Tip for the day by pacroozer

Read the FAQ and still not sure about something? Want to shift faster? Post here.
jomotopia
Cars: 04 STi, 05 Matrix XR (AT)

Post by jomotopia »

snirko you're on the right track. just for an example slipping for 2 seconds at 1k and 1 second at 2k would probably both be about the same wear on the clutch i think.

and eaglecatcher's right, take everything GSR says with a grain, nay, a shaker, of salt.
2013 Subaru Impreza WRX in Orange
snikro
Senior Standardshifter

Post by snikro »

jomotopia wrote:just for an example slipping for 2 seconds at 1k and 1 second at 2k would probably both be about the same wear on the clutch i think.
That's exactly what I wanted to know. Case CLOSED!! :D
'73 Schwinn Suburban
'85 Honda Aero 50 (Sold)

eaglecatcher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '90 300ZXTT 5MT

Post by eaglecatcher »

jomotopia wrote:snirko you're on the right track. just for an example slipping for 2 seconds at 1k and 1 second at 2k would probably both be about the same wear on the clutch i think.

and eaglecatcher's right, take everything GSR says with a grain, nay, a shaker, of salt.
Thats what I was trying to say with my sandpaper analogy. I'm not too good at saying things exactly as I mean them, so metaphors seem to work best for me.
Z1 Intake
Z1 2.5" Test pipes
HKS 65mm Hi-Power Exhaust
AMS Short Shifter
SZ Subframe Spacers
HKS Vein Pressure Converter
DDM Tuning 6000k HIDs
screenname
Master Standardshifter

Post by screenname »

I remember using that very analogy to prove my point against pacroozer at one point.
Hatchman
Master Standardshifter

Post by Hatchman »

snikro wrote:Well, I've seemed to answer my own question by browsing the forum. Found a quote by Prodigal Son, about no gas starts:

"You will have to clutch out slower with a no-gas start, but the torque running throught the clutch is very low. In fact, a no gas start should be easier on the clutch than any other."

So I guess launching at low rpm is alright, because at lower rpm, the torque running through the clutch would be lower.
Just try to avoid a lot of sputtery (near stall) launches, because these will damage the drivetrain over time.
snikro
Senior Standardshifter

Post by snikro »

Hatchman wrote:
snikro wrote:Well, I've seemed to answer my own question by browsing the forum. Found a quote by Prodigal Son, about no gas starts:

"You will have to clutch out slower with a no-gas start, but the torque running throught the clutch is very low. In fact, a no gas start should be easier on the clutch than any other."

So I guess launching at low rpm is alright, because at lower rpm, the torque running through the clutch would be lower.
Just try to avoid a lot of sputtery (near stall) launches, because these will damage the drivetrain over time.
Oh crap, I tend to do those a lot. Maybe toooo little throttle. Sometimes my rpm will drop to 500 in the middle of the launch if it's really bad. But does this also mean that no-gas starts are bad for the drivetrain, or are those not near-stall?
'73 Schwinn Suburban
'85 Honda Aero 50 (Sold)

jomotopia
Cars: 04 STi, 05 Matrix XR (AT)

Post by jomotopia »

no gas starts shouldn't be too hard on the engine b/c you're not adding any throttle. either the car stays at idle or it stalls. as i understand it, what the engine doesn't like is having too much throttle applied when it's unable to produce enough power and raise the revs.
2013 Subaru Impreza WRX in Orange
snikro
Senior Standardshifter

Post by snikro »

jomotopia wrote:no gas starts shouldn't be too hard on the engine b/c you're not adding any throttle. either the car stays at idle or it stalls. as i understand it, what the engine doesn't like is having too much throttle applied when it's unable to produce enough power and raise the revs.
Aka lugging?
'73 Schwinn Suburban
'85 Honda Aero 50 (Sold)

magnus_1986
Master Standardshifter

Post by magnus_1986 »

Hatchman wrote:Just try to avoid a lot of sputtery (near stall) launches, because these will damage the drivetrain over time.

