McCain or Obama

Off-topic posts, quotes of the day and anything else you just would like to vent to the world. PG-13 or below PLEASE!

Who would you vote for as the President of the US?

John McCain
21%
Barack Obama
63%
Other
16%

Total votes: 43

vedran
Master Standardshifter

Re: McCain or Obama

Post by vedran »

ron paul :D

between the two, i'd probably go with obama

i mean, just take a look at mccain. he looks ridicilous

2012 VW GTI - 6MT
2001 Infiniti QX4 - 4AT
snikro
Senior Standardshifter

Post by snikro »

Yeah ron paul. But I'm voting for barack because among other things mccain allegedly doesn't even know how the use the internet. To me that's just a sign of not being in touch with today's world.
'73 Schwinn Suburban
'85 Honda Aero 50 (Sold)

IMBoring25

Post by IMBoring25 »

For those who've made the Romney --> Obama and Paul --> Obama moves, could you elaborate on what your reasoning was? There's basically zero policy common ground between either of them and Obama.
subzero
Master Standardshifter

Post by subzero »

obama. i agree with much of his political views and he seems to genuinely be for the people. besides, mccain is just gunna be an exact copy of george bush, who the f**k wants to see that happen?!
FREE ROMAN!
SteveUK
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2011 Ford Fiesta Zetec S

Post by SteveUK »

One thing that does cause me concern is that it would seem from the TV and some posts here that US voters will tend to vote on who a candidate is and what they look like or think about things, rather than what their policies are.

Now, we do not have that system here. I would imagine that I would vote for the party ethos. For example, from what I have read I would be classed as Democrat. Therefore, I would vote for the Democratic Party candidate. I would not even entertain the idea of voting for a Republican as I do not believe in thier policies.

For example, our prime minister is apointed by the Queen. He or she is chosen by HM, the only requisite is that "He or she can survive the house". This basically means be able to form a stable Government, ie this is usually the leader of the party with the most seats - though this is not always the case. The Prime Minister will continue to serve as PM until the Queen asks him to resign or the PM resigns of his or her own choice.

There are several political parties here and they all have their own policies. We all vote for the party that has the policies that are closest to our own heart. It doesn't really matter whom the leader is.

Interestingly, you don't even have to be British to be Prime Minister of the United Kingdom, unlike you have to be born in the US to be President.
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

SteveUK wrote:One thing that does cause me concern is that it would seem from the TV and some posts here that US voters will tend to vote on who a candidate is and what they look like or think about things, rather than what their policies are.
What is visible is very important in todays world. Take a look at the first ever televised presidential debate. By debating standards, Kennedy and Nixon tied. But ask most viewers, and Kennedy won. Its simply because he looked better in the broadcast.

As for the president having to be American, that makes perfect sense based on the history of the country and the way it was formed. At the time, we didnt want any outsiders to come in and bring us back to the colonial state we were before. Now of course its more tradition than anything else, but thats beside the point.
SteveUK
Master Standardshifter

Post by SteveUK »

I understand what you say about the visual being important, but I find tha totally crazy. Do you want the good looking surgeon operating on you, or the ugly but very good one?

I just have issues with the you have to be a natural born citizen. I have no problem with you needing to be an American citizen to become president, but if you were born out of the US and then take US citizenship you are still not allowed to become president. Surely that is not equal and the whole "all men are created equal" is a bit of a lie?
Nychold
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2007 Scion tC

Post by Nychold »

All men are created equal is a lie. It's never been true in this country. If all men were created equal, then every vote would count the same. It doesn't. Each vote counts toward a percentage for the state, and the state votes unanimously for one person or the other, even if the split between the state was 51% - 49%.
Watercolor: I'm a grade A bone sucker!
Me: :shock: :) :D :twisted:
Johnf514
Cars: '07 Mazda3, '06 Ninja 636

Post by Johnf514 »

I'm still undecided on the issue. Obama doesn't have the experience, but makes a great figurehead. With the right administration, he could do good things.

McCain has the experience, but does suffer slightly from the disconnectedness that Bush has. He would not be the best figurehead, but he can carry himself relatively well and does not require a strong administration.

On the issues - both parties have become so similar in the past two decades that the differences on issues seem minor to me.
2007 Mazda3
Mods: 15% tint, Eibach ProKit
2006 Ninja 636
Mods: NOS & sidecar
SteveUK
Master Standardshifter

Post by SteveUK »

You seem to be putting a lot of thought in to it, which I think is very good. However, I have one question for you.

Experience? If I am right, none of them have ever been president of a country before so none of them really have any experience. That is why they will both have advisors.

There is a joke at the moment that is on the some of the comedy shows over here. Usually told by American comedians. They are saying if McCain wins it will be the first presidency when they will have to protect him not just from assasination by a radicle, but also from the cold and the flu cos he's so old.

Now, it is much funnier when they tell it though.
.insane
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 1998 Ford Contour Slush

Post by .insane »

IMBoring25 wrote:For those who've made the Romney --> Obama and Paul --> Obama moves, could you elaborate on what your reasoning was? There's basically zero policy common ground between either of them and Obama.

I liked Romney and his policies for the most part, and after he dropped, I couldn't find myself supporting McCain, he's not what this country needs right now, we need a radical change which McCain can't provide, so I found myself supporting Paul, and after Paul dropped, I chose Obama, simply because I agree with more of his ideas and policies in general than those of McCain. The mere fact that we have to consider the president dying during his term or during the elections is a serious error in our part he should not be running period. He can't use the internet and he doesn't know a damn thing about the economy which is my biggest concern; at least Obama has a small idea of what the economy is, and is more in touch with technology.
Retired:
'98 Ford Contour (AT) - 130,xxx miles (passed to my brother)
'93 Toyota Tercel (4sp MT) - 190,xxx miles (donated)
SteveUK
Master Standardshifter

Post by SteveUK »

How many non US citizens object to the term "Leader of the Free World"?
permabanned
Master Standardshifter

Post by permabanned »

electoral college is aids, it needs to go. how many other countries do direct elections, and how many have a system like our electrocal college.
95 probe GT
02 yamaha R6
My Flickr
Trev
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: VW Jetta 00'

Post by Trev »

94Corolla5Speed wrote:I wanted Kucinich :( :cry:
+1

Even if he is kinda like a noam.
snikro
Senior Standardshifter

Post by snikro »

SteveUK wrote:How many non US citizens object to the term "Leader of the Free World"?
I disagree and I am a citizen. And it also bugs me how people who live in the US call it "America". America is actually the whole damn continent (that includes NA, CA, and SA). Hence "The United States OF America". :roll:
'73 Schwinn Suburban
'85 Honda Aero 50 (Sold)