 184,001 mi

For Pony!

Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 10502
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:44 pm
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty
Location: Greater Detroit Area

Re: Honest Engines

Postby Rope-Pusher » Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:59 pm

Squint wrote:
Diesel-engine aficionados will notice no oil burners on this year’s list. That’s because the only eligible vehicle, the Audi Q7 TDI, with a new 3.0L turbodiesel, was unavailable for evaluation.

But next year’s competition will feature several diesels from auto makers such as General Motors, Ford, Chrysler and Mazda, as well as the Audi Q7.

So do they not look at the VW diesels? I would assume some of the BMW diesels got left off because of price, but can't you get a 3 series under $55k?

That's the only part of the article that I was confused about...
Wards 10 Best Engines is like Motor Trend COTY - Must be new or at least substantially changed. Chrysler Pornstar V-6 in Ram 1500 is new usage, prolly with its own cam specs, intake tract, fool-n-spark calibration, 5000+ Lb curb weight and 6500 lb towing, etc.

For the moats part, Wards already knows about who will be offering what new engines next year.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"

User avatar
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 7108
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2005 11:35 pm
Cars: '16 Golf TSI SE
Location: Dutchess County

Re: Honest Engines

Postby potownrob » Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:38 am

no inline-5 love = no potownrob love :evil:
BUT DEM FAHGLEITZ!! :shock:

For Pizza!!!!

User avatar
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 7108
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2005 11:35 pm
Cars: '16 Golf TSI SE
Location: Dutchess County

Re: Honest Engines

Postby potownrob » Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:41 am

Squint wrote:So do they not look at the VW diesels? I would assume some of the BMW diesels got left off because of price, but can't you get a 3 series under $55k?

That's the only part of the article that I was confused about...

The editors of the article wrote: Diesel-engine aficionados will notice no oil burners on this year’s list. That’s because the only eligible vehicle, the Audi Q7 TDI, with a new 3.0L turbodiesel, was unavailable for evaluation.

But next year’s competition will feature several diesels from auto makers such as General Motors, Ford, Chrysler and Mazda, as well as the Audi Q7.
BUT DEM FAHGLEITZ!! :shock:

For Pizza!!!!

User avatar
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 15962
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:36 pm
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT
Location: Glocester, RI
Contact:

Re: Honest Engines

Postby theholycow » Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:48 am

potownrob wrote:no inline-5 love = no potownrob love :evil:

A random neuron fired on reading this and I got an idea: I5 diesel. Googled it. Apparently the new 2014 Ford Transit will have or offer Ford's 3.2-liter I-5 Duratorq diesel. There was a Mercedes Benz I5 turbodiesel in the early 1980s, but it makes my engine look powerful by comparison:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercedes-Benz_OM617
http://www.4btswaps.com/forum/showthrea ... 4c63d888c1
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD

User avatar
Squint
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 3390
Joined: Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:44 pm
Location: KY

Re: Honest Engines

Postby Squint » Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:13 pm

potownrob wrote:
Squint wrote:So do they not look at the VW diesels? I would assume some of the BMW diesels got left off because of price, but can't you get a 3 series under $55k?

That's the only part of the article that I was confused about...

The editors of the article wrote: Diesel-engine aficionados will notice no oil burners on this year’s list. That’s because the only eligible vehicle, the Audi Q7 TDI, with a new 3.0L turbodiesel, was unavailable for evaluation.

But next year’s competition will feature several diesels from auto makers such as General Motors, Ford, Chrysler and Mazda, as well as the Audi Q7.

They didn't explain like RP did about engines needing to have overhaul or be new to qualify. That's where I was confused. Back to normal levels of confusion currently :lol: :lol:
'15 Mazda 3 iSport Hatch 6MT
'11 Ford Fiesta Hatchback SE 5MT
'14 Giant Escape City 24MT
'97 Honda Civic EX 4AT - Retired @ 184,001 mi

For Pony!

User avatar
bk7794
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 1487
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:16 am
Cars: 00 Civic (Stock)
Location: Central CT

Re: Honest Engines

Postby bk7794 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:33 pm

Ah it all makes sense on how this works.
2000 Honda Civic EX 5 Speed
Volvo S60R 6 Speed

Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 10502
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:44 pm
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty
Location: Greater Detroit Area

Re: Honest Engines

Postby Rope-Pusher » Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:48 pm

"To be eligible, an engine must be all-new or significantly improved and be available in a production vehicle that will be on sale by first-quarter 2013. To keep the competition in the realm of mainstream vehicles, base price is capped at $55,000."

