Driving a manual car???

Read the FAQ and still not sure about something? Want to shift faster? Post here.
thecoolkid213
Junior Standardshifter
Cars: 2008 Mazda rx8

Driving a manual car???

Post by thecoolkid213 »

Hey am new at driving stick shift and I have one question. how long can I leave my rx8 on a single gear? For example, on the highway if I am going at a constant speed of 60mph on gear 6 and my rpm stays at around 4000 can I just leave it there for a long time? Or do I have to bring it back to neutral and then back to gear 6 again?
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Re: Driving a manual car???

Post by potownrob »

you can leave it in gear. your engine is higher revving than a regular car engine, and it is designed to run at and handle higher revs (as long as it has enough oil).
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

Keep it out of the redzone for extended periods and you're golden. Engines are designed to revolve; it's their only job.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

thecoolkid213 wrote:Or do I have to bring it back to neutral and then back to gear 6 again?
I'm curious where such an idea would come from, if you don't mind indulging my curiosity.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

theholycow wrote:
thecoolkid213 wrote:Or do I have to bring it back to neutral and then back to gear 6 again?
I'm curious where such an idea would come from, if you don't mind indulging my curiosity.
On an only obscurely-related note,....the Hemi will occasionally fire up the cylinders that it turns off while in a light-throttle cruise, in order to keep the cylinder temperatures up and to put a downward thrust onto the connecting rods so the bearing oil film gets exercised.

Back when we first went to lock-up torque converters, they found they had to perform an occasional "un-lock" to free-up the splines on the input shaft so they could adjust position longitudinally as the warmed components changed size. If they didn't do this, they might end up with a significant thrust toward the crankshaft that could wear the thrust bearing surfaces.

I think my folks made me divert away from the TV every so many hours so my eyes could focus on things at a different distance and I wouldn't end up wearing glasses.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
thecoolkid213
Junior Standardshifter

Post by thecoolkid213 »

potownrob wrote:you can leave it in gear. your engine is higher revving than a regular car engine, and it is designed to run at and handle higher revs (as long as it has enough oil).
Thank you this was helpful
thecoolkid213
Junior Standardshifter

Post by thecoolkid213 »

Rope-Pusher wrote:
theholycow wrote:
I honestly don't know. Like I said I am new so that idea just popped into my head. Anyway thank you for your comment it was helpful.
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

Rope-Pusher wrote:I think my folks made me divert away from the TV every so many hours so my eyes could focus on things at a different distance and I wouldn't end up wearing glasses.
Well? Did it work?
'15 Mazda 3 iSport Hatch 6MT
'11 Ford Fiesta Hatchback SE 5MT
'14 Giant Escape City 24MT
'97 Honda Civic EX 4AT - Retired @ 184,001 mi

For Pony!
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Squint wrote:
Rope-Pusher wrote:I think my folks made me divert away from the TV every so many hours so my eyes could focus on things at a different distance and I wouldn't end up wearing glasses.
Well? Did it work?
It worked for about 27 years....until when I started working at a CAD terminal.

I guess I can't really blame needing to wear glasses on the CAD work, but that is when I noticed that my distance vision wasn't so good anymore.
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

Rope-Pusher wrote:
Squint wrote:
Well? Did it work?

I guess I can't really blame needing to wear glasses on the CAD work, but that is when I noticed that my distance vision wasn't so good anymore.
Seems like if it worked for 27 years, you could have watched a lot more TV as a kid... :lol:

For Pony!
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Squint wrote:
Rope-Pusher wrote:
Squint wrote: Well? Did it work?

Seems like if it worked for 27 years, you could have watched a lot more TV as a kid... :lol:
Yanno, a good portion of that time away from the TV was spent on "hopping-up" slot cars, I actually enjoyed coaxing speed and handling out of them more than I enjoyed racing them. Probably a good background for someone to go on to become an engineer from.
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

Rope-Pusher wrote:Yanno, a good portion of that time away from the TV was spent on "hopping-up" slot cars, I actually enjoyed coaxing speed and handling out of them more than I enjoyed racing them. Probably a good background for someone to go on to become an engineer from.
You hooner.

For Pony!
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Squint wrote:
Rope-Pusher wrote:Yanno, a good portion of that time away from the TV was spent on "hopping-up" slot cars, I actually enjoyed coaxing speed and handling out of them more than I enjoyed racing them. Probably a good background for someone to go on to become an engineer from.
You hooner.
In what sense?
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

Rope-Pusher wrote:
Squint wrote:You hooner.
In what sense?
A jest in regards to your tricked out slot cars.

For Pony!
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Squint wrote:
Rope-Pusher wrote:
Squint wrote:You hooner.
In what sense?
A jest in regards to your tricked out slot cars.
O