Misc Thread VI: Return of the Threadi

Off-topic posts, quotes of the day and anything else you just would like to vent to the world. PG-13 or below PLEASE!
Teamwork
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2015 VW GTI

Re: Misc Thread VI: Return of the Threadi

Post by Teamwork »

potownrob wrote:Glad Rope chimed in there for you. Not to sound foolish (too late) but i would have no clue how to approach your situation, probably since i tend to not put myself in real situations like that (i'm usually put into situations more involuntarily or otherwise in making bad decisions or not changing anything, so do have experience in certain things but definitely not that). i do commend your courage to make changes and have aspirations. i can only recommend doing as much as you can while you're younger as, at least in my experience, the energy and motivation falls off eventually. i only aspire to sit on my butt, which apparenty requires more not sitting on my butt to be able to do more than a couple of days a week. i still will always picture you (whatever you may look like) double clutching down the almighty hempstead turnpike, no matter which luxo SUV you may upgrade to. 8)
This all is very spur of the moment. A director level said the opportunity was open for me, she felt it was a good fit, wanted me to think it over while I was on a fairly big project this summer. The project ended on the 1st of September and I weighed the option and decided that I wanted to go for it. Now it feels like things are moving fast and here I am interviewing in 1.5 hours. I believe it would be a logical step up in progression from where I am at now and would benefit me on a short/long term basis. I used to work on Hempstead turnpike in my real younger days of high school/college but I don't frequent it too much anymore and that's a good thing. The unruly amount of traffic there between 5-7 PM at any given day was ridiculous for a main road that was 3 lanes wide both directions. I just decided that my preference of taste with Long Island traffic is on major highways that turn into 5-7 mph crawls for 10 miles for me- Monday through Friday.
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

yo bro, how'd it go?? you pass the test?? :?: 8) :shock:
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
Teamwork
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2015 VW GTI

Post by Teamwork »

potownrob wrote:yo bro, how'd it go?? you pass the test?? :?: 8) :shock:
As any internal interview to my understanding you can only truly leave it all on the line. This isn't an entry level/basic position so I expect a few internals and a few externals to interview as well. I felt great leaving though and knew that I did the best I could. No regrets in anything I didn't say/did say and now it's in someone else's hands.

Sometimes you can do your best and someone just was a better fit. I'm not holding my breathe but I conducted myself beautifully.
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

rock 'n roll brother!! good luck with the promotion. our lil' teamwork is moving on up!! :D
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Teamwork wrote:
I'm not holding my breathe but I conducted myself beautifully.
Fickset!
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Teamwork wrote: I don't know what happened to me but I just dislike filling up more often with a smaller tank and still achieving over 30 mpg...My range in my GTI is essentially between 280 (a ton of stop and go) to 330 miles. I pretty much have to fill up every 5 days with my routine here as is which isn't horrible but if I literally drove a car with a 15+ gallon fuel tank and not horrendous mileage I could probably go over 1.5 weeks without filling I think.

I remember back in the day I used to see advertisements for TDI Passat which basically said a possibility of 650+ mile range. If I literally had that I could go probably 3 weeks without seeing a gas station lol.
What are you gonna do when you pull up to the supervcharger station and the lines are 4-deep, with each charge taking about an hour?

Owning and operating a battery-electric or plug-in hybrid vehicle must be like driving one's cell phone or lap-top confuser - you keep it in the back of your mind to charge it at every opportunity, because you never know when you will need a full charge and it's too late to think about it when the occasion comes up.
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

I carry extra batteries for my cell phone.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
IMBoring25

Post by IMBoring25 »

That's getting harder to do even with the phones and it's certainly impractical with cars.

Range anxiety is certainly not unique to electrics. I know I often fill my truck back up when it has more range remaining than the Marquis has when it's topped off. It's just considerably more critical with electrics since the range is typically not as generous in the first place and you can't just splash another "ten bucks' worth" in in a couple of minutes.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

theholycow wrote: Image
I tow a solar charger for my Tesla.
Fickset!
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2008 Fusion 2.3L manual

Post by ClutchFork »

Rope-Pusher wrote:
theholycow wrote: I tow a solar charger for my Tesla.
Fickset!
That ought to bring the top speed of the Tesla down to about 45 mph. Close to the Model-T. :lol:
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

In the short term it seems like the Volt model is the best stop-gap for range anxiety. Have a generator onboard to kick in when the battery is depleted, but maybe allow it to operate on any flammable substance. Perhaps like the bio-flux capacitor from Back to the Future II.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

tankinbeans wrote:In the short term it seems like the Volt model is the best stop-gap for range anxiety. Have a generator onboard to kick in when the battery is depleted, but maybe allow it to operate on any flammable substance. Perhaps like the bio-flux capacitor from Back to the Future II.
Why not just have an M1 Abrams Tank as your daily drive? One of the reasons that Chrysler's design was chosen was that the gas turbine engine could run on a myriad of fuels. A tank with no fuel is a sitting duck.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Boys "Get a leg up" in physics because they stand to pee.

https://pjmedia.com/parenting/2017/09/1 ... e-physics/
IMBoring25

Post by IMBoring25 »

For "Any flammable substance," you're looking more at external combustion engines. As an aux generator, neither usable RPM range nor the time to heat up the boiler would be highly critical. Maybe it's finally time for steam.
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

How about the multifuel engine from the deuce and a half?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M35_2½-to ... [quote]The M35A2 is commonly powered by an LDT 465 engine, made by either Continental Motors Company, Hercules, or White Motor Company. It is an in-line, 478-cubic-inch (7.8 L), six-cylinder, turbocharged multifuel engine developing 134 bhp (100 kW) and 330 pound force-feet (447 N·m) of torque. This is coupled with a 5-speed manual transmission and divorced 2-speed transfer case (either a sprag-operated transfer case Rockwell 136-21 or air-operated selectable transfer case Rockwell 136-27). Multifuel engines are designed to operate reliably on a wide variety of fuels, including diesel fuel, jet fuel, kerosene, heating oil or gasoline. [/quote]
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD