Honest Engines

Off-topic posts, quotes of the day and anything else you just would like to vent to the world. PG-13 or below PLEASE!
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Re: Honest Engines

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Dishonest Engines?

4-CYLINDER WITH V8 SOUND- from Autoline Daily
Downsized turbocharged engines can be a great way to improve efficiency as long as the driver can stay out of the turbo. But that can be difficult to do in the real world and Ford, the producer of millions of EcoBoost engines sees this as a bit of a problem. So, the automaker has filed a patent that would trick drivers into staying in the efficiency envelope. It would do this by piping artificial engine noise into the car to make it seem like it has a bigger engine. Over time Ford believes this will train the driver to shift earlier and thus make them drive more efficiently.

http://www.autoblog.com/2016/05/09/ford ... l-savings/
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Own 727 Horses and the corral that contains them for ONLY $39,995
http://www.autonews.com/article/2016061 ... hp-mustang
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Nissan's new VC-T engine rewrites rules of small turbocharged engine
The turbo-charged, 2.0-liter, four-cylinder VC-T engine averages 27 percent better fuel economy than the 3.5-liter V-6 engine it replaces, with comparable power and torque. Nissan says the new engine matches the diesel engine in torque -- the amount of thrust that helps determine the car's acceleration.

The engine is also cheaper than today's advanced turbo-charged diesel engines, Nissan engineers said at the briefing at the company's technical and design center in Atsugi, south of Tokyo. They said it should also meet nitrogen oxide and other emissions rules in certain markets without requiring costly treatment systems
http://www.autonews.com/article/2016081 ... news-daily
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

MUSTANG GETS PERFORMANCE PACKAGES - From Autoline Daily
In Michigan it seems like 90% of the time you hear a vehicle with loud exhaust, it’s going to be a Mustang and it looks like that trend is going to continue. Ford is now offering performance packs for EcoBoost and V8-powered Mustangs. A calibration kit for the EcoBoost engine bumps horsepower to 335, which is 25 more and torque jumps an impressive 70 lb-ft to 390. There are 3 different power upgrades for V8 Mustangs that provide up to 37 more horsepower, an increased redline and allowing shifts without lifting on the throttle for manual transmissions. We recently reported Ford Performance sales were going like gangbusters, but Mustang sales plummeted 32% last month, and it was outsold by the Chevrolet Camaro for the first time in years.

Mui no comprehende - what is to keep me from doing a no-lift shift on any Amish vehicle?

https://media.ford.com/content/fordmedi ... -and-.html
IMBoring25

Post by IMBoring25 »

Sounds like the difference is they won't deny warranty on the basis of abuse if you buy that package.
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

IMBoring25 wrote:Sounds like the difference is they won't deny warranty on the basis of abuse if you buy that package.
Why do I get the feeling that throttle will still be cut even if the pedal is matted? An advantage to the electric throttle system?
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

tankinbeans wrote:
IMBoring25 wrote:Sounds like the difference is they won't deny warranty on the basis of abuse if you buy that package.
Why do I get the feeling that throttle will still be cut even if the pedal is matted? An advantage to the electric throttle system?
So, F N 1 was to be shifting as the engine was at or near the redline, and the accelerator pedal was held depressed, wooden the engine just run up against the rev limiter and the fuel injectors alternately shut off often enough to hold the engine rpms at the redline?

As soon as the upshift was completed, the engine rpms would drop as the clutch was engaged and the rev limiter would be out of job again, right? No harem, no chickens. What else would they have it be doing?
IMBoring25

Post by IMBoring25 »

Doing a little reading, I suspect they've integrated a bit from the aftermarket called a WOT Box. It interrupts the engine power in 25-millisecond intervals during a no-lift shift to provide an inhumanly-fast opportunity for the synchros to do their job more efficiently (and presumably without quite so much brutality on the clutch, synchros, u-joints, and axles).
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

IMBoring25 wrote:Doing a little reading, I suspect they've integrated a bit from the aftermarket called a WOT Box. It interrupts the engine power in 25-millisecond intervals during a no-lift shift to provide an inhumanly-fast opportunity for the synchros to do their job more efficiently (and presumably without quite so much brutality on the clutch, synchros, u-joints, and axles).
...but when the clutch pedal is depressed, no matter how sad that may seem, the trans and its synchros don't care didly-squat what the engine is doing.

