huyndai elantra reverse issues

Read the FAQ and still not sure about something? Want to shift faster? Post here.
elantragirl
Junior Standardshifter
Cars: 2005 hyundai elantra

huyndai elantra reverse issues

Post by elantragirl »

Hello, I have a question about reverse. Specifically for my car which is a 2005 hyundai elantra 5sp. So, I noticed that about 50-60% of the time I have issues putting it in reverse. Once the stick is in reverse everything is fine. But , sometimes the stick will grind almost making a loud thumping sound. It doesnt grind moving the stick from neutral to revrse, only once the stick is going into reverse does this happen. Also, the sound is very quick sounding not like a typical grind that can last. ( if this makes any sense at all ) This sound happens even though I have the clutch all the way to the floor like you are supposed to and the car is not moving. Like I said this does'nt happen all the time but it tends to happen alot, and I have even heard that issues with reverse are not foreign to elantras. Can anyone shed any light on this ? Hopefully, the description made sense ha ha
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Re: huyndai elantra reverse issues

Post by potownrob »

what you are describing could be normal, though it's hard to tell without seeing it firsthand. have you tried shifting into a forward gear and then moving the shifter into reverse, all while keeping the clutch in?? otherwise, try waiting a couple of seconds after pushing in the clutch before shifting into reverse. let us know if that helps. i have a newer car (2015 accord) and it will usually grind reverse if i try shifting into it right away (without either waiting a second or shifting into another gear first).
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

It certainly doesn't seem impossible that what you are experiencing could be normal.

In my Fiesta, I usually shift into a forward gear and then into reverse, but sometimes it won't settle quite all the way into reverse until I start to let off the clutch pedal and the gears actually start moving. While there is no noise associated with what I do - unless I just put it in gear all the way which causes the grinding noise you would expect - I'm wondering if you have something similar where it is just settling into reverse.

Also, is it possible that it is the sound of the transmission physically connecting to the reverse gear? Because there is a small clunk sound sometimes - especially compared to the relative quiet of shifting in the forward gears.
'15 Mazda 3 iSport Hatch 6MT
'11 Ford Fiesta Hatchback SE 5MT
'14 Giant Escape City 24MT
'97 Honda Civic EX 4AT - Retired @ 184,001 mi

For Pony!
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

This isn't anything I've experienced too often. I usually let my car idle down though, so perhaps things are reorienting themselves.

An issue that I typically have though is being unable to get passed the gate for a moment. I cycle through all forward gears to finish the orientation process.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Reverse gear in many Amish transmissions is not synchronized. It may be begging for you to wait long enough after you've burried the clutch pedal for the clutch and input shaft of the transmission to spin down to zero rpm (Notice that I didn't say "Grind to a halt") before you shift into Reverse.

2-2.5 seconds after you depress the clutch pedal is about what it takes for things to stop spinning.
This is one of the raisins that some manufacturers are installing synchronizers for Reverse gear in these modern times we live in. Also, a design feature know as a Reverse Brake can help drag the spinning down quickly as you shift into Reverse, but that is another thing that has to be designed into the transmission. Another reason manufacturers are utilizing Reverse synchronizers is that, unless you have a Reverse synchronizer, you should also make sure the vehicle is not rolling forward or Reverse when you shift into Reverse, even if you have a Reverse brake.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

Rope-Pusher wrote:...This is one of the raisins that some manufacturers are installing synchronizers for Reverse gear in these modern times we live in...
For the uninitiated, Rope-Pushed likes homophones so this quote should be read as...

"...This is one of the reasons that some manufacturers..."

He was nice, this is like the easiest puzzle he's left us to decipher.
'15 Mazda 3 iSport Hatch 6MT
'11 Ford Fiesta Hatchback SE 5MT
'14 Giant Escape City 24MT
'97 Honda Civic EX 4AT - Retired @ 184,001 mi

For Pony!
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Squint wrote:
Rope-Pusher wrote:...This is one of the raisins that some manufacturers are installing synchronizers for Reverse gear in these modern times we live in...
For the uninitiated, Rope-Pushed likes homophones so this quote should be read as...

"...This is one of the reasons that some manufacturers..."

He was nice, this is like the easiest puzzle he's left us to decipher.
F N it was meant 2 B a puzzle, eye wooden half posted the raisin picture
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

I am the greetest!

Now I am leaving earth for NO RAISIN!

(We like to have fun here.)
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!