New to driving stick

Read the FAQ and still not sure about something? Want to shift faster? Post here.
comawhite
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 1998 Honda Prelude

Re: New to driving stick

Post by comawhite »

Also, for passing someone on a highway, do you guys just do the "on gas" rev match method and do it VERY quick to minimize wear? I don't care how fast you are at regular single clutch rev matching (clutch in/foot off, blip, back on) if you really got to get in the other lane and a car is coming, I don't see how you can do that quick enough since you're revs are dropping when clutch is in. Im sure some of you can, though here. :lol:
Keep in mind that you don't have to do it one step at a time. For example, as your left foot begins to depress the clutch pedal, your right foot can begin to add throttle and your right hand can begin to move the shift lever. It happens almost as one single movement, even though there is more than one step involved. I think the point is that everything kinda overlaps and happens quickly.

Watch this video. This guy has a twin-turbocharged G37 coupe. Watch how he downshifts on the highway to keep up with the bike.

I wish, I could downshift that good. :(
fr4n
Senior Standardshifter

Post by fr4n »

comawhite wrote:

Also, for passing someone on a highway, do you guys just do the "on gas" rev match method and do it VERY quick to minimize wear? I don't care how fast you are at regular single clutch rev matching (clutch in/foot off, blip, back on) if you really got to get in the other lane and a car is coming, I don't see how you can do that quick enough since you're revs are dropping when clutch is in. Im sure some of you can, though here. :lol:
Keep in mind that you don't have to do it one step at a time. For example, as your left foot begins to depress the clutch pedal, your right foot can begin to add throttle and your right hand can begin to move the shift lever. It happens almost as one single movement, even though there is more than one step involved. I think the point is that everything kinda overlaps and happens quickly.

Watch this video. This guy has a twin-turbocharged G37 coupe. Watch how he downshifts on the highway to keep up with the bike.

I wish, I could downshift that good. :(
im sure you can, how long u been driving manual
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

fr4n wrote:it sounds like the guy was blipping as he downshifted.
duh!! winning!!!!
on a more serious note, don't mistake someone who can have fun shifting with an uber leet shifter and driver. there were at least a few instances where he could've held a gear or downshifted 2 gears at a time; this starts with actively planning out your course rather than reacting to what's happening.

edit: no reason for him to be keeping his hand gripped on the shifter, the way he's driving...
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Post by Shadow »

potownrob wrote:
fr4n wrote:it sounds like the guy was blipping as he downshifted.
duh!! winning!!!!
on a more serious note, don't mistake someone who can have fun shifting with an uber leet shifter and driver. there were at least a few instances where he could've held a gear or downshifted 2 gears at a time; this starts with actively planning out your course rather than reacting to what's happening.

edit: no reason for him to be keeping his hand gripped on the shifter, the way he's driving...
I think that might be a little over-critical. It seems to me that he was downshifting quickly in most cases because he was unsure if the motorcycle was going to take off through traffic. For instance, he obviously didn't want to stay at high RPM for any length of time when he knew the motorcycle couldn't (or wouldn't) pull away. So he simply upshifted and then downshifted as soon as he thought the motorcycle was going to make its move. Downshifting two gears at a time might have been an option, but he might have thought one gear was sufficient and then decide that he should have gone down two gears instead. Keep in mind that he's got a VERY powerful car, so I'm sure it pulls hard in any gear. But in this case, he's trying to keep up with a crotchrocket, so he probably needed all the performance he could get out of the car. Amazingly, he walked right past the bike at high speed in 5th gear. That's pretty impressive if you ask me.

BTW, I don't think he blipped the throttle on his downshifts. If he did, it certainly wasn't a "release the throttle, clutch in, shift, then blip the throttle" deal. There just wasn't enough time for all of that. I'm fairly certain that he never let up on the throttle at all when he downshifted. The RPM will rise if you stay on the throttle when downshifting. I'm not sure if any of you guys do that or not, but done right, it's a great way to downshift without having to do a more traditional blip.
comawhite
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 1998 Honda Prelude

Post by comawhite »

fr4n wrote: im sure you can, how long u been driving manual
about 600-700 miles. Haven't driven it in almost 2 months due to it needing a new clutch.

I've owned it for about 6 months and only put that 600-700 miles on it myself. So not much experience.
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

comawhite wrote:
fr4n wrote: im sure you can, how long u been driving manual
about 600-700 miles. Haven't driven it in almost 2 months due to it needing a new clutch.

I've owned it for about 6 months and only put that 600-700 miles on it myself. So not much experience.
you can always practice it, just don't expect to be perfect (or close to it) for a while. i would work on your throttle and clutch control for regular launches and upshifts before worrying too much about rev-matched downshifts.
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

Shadow wrote: I think that might be a little over-critical...
maybe so, but i want to make sure people realize the man's not a driving god just for being able to do quick downshifts and fly past a motorcycle.
BTW, I don't think he blipped the throttle on his downshifts...
yeah, it didn't sound like it to me either, but it looked like he could've been based on his leg movements. did they ever offer the automatic rev-matching feature (available on the Z) in the G37??
fr4n
Senior Standardshifter

Post by fr4n »

if anything, it sounded like a blip. idk where you guys are coming from. what do your blips sound like?
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

fr4n wrote:if anything, it sounded like a blip. idk where you guys are coming from. what do your blips sound like?
mine sound like a dying cow, how else could they sound?? what do yours sound like??
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

potownrob wrote:mine sound like a dying cow, how else could they sound?? what do yours sound like??
Mine used to sound like "RRRROOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Got my exhaust manifold leak fixed. Now they sound like "voooooo"
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Post by Shadow »

potownrob wrote:maybe so, but i want to make sure people realize the man's not a driving god just for being able to do quick downshifts and fly past a motorcycle.

yeah, it didn't sound like it to me either, but it looked like he could've been based on his leg movements. did they ever offer the automatic rev-matching feature (available on the Z) in the G37??
If anything, it was the car that impressed, not the driver. It takes a lot of power to keep up with or pass a motorcycle at full throttle.

No, they never offered the auto rev-match on the G37. But I'm someone, somewhere, has retrofitted the feature onto the G37, considering that they share the same powertrain.

BTW, if you listen carefully, he powershifted his car into 6th gear as he was passing the motorcycle. It think it's right around 2:09 on the video. You can clearly hear his revs increase between shifts.
Last edited by Shadow on Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Post by Shadow »

fr4n wrote:if anything, it sounded like a blip. idk where you guys are coming from. what do your blips sound like?
Here's a better question:

What do you think his car would have sounded like if he didn't blip the throttle in that video? Think about it....
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

theholycow wrote:
potownrob wrote:mine sound like a dying cow, how else could they sound?? what do yours sound like??

Got my exhaust manifold leak fixed. Now they sound like "moooooo"
Fickset
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

Rope-Pusher wrote:
theholycow wrote:

Got my exhaust manifold leak fixed. Now they sound like "moooooo"
Fickset
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
fr4n
Senior Standardshifter

Post by fr4n »

Shadow wrote:
Here's a better question:

What do you think his car would have sounded like if he didn't blip the throttle in that video? Think about it....
not like in the video thats for sure.