They whittled down the field from 41 entrys to the final top 10.


http://wardsauto.com/vehicles-amp-techn ... pid-change
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"

User avatar
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 7108
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2005 11:35 pm
Cars: '16 Golf TSI SE
Location: Dutchess County

Re: Honest Engines

Postby potownrob » Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:46 pm

theholycow wrote:
potownrob wrote:no inline-5 love = no potownrob love :evil:

A random neuron fired on reading this and I got an idea: I5 diesel.....
i was at least half-kidding when i wrote that. 8) i do find it funny how the inline-5 sounds so much better than most inline-4s i've heard, and how other companies could have potentially competed more in the past with inline-5s in entry level luxury vehicles as opposed to being looked down on for using thrashy, buzzy and/or loud 4-bangers. i do understand (reluctantly) how a forced induction I-4 can be better than an I-5.
BUT DEM FAHGLEITZ!! :shock:

For Pizza!!!!

Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 10502
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:44 pm
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty
Location: Greater Detroit Area

Re: Honest Engines

Postby Rope-Pusher » Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:46 am

potownrob wrote:
theholycow wrote:
potownrob wrote:no inline-5 love = no potownrob love :evil:

A random neuron fired on reading this and I got an idea: I5 diesel.....
i was at least half-kidding when i wrote that. 8) i do find it funny how the inline-5 sounds so much better than most inline-4s i've heard, and how other companies could have potentially competed more in the past with inline-5s in entry level luxury vehicles as opposed to being looked down on for using thrashy, buzzy and/or loud 4-bangers. i do understand (reluctantly) how a forced induction I-4 can be better than an I-5.

Henry Ford was looking at an inline 5 back in the 1920s when Chevrolet started kicking his butt. My friend asked about it and the folks at the Henry Ford Museum ran some copies of photos of it. It didn't say why, but Ol' Henry said "NOT!" and ended up doing the flathead V8 instead and the rest is histrionics.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"

Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 10502
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:44 pm
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty
Location: Greater Detroit Area

Re: Honest Engines

Postby Rope-Pusher » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:12 pm

Well That Sucks the fun out of the engine
The question comes up from time to time: How do you folks at WardsAuto, when running a 10 Best Engines entry through its paces in daily driving, isolate an engine from the rest of the drivetrain, particularly the transmission?

In truth, it’s not easy. An engine is only as good as its transmission, and vice versa, and it’s also true that unpleasant sounds or vibrations could be traced to the gearbox rather than internal combustion.

Some of us also had high hopes Jaguar’s all-new 3.0L supercharged V-6 would seriously challenge Audi’s excellent 3-time Ward’s 10 Best Engines winner, also a 3.0L blown V-6.

The Jaguar engine in the XF makes more horsepower and torque, and its 8-speed automatic should have an advantage over the Audi S5’s 6-speed manual.

In our comparison, the Jag beats the Audi by several miles per gallon, but the XF’s transmission spends too much time hunting for gears and, as one WardsAuto editor writes on his score sheet, “sucks the fun out of the engine.”

http://wardsauto.com/vehicles-amp-techn ... c4enews=42
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"

Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 10502
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:44 pm
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty
Location: Greater Detroit Area

Re: Honest Engines

Postby Rope-Pusher » Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:40 pm

motores honestos

VW OPENS ENGINE PLANT IN MEXICO
Volkswagen is well on its way to becoming the dominant automaker in the industry. It now has 100 manufacturing plants worldwide with the opening of its $550 million engine plant in Silao, Mexico. The facility has the capacity to make 330,000 engines annually to supply its two North American assembly plants. This year VW will have the largest production capacity outside its home country than any other auto manufacturer at 77 percent.

https://www.volkswagen-media-services.c ... hkeit.html
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"

User avatar
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 7108
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2005 11:35 pm
Cars: '16 Golf TSI SE
Location: Dutchess County

Re: Honest Engines

Postby potownrob » Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:06 am

Rope-Pusher wrote:motores honestos

VW OPENS ENGINE PLANT IN MEXICO
Volkswagen is well on its way to becoming the dominant automaker in the industry. It now has 100 manufacturing plants worldwide with the opening of its $550 million engine plant in Silao, Mexico. The facility has the capacity to make 330,000 engines annually to supply its two North American assembly plants. This year VW will have the largest production capacity outside its home country than any other auto manufacturer at 77 percent.

https://www.volkswagen-media-services.c ... hkeit.html
now, the real question is, are they gonna keep making the 2.5?? [/half-kidding] :o :wink: :roll: :lol:
BUT DEM FAHGLEITZ!! :shock:

For Pizza!!!!

User avatar
bk7794
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 1487
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:16 am
Cars: 00 Civic (Stock)
Location: Central CT

Re: Honest Engines

Postby bk7794 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:47 am

Rope-Pusher wrote:motores honestos

VW OPENS ENGINE PLANT IN MEXICO
Volkswagen is well on its way to becoming the dominant automaker in the industry. It now has 100 manufacturing plants worldwide with the opening of its $550 million engine plant in Silao, Mexico. The facility has the capacity to make 330,000 engines annually to supply its two North American assembly plants. This year VW will have the largest production capacity outside its home country than any other auto manufacturer at 77 percent.

https://www.volkswagen-media-services.c ... hkeit.html

squint knows how I feel about this....
2000 Honda Civic EX 5 Speed
Volvo S60R 6 Speed


Return to “Rants and Raves”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 13 guests