Oh no :shock: Almost all my launches were like that until recently :cry:
Do not try to find 3rd, for you may not always reach it. Just go up and let it reach you!
GSR
Senior Standardshifter

Post by GSR »

My launches are perfect everytime. Not even a chance of a minor lug. it goes from 2000 to 5000 rpms in a flash. Its slipped at 2500, then it takes off like a cannon. Now if you guys wanna have fun with stick you should try driving it how its meant to be. Hey if I must replace my clutch once in 10 years so be it. But I highly doubt I'll even have it for ten years considering that I put 24 thousands miles on it a year. I like having new toys every 5 years anyways. Just got an 07 fxdl six speed 96 cubic inch motor, 1600 cc. This bike I am going to drive the same way I drive my car. Fast..vrrrrreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeehhhhhhh.
"Powered by Honda"
GSR
Senior Standardshifter

Post by GSR »

Oh and I coulda swore that I was the one to come up with the sand paper analogy many many posts ago. But, the analogy was dealing with the friction created when revving the engine without a load on it. Man u guys cant come up with good stuff so u steal mine. :?:
"Powered by Honda"
eaglecatcher
Master Standardshifter

Post by eaglecatcher »

GSR wrote:Oh and I coulda swore that I was the one to come up with the sand paper analogy many many posts ago. But, the analogy was dealing with the friction created when revving the engine without a load on it. Man u guys cant come up with good stuff so u steal mine. :?:
ok yeah, ummmm NO

I believe it was either me or screenname that came up with that, and that was a while back, so I don't remember, all I remember is that it is a pretty good explanation of clutch wear.

If you had made that up, you would see what we're talking about.
Z1 Intake
Z1 2.5" Test pipes
AMS Short Shifter
SZ Subframe Spacers
DDM Tuning 6000k HIDs
eaglecatcher
Master Standardshifter

Post by eaglecatcher »

GSR wrote:My launches are perfect everytime. Not even a chance of a minor lug. it goes from 2000 to 5000 rpms in a flash. Its slipped at 2500, then it takes off like a cannon. Now if you guys wanna have fun with stick you should try driving it how its meant to be. Hey if I must replace my clutch once in 10 years so be it. But I highly doubt I'll even have it for ten years considering that I put 24 thousands miles on it a year. I like having new toys every 5 years anyways. Just got an 07 fxdl six speed 96 cubic inch motor, 1600 cc. This bike I am going to drive the same way I drive my car. Fast..vrrrrreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeehhhhhhh.
If you're slipping your clutch at 2500, you probably aren't going to get it to last 10 years, unless you're spinning your tires everywhere, or slamming into the car in front of you at a stop light.

People on here drive sticks like they should be driven. have you not heard of any of our stories, jomo's especially?

I know people who buy new cars every 3 years, because they don't want to have to worry about them breaking down. I don't necesarily agree with that, but if you've got the money to do it, knock yourself out.

And if you drive your bike shooting off like a cannon at every light, I'm pretty sure you may be in an ambulance shooting off to a hostpital when you get run over.
Z1 Intake
Z1 2.5" Test pipes
AMS Short Shifter
SZ Subframe Spacers
DDM Tuning 6000k HIDs
Hatchman
Master Standardshifter

Post by Hatchman »

snikro wrote:
Hatchman wrote:

Oh crap, I tend to do those a lot. Maybe toooo little throttle. Sometimes my rpm will drop to 500 in the middle of the launch if it's really bad. But does this also mean that no-gas starts are bad for the drivetrain, or are those not near-stall?
You can do no-gas launches, as long as you don't get the sputter. To avoid the sputter, you musn't release the clutch too fast.
screenname
Master Standardshifter

Post by screenname »

eaglecatcher wrote:ok yeah, ummmm NO

I believe it was either me or screenname that came up with that, and that was a while back, so I don't remember, all I remember is that it is a pretty good explanation of clutch wear.
No, pacroozer brought up the sandpaper thing first. I just twisted his words around so they would support my argument.