Jerky first/2nd gear at Low RPMs

Read the FAQ and still not sure about something? Want to shift faster? Post here.
RoidRage
Junior Standardshifter

Jerky first/2nd gear at Low RPMs

Post by RoidRage »

Hey guys, so I have been noticing that my GTI seems jerky (head bobbling) at low CONSTANT speeds on the highway during my morning commute. For example if I leave it in first and get the speed constant at 10-15km at 1,000 - 1,500 rpms I feel the car to be jerky. Even at low speed/rpm gear changes (1'st - 2nd). Anything past 2,000k RPM is fine though.

Is this normal? Or should I bring this up with my dealer and have them take a look at it. It's just annoying because I don't notice this in the city, just only in bumper to bumper highway driving at a constant low speed in 1st/2nd.

Thanks!!
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Re: Jerky first/2nd gear at Low RPMs

Post by theholycow »

In 1st and 2nd, there is a lot more mechanical advantage than in other gears. This makes it much more sensitive to changes in resistance and power output, and more likely to wind up any drivetrain slop (including the spring in the clutch that takes up shift shock). To smooth it you can pulse and glide (accelerate and then coast in neutral or just declutched), slip the clutch, try to be ultra-smooth with the throttle, or try a different gear.

See also http://www.standardshift.com/forum/view ... 10&t=19106

It's no guarantee that your car doesn't have something wrong with it, but from your description it sounds normal.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
RoidRage
Junior Standardshifter

Post by RoidRage »

theholycow wrote:In 1st and 2nd, there is a lot more mechanical advantage than in other gears. This makes it much more sensitive to changes in resistance and power output, and more likely to wind up any drivetrain slop (including the spring in the clutch that takes up shift shock). To smooth it you can pulse and glide (accelerate and then coast in neutral or just declutched), slip the clutch, try to be ultra-smooth with the throttle, or try a different gear.

See also http://www.standardshift.com/forum/view ... 10&t=19106

It's no guarantee that your car doesn't have something wrong with it, but from your description it sounds normal.
Well I'm due for my 60,000km maintenance soon, so I guess I can bring it up then if the problem persists. I guess pulsing would work as it seems to only be jerky when I try to keep my pace constant. I just assumed a constant amount of throttle would be better for the car and on mileage haha.

I'll give it a try, thanks !!
RomPirate
Senior Standardshifter

Post by RomPirate »

I'm sure my prelude is a different beast- but this seems very normal. It takes some practice being able to stay in 1st without any jerkyness. Your speed is not constant enough however, a few mph difference in 1st gear will buck like a bronco.

Come to think about it I dont ever stay a constant speed in 1st gear. If i'm in traffic once I hit ~2k I switch to 2nd for maximum smoothness :wink:
97 Prelude 5spd swap FTW! (Sold! :( )
07 Mazda MX-5 Sport (DEAD)
07 VW Rabbit
04 Mazdaspeed Miata (Sold!)
05 RX8 (Sold!)
95 Wrangler
havoktsx
Junior Standardshifter

Post by havoktsx »

already got a thread about this going here:

http://www.standardshift.com/forum/view ... =6&t=18865

my car is different than yours as well but by turning off any type of stability control in my car, it nearly got rid of all bucking/jerking in my car in bumper-to-bumper traffic...

btw, unless stability is truly defeatable aka completely off, the ecu will activiate it in in an emergency in most modern cars so its safe to try...
08' Acura TSX ASM/Ebony 6MT
daleadbull
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: VW Golf R

Post by daleadbull »

I find that smooth throttle inputs is essential when creeping in 1st gear. Either apply a little bit of gas and maintain it or do the pulse and glide thing. If you try to modulate the throttle while creeping in 1st it'll be jerky.
2012 VW Golf R
jomotopia
Cars: 04 STi, 05 Matrix XR (AT)

Post by jomotopia »

In addition to what everyone else has said, do you have the A/C on when this is happening? Just having the compressor kick on and off can cause a jerk when you're cruising along slowly in a low gear.
2013 Subaru Impreza WRX in Orange
MidnightDrive94
Junior Standardshifter

Post by MidnightDrive94 »

That's completely normal! In most cars first gear is very sensitive and is only suitable for getting moving. My suggestion is that you smoothly change into 2nd shortly after you've started moving as its a much more suitable gear for cruising at slow speeds whilst still being very responsive.