Fast Highway Entry Launch?

Read the FAQ and still not sure about something? Want to shift faster? Post here.
minishadow
Junior Standardshifter

Fast Highway Entry Launch?

Post by minishadow »

Hey guys,

First question i'm asking since i didn't find any answers already on the forum.

Background: Been driving manual for a little over a week. Live in an area with some hills. Got pretty good with launches, usually around 1k rpm and higher for hills depending on incline. I don't stall anymore on straight roads and sometimes stall on hills (the hill holder feature on the Mini helps - but i'll be turning that off once i get better).

Question: Although I launch without stalling and off the clutch fairly quickly, I feel that my launches are fairly slow. So I get nervous when i have to make left turns with oncoming traffic (and right turns sometimes as well). I usually end up waiting for a much longer opening than I would have with my automatic car. Thus, haven't ventured onto highway where I may have to stop and launch fast to join the traffic. So, how to launch smooth without doing any damage to car in these situations? If i try to increase my speed on my launches, i jerk, bounce, or hear awful noises.

P.S. Still trying to work on down shifting. My 1->2 are 50% smooth, 2->3 60%, 3->4 75%, 4->5 99%, 5->6, 100%

Thanks!
2014 Mini Cooper Countryman All4 S
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Re: Fast Highway Entry Launch?

Post by theholycow »

What you need is practice and confidence...and maybe a few more RPM combined with some additional slipping of the clutch to keep it smooth. It is common to use a higher RPM launch in those situations. When you gotta go, you gotta go!
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
minishadow
Junior Standardshifter

Post by minishadow »

Thanks Holycow,

So on a flat road, how many RPM would you say I try first? Rev to 1500? 2000? then start letting the clutch out slow?
theholycow
Master Standardshifter

Post by theholycow »

You'll want to ask someone with the same car as you. It varies significantly. For a dangerous or hurried launch, 2000 certainly sounds reasonable.

You might engage the clutch a little faster rather than a little slower, the extra RPM will let it slip more and smooth things out, but again that's really a matter of practice. The good news is you don't need to practice high-RPM launches as much as regular launches...when you're really good at those, high RPM launches won't take anywhere near as much additional practice before you're good at them.

tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

How does that engine feel for that MINI? Isn't the Countryman the job with 4 real doors?

Make like you're going to Carnegie Hall and practice, practice, practice.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter

Post by tankinbeans »

My only suggestion is to get the car moving and then floor it. Smoothness be damned.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
minishadow
Junior Standardshifter

Post by minishadow »

tankinbeans - thanks for the suggestion. Ya not concerned with smoothness in that situation. Ideally i'd like to floor it from the get go like in an automatic. I suppose i just have to figure out how to address the same situation in an manual without doing a "hard launch" (high rpm->clutch dump).

and by the way, the engine feels great - zippy, once i'm out of first gear.
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2008 Fusion 2.3L manual

Post by ClutchFork »

minishadow wrote:(the hill holder feature on the Mini helps - but i'll be turning that off once i get better).
Good idea.

A lot of good advice above, the best being practice. You will get better, much better.

Your first gear should move out hard and fast once it is engaged and up to a certain RPM, say 2000 or 2500, depending on the car. When you are better at the clutch action you can move out hard from the dead stop by slipping the clutch so it is in that rpm range as you pick up speed until you can fully engage at that or higher rpm.
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...
theholycow
Master Standardshifter

Post by theholycow »

Another option for flooring it ASAP is to do a quick but normal launch where you get the clutch fully hooked up ASAP, then you can slam it to the floor like a slushbox.

Even better, if you have enough warning, is to no-gas launch before it's time to go, timing it so you barely roll a moment before you can slam the go-pedal. When you do that, you get a much faster jump than the same car would with a slushbox.

minishadow
Junior Standardshifter

Post by minishadow »

InlinePaul wrote:Your first gear should move out hard and fast once it is engaged and up to a certain RPM, say 2000 or 2500, depending on the car. When you are better at the clutch action you can move out hard from the dead stop by slipping the clutch so it is in that rpm range as you pick up speed until you can fully engage at that or higher rpm.
theholycow wrote:Another option for flooring it ASAP is to do a quick but normal launch where you get the clutch fully hooked up ASAP, then you can slam it to the floor like a slushbox.
Not sure i know how to do either of the above yet (or quite understand them), but will probably figure it out as I continue to get used to my car. But don't be surprised if I revisit these two points in a couple of weeks/months :)
theholycow wrote:Even better, if you have enough warning, is to no-gas launch before it's time to go, timing it so you barely roll a moment before you can slam the go-pedal. When you do that, you get a much faster jump than the same car would with a slushbox.
Now that is a GREAT idea! I will be trying that one out for sure!
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2008 Fusion 2.3L manual

Post by ClutchFork »

theholycow wrote:Even better, if you have enough warning, is to no-gas launch before it's time to go, timing it so you barely roll a moment before you can slam the go-pedal. When you do that, you get a much faster jump than the same car would with a slushbox.
That is a great idea particularly for left turns with oncoming traffic. Get it engaged and rolling in a straight line, then mat the pedal as you crank the wheel left and make the turn. That way, if you happen to stall it, you won't be in the line of the oncoming traffic.
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter

Post by tankinbeans »

Haps Boston will chime in. He had a Cooper with roughly the same guts, although probably sans 4wd.
Last edited by tankinbeans on Sun Oct 27, 2013 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
MFan
Junior Standardshifter

Post by MFan »

minishadow wrote:the hill holder feature on the Mini helps - but i'll be turning that off once i get better.
Looks like you're doing fairly well for someone just started driving a manual and launching an AWD can be a bit more challenging. Like everyone said, you'll just need more seat times to ironed out the small details.

Just curious how you're planning on shutting off Hill Hold Assist? My Mcoupe also have this Hill Hold Assist, which cannot be turned off. The Countryman may have a feature called Hill Descent Assist, which is not the same as Hill Hold Assist.
2008 BMW MCoupe
Boston Fit
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Boston Fit »

As tankinbeans mentioned, I used to have a base model MINI Cooper Hardtop. Compared to the Hondas I've driven, it took more coaxing to rev the engine - but still, I never had a problem making a turn in that situation. Since minishadow has a turbo "S" Countryman, he should have no issues once he gets a bit more experience under his belt.

Driving stick is all about anticipation. If you can hang back a little bit before making your turn, the extra space will let you engage first gear before making your turn, rather than during the turn. Balancing clutch/throttle pressure in favor of the throttle might help too, as others have noted.
2013 Honda Civic Si
minishadow
Junior Standardshifter

Post by minishadow »

MFan wrote:Just curious how you're planning on shutting off Hill Hold Assist? My Mcoupe also have this Hill Hold Assist, which cannot be turned off. The Countryman may have a feature called Hill Descent Assist, which is not the same as Hill Hold Assist.
If you turn of the DSC - or whatever that traction control thing is called, the hill holder feature turns off as well. The countryman doesn't have hill descent assist, at least not that I am aware of.