please critique what I'm doing

Read the FAQ and still not sure about something? Want to shift faster? Post here.
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Re: please critique what I'm doing

Post by theholycow »

DrJerryrigger wrote:
theholycow wrote:Why do you feel like you're getting further from teaching her?
Because when she is the passenger I'm doing silly shifting rather than what she has learned in the past.
Oh, I get it. Yeah, that does seem like a valid worry.

Do you think she'll pick up on details of what you're doing? My wife didn't notice when I would neutral coast, and then wondered why attempting to imitate my style wasn't working out as well for her. A little foot action or a small flick of the shifter can be very subtle to the passenger, even an attentive one trying to learn. OTOH, I probably always noticed that stuff, but then I've always been fascinated with it.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
DrJerryrigger
Junior Standardshifter
Cars: trixy

Post by DrJerryrigger »

potownrob wrote:just tell her you're practicing some advanced driving techniques. this thread is too long (tl;dr), but i thought i saw something about acceleration laws in here. it was brought to my attention a few years back that, at least here in NYS, you can be pulled over for accelerating too quickly. i forget the term for it, but i think it is a subjective judgment rather than a measured one (i.e. they don't have to pull out their gun and figure out your 0-60 time), FYI :)
I've reduced my shifting point a bit to make for a more gradual acceleration. But yesterday I took it to the top of first and second, which was a good reminder that this is not a fast car.
DrJerryrigger
Junior Standardshifter

Post by DrJerryrigger »

theholycow wrote: Do you think she'll pick up on details of what you're doing?
I don't really know if she is paying attention to anything I'm doing.
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

DrJerryrigger wrote:But yesterday I took it to the top of first and second, which was a good reminder that this is not a fast car.
I did that the other day in my wife's car. Same result, it's like there's no point bothering with high RPM, plus she got kinda pissed off about it. :lol:
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

I would doubt that anyone involved in a driving test would assume you could heel-toe or double clutch. Double-clutching is less advanced that heel-toe, at least by itself. For your average driver, there is never a time you need to know heel-toe, it's just an advanced technique that's come over from racing. I rarely heel-toe, and double-clutch only sometimes - I have another manual-driving-friend who double clutches everything and never does heel-toe shifts. That all comes down to personal preference and what you are comfortable with doing. For teaching purposes, you could perhaps teach double-clutching, because that is simple to explain - but it is certainly not required at all.

If it were me, I would teach without double-clutching OR heel-toe, and if there were interest from the driver, add those things on after the basics have been grasped (I'm intetionally not using the word "mastered" here because very few of us could consider themselves masters of driving, as much as we like to think we're the s@#$).
'15 Mazda 3 iSport Hatch 6MT
'11 Ford Fiesta Hatchback SE 5MT
'14 Giant Escape City 24MT
'97 Honda Civic EX 4AT - Retired @ 184,001 mi

For Pony!
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

I always did a minor ht for turns, but never high speed. Once in awhile I'd do a DC for kicks, but always rev-matched.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
DrJerryrigger
Junior Standardshifter

Post by DrJerryrigger »

I think double clutching has improved my rpm matching a lot. I'm not all that worried about syncro wear, but feeling how it goes into gear is a lot better than looking at the tachometer.

I drove my mother in law's new Honda fit a few weeks ago. It felt like I was playing a video game. The clutch and the shifter felt like they weren't connected to anything.