How to stay consistant after every shift.

Read the FAQ and still not sure about something? Want to shift faster? Post here.
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Re: How to stay consistant after every shift.

Post by theