The MPG thread

Off-topic posts, quotes of the day and anything else you just would like to vent to the world. PG-13 or below PLEASE!
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Re: The MPG thread

Post by tankinbeans »

The Focus has only been lent out once, but the Blazer has been lent out for extended periods twice... never again though. I'm done having to beg for my car back.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
monkeyhunk
Senior Standardshifter

Post by monkeyhunk »

Agreed. You'd be hard pressed to get me to loan a vehicle out. I'd possibly contribute something to this thread but "miles" and "gallons" make no sense. :D
IMBoring25

Post by IMBoring25 »

"I see what you did there," but I'm going to twist it a little bit and agree that "miles per gallon" makes no sense.

Putting the fuel consumption in the denominator makes the question not how much fuel it takes to go somewhere but how far you can go on a given amount of fuel. The former, however, is what you usually want to know.

A side effect of flipping the ratio is that it obfuscates the true amount of fuel involved when making comparisons. If you go from getting 5 MPG to getting 5.5 MPG you save more fuel than going from 15 MPG to 20 MPG. If you start at 30 MPG, you have to get 60 MPG to save as much fuel as you did going from 15 to 20.
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

IMBoring25 wrote:A side effect of flipping the ratio is that it obfuscates the true amount of fuel involved when making comparisons. If you go from getting 5 MPG to getting 5.5 MPG you save more fuel than going from 15 MPG to 20 MPG. If you start at 30 MPG, you have to get 60 MPG to save as much fuel as you did going from 15 to 20.
This is why websites like Edmunds have a "Car Cost vs Fuel Savings - AKA Gas Guzzler Trade-In" calculator. I still agree that it is unclear with our current system and the gallons per 100 miles shows usage far better.
'15 Mazda 3 iSport Hatch 6MT
'11 Ford Fiesta Hatchback SE 5MT
'14 Giant Escape City 24MT
'97 Honda Civic EX 4AT - Retired @ 184,001 mi

For Pony!
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter

Post by tankinbeans »

Between both cars I've been using 4.37 gallons per 100 miles.

22.88 mpg for you US types.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
ClutchDisc
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2009 Mazda 5 2.3L 5MT

Post by ClutchDisc »

Just got 22.5 on the S-10 today.
09 Mazda 5 2.3 5-speed manual 171k
11 Subaru Forester auto :( 113k
92 Ford Mustang LX 5.0 5-speed manual 151k
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter

Post by tankinbeans »

Last tank in Babe was 28.2! I can tell she's breaking in since the average has gone up steadily in the 740 miles I've driven her.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

tankinbeans wrote:Last tank in Babe was 28.2! I can tell she's breaking in since the average has gone up steadily in the 740 miles I've driven her.
You've driven over 700 miles in less than a week? Or am I mis-remembering when you got the vehicle?

For Pony!
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter

Post by tankinbeans »

2 weeks tomorrow
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

tankinbeans wrote:2 weeks tomorrow
You're on track for over 19,000 miles/year. Is this normal driving for you?

For Pony!
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter

Post by tankinbeans »

Usually it's closer to 15k.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Accordian to the trip confuser, Diesel Wrangler Unlimited got 26 mpg on a 400 mile mostly highway trip yesterday - even driving and sitting through rush hour traffic on the way out of town in the morning and on the way back into town in the late afternoon.

Refilling the tank, nozzle clicked off at 10.2 galleons, but maybe it wasn't as full as when I filled it that morning before the trip. I'd tend to believe the trip computer before I thought this thing was getting close to 40 mpg.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

Those trip confusers can be quite inaccurate, but I agree with your assessment. More tanks and a continued log of data will tell the real story.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter

Post by tankinbeans »

theholycow wrote:Those trip confusers can be quite inaccurate, but I agree with your assessment. More tanks and a continued log of data will tell the real story.
I've never taken those confusers at face value and have always hand quackulated my mileage. My average over the last 2 weeks is about 25 and change (800 miles roughly.)
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

tankinbeans wrote:
theholycow wrote:Those trip confusers can be quite inaccurate, but I agree with your assessment. More tanks and a continued log of data will tell the real story.
I've never taken those confusers at face value and have always hand quackulated my mileage. My average over the last 2 weeks is about 25 and change (800 miles roughly.)
Still, even if I added 2 gallons to the fill-up fuel, the fuel mileage would be almost 31 mpg.
About the time that they stopped listing instantaneous mpg, they also changed how the average mpg is computed. It is now more of a running average, weighted in consideration of previous consumption. You can't just reset it to start from an instant in time going forward.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"