That is, of course, assuming that the clutch is also fully "open" - that it is unclamped and no torque is being transmitted through it.

Have you ever tried putting the shifter into 1st gear, standing on the clutch pedal, and flooring the gas pedal? Sometimes, the clutch friction disk flutters around and will transmit enough torque for the vehicle to begin to creep forward. The engine doesn't even have to be bouncing off the rev limiter for this to happen, but it is generally a high rpm thang. Still, unless they are rev-matching to the next gear even with the accelerator pedal being mashed, I don't understand what they are doing that is different/beneficial compared to the standard rev limiter. I am curious (Yellow).
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

It's your usual engine oil starvation/potential fiery death situation

The automaker has issued a stop sale and recall of GT350s and GT350Rs built between Feb. 24, 2015 and August 30, 2016 -- that spans the 2015, 2016 and 2017 model years -- over a potentially faulty engine oil cooler tube assembly.

Read more: http://autoweek.com/article/recalls/rec ... z4OIlYnLCB

"Blah, blah, blah bad hose crimp. Yadda, yadda, yadda no fix until next year - don't drive it until then"

Sounds like more than a bad hose crimp tummy.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

FORD REVEALS TRACK-ONLY SHELBY MUSTANG - Autoline Daily
The Shelby Mustang GT350R is damn near a full-blown track car already, but Ford is upping the ante. It’s now come out with a non-street legal version of the car that is designed for road racing in Trans Am, NASA and SCCA events. The entire interior has been ripped out of the car and the chassis has been modified to include a 6-point roll cage. A prepared Ford Performance 5.2L V8 lurks under the hood, which is mated to a Tremec manual transmission. Other improvements include a new exhaust system, race suspension, performance brakes, front splitter and an adjustable carbon fiber rear wing. Ford says the Shelby FP350S will be arriving on dealer lots soon.

https://media.ford.com/content/fordmedi ... p350s.html
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Ford cancels $1.6 billion Mexico plant; hybrid Mustang and F-150 on the way
Read more: http://autoweek.com/article/car-news/fo ... z4UzdxqK59
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

Hybrid Rustang: Neat. RWD (right?) hybrid coupe for a market segment that hasn't seen much hybrid stuff.

Hybrid F150: Got a little ADHD there, Ford? It will bring in a few more potential customers from competitors, but I suspect more of its sales will cut into buyers of the seemingly successful Ecoboost F150. (Along those lines, is the Ecoboost Mustang gaining any traction?)

Also in the article:

Fully electric SUV with 300 mile range coming soon from Ford, 238 mile GM Bolt EV compact hatchback, 200 mile Tesla Model 3, next generation of Nissan Leaf compact hatchback at $17,000 price point targeted to have range similar to the Bolt.

I haven't been keeping up with news but hey, it looks like electric cars are becoming more realistic. I could potentially buy a $17,000 car with enough capacity to do my 80 miles per day in snow with the heat blasting and wipers/headlights on. Wonder how much that 300 mile Ford SUV will be, then I could do unexpected things that are an extra 50 miles out of my way after work instead of absolutely HAVING to go home.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
IMBoring25

Post by IMBoring25 »

I don't think that price point will be reasonable for quite some time. They'll get cheaper, but there are still a lot of very expensive metals in the batteries, which is what it will take to get you to 80 miles while pumping an inefficient resistive heater.

Conversely, at that price point, you have to count the tax credit to get anywhere close, and you're looking at a smart, an i-MiEV, or a Leaf at that price point, none of which would have that range in that usage scenario. If you could plug in at work, the puzzle gets much easier (but the reasons the environmentalists say EVs won't bring down the electric grid crumble at that point).
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

IMBoring25 wrote:If you could plug in at work
I might be able to. I work at a college, and colleges tend to be supportive of such things. I might get them to install a charging station, but if not, it seems pretty likely I could get a reserved space next to a regular 15amp outlet and get a slow supplemental charge all day. Of course they'd probably have to publicize it and I'd have to do an occasional newspaper interview or something, but I guess I could handle that for the sake of (free) charging.

It would suck all the joy out of driving though, that's for sure.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD