Do you leave it in gear at a red light?

Read the FAQ and still not sure about something? Want to shift faster? Post here.
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2008 Fusion 2.3L manual

Do you leave it in gear at a red light?

Post by ClutchFork »

I am curious as I have heard some people do this. I would NEVER leave it in gear through a red light, holding the clutch pedal down the whole time. It has to be bad for the release bearing. It could also result in a launch into traffic if you get distracted or your foot slipped off the pedal for some reason. Normally I wait for the light to change to green, throw it into gear and go. If lighting conditions permit, I will eyeball the cross traffic's light and throw it into gear on their yellow. Only time I might be in gear at a red light is if I need to move our really quick to get in front of another car, which situation is better avoided in the first place.
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...
MFan
Junior Standardshifter

Re: Do you leave it in gear at a red light?

Post by MFan »

My stop light etiquette is similar to yours.
2008 BMW MCoupe
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

I don't do it, because I'm lazy. I don't want to sit there holding the clutch pedal down. Like you, I watch cross-traffic's light and prepare when I predict I will get a green. I think the concern about the release bearing is, like so many other things, overstated.

As for the concern about an accidental launch: I don't think that's an issue. If your foot slips off the clutch you will just stall. You mentioned in another thread your concern about wanting to cruise at high RPM in a low gear so you can have instant acceleration; a much more important concern IMO is suddenly needing to launch. If you're worried about that kind of safety, it would be best to stay in gear and ready to go when stopped. When you're already moving you can use brakes and steering, when when you're at a stop your ONLY evasive maneuver is accelerating.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Post by Shadow »

InlinePaul wrote:I am curious as I have heard some people do this. I would NEVER leave it in gear through a red light, holding the clutch pedal down the whole time. It has to be bad for the release bearing.
I've done it, but only if I know the light will be changing quickly. Other than a situation like that, I'd normally take the car out of gear. As far as the clutch release bearing (more commonly known as a "throwout bearing"), I'm not too concerned. The throwout bearing in most cars is pretty robust and should outlast the clutch disc, no matter how much abuse it is subjected to. And of course it is always recommended to replace the throwout bearing when installing a new clutch, so someone who can be considered an "abusive" driver will probably need a new clutch sooner than most.

It could also result in a launch into traffic if you get distracted or your foot slipped off the pedal for some reason. .
If your foot slips off the clutch (has that actually ever happened to anyone here?), the car would stall, so no real worries there. It's not like the car would fling itself into an intersection or anything, unless of course your right foot was hard on the accelerator at the time.
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter

Post by ClutchFork »

You got me there. Foot slips off it will stall, but perhaps move a few feet. I don't know.

As for throwout bearings lasting, my slave was changed at 70,000 but not the throwout and the throwout seized at 80,000 miles, of course trashing the new slave. Guess I just had a bad one. A new throwout would have made sense at 70,000 when they did the slave.
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...
ClutchDisc
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2009 Mazda 5 2.3L 5MT

Post by ClutchDisc »

Never. I wait until the light turns green, throw it into gear, and go.
09 Mazda 5 2.3 5-speed manual 171k
11 Subaru Forester auto :( 113k
92 Ford Mustang LX 5.0 5-speed manual 151k
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

I remove the driveshafts and disconnect the battery, because "You Never Know!"....
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter

Post by ClutchFork »

Rope-Pusher wrote:I remove the driveshafts and disconnect the battery, because "You Never Know!"....
Also should chock the wheels.
Stick shiftin since '77
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

InlinePaul wrote:
Rope-Pusher wrote:I remove the driveshafts and disconnect the battery, because "You Never Know!"....
You are ridicule
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
bk7794
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 00 Civic (Stock)

Post by bk7794 »

I agree with you aswell. Though sometimes I need to get it into gear quickly and with my transmission being worn out I tend to shift into gear a bit earlier. But I never wait with the clutch pushed in for more than 15-30 seconds I'd say, max.
2004 Honda Accord 2.4 5 Speed
1989 Ford Taurus SHO 5 speed
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

Depends on my mood. Most of the time it's out of gear for most of the light and then pooped in shortly before a change. However, sometimes I'm just lazy and just keep in gear holding the clutch. Luckily my clutch isn't too heavy.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
bk7794
Master Standardshifter

Post by bk7794 »

tankinbeans wrote:Depends on my mood. Most of the time it's out of gear for most of the light and then pooped in shortly before a change. However, sometimes I'm just lazy and just keep in gear holding the clutch. Luckily my clutch isn't too heavy.
:? :lol: Took me a few times to figure out what you were trying to say
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

Rope-Pusher wrote:
InlinePaul wrote:
You are ridicule
Agreed. You should let the air out of the tires and add a parking enforcement boot.
bk7794 wrote:
tankinbeans wrote:Depends on my mood. Most of the time it's out of gear for most of the light and then pooped in shortly before a change. However, sometimes I'm just lazy and just keep in gear holding the clutch. Luckily my clutch isn't too heavy.
:? :lol: Took me a few times to figure out what you were trying to say
Well, wouldn't you change shortly after pooping in?
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
Gerard
Junior Standardshifter

Post by Gerard »

lol.......you said poop
bk7794
Master Standardshifter

Post by bk7794 »

Gerard wrote:lol.......you said poop