Downshift blip accuracy

Read the FAQ and still not sure about something? Want to shift faster? Post here.
fr4n
Senior Standardshifter

Re: Downshift blip accuracy

Post by fr4n »

lets say ur in 5th coming to a corner that u wanna take in 2nd

on a track i see racers are very determined to engage the clutch in every gear they pass

is there any non-racing related benefit to doing this? (eg benefits health of tranny etc)

if i hit 5>4>3 w/o engaging everytime i find i cna shift alot faster and later and my rev-matching is more accurate

i also notice this is what everyione else i seen does
with or without revmatching

what do you guys do in the US of A
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

Sequential downshifting is convenient if you're not sure when you'll get to quit braking. That way you're always in the right gear when it's time to accelerate again. Otherwise it's a waste of time and attention.

The only affect it can have on health of the transmission is if you're concerned about synchronizer wear. It shouldn't be a concern for most people but if you abuse yours then I guess you might try to make up for it when you can. In that case you would choose between 100% of the necessary wear on a single synchro or 120% of what's needed, spread over a few gears.

When you see racers doing all that clutch work, they may be double-clutching.

As for me, I throw it in neutral until I expect to accelerate again, then I choose the appropriate gear, rev-match before disengaging the clutch (effectively double-clutching), and it falls nicely into gear immediately.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
fr4n
Senior Standardshifter

Post by fr4n »

theholycow wrote:Sequential downshifting is convenient if you're not sure when you'll get to quit braking. That way you're always in the right gear when it's time to accelerate again. Otherwise it's a waste of time and attention.

The only affect it can have on health of the transmission is if you're concerned about synchronizer wear. It shouldn't be a concern for most people but if you abuse yours then I guess you might try to make up for it when you can. In that case you would choose between 100% of the necessary wear on a single synchro or 120% of what's needed, spread over a few gears.

When you see racers doing all that clutch work, they may be double-clutching.

As for me, I throw it in neutral until I expect to accelerate again, then I choose the appropriate gear, rev-match before disengaging the clutch (effectively double-clutching), and it falls nicely into gear immediately.
i see
im mainly concerned with an upcoming turn where i know what gear and speed i should be in
for other situations like a red light that may turn green before i reach it ill engage every gear just like u said

no i definitely dont abuse mine, it always slips into gear easily, aslong as im not downshifting 3 gears at a time at high speed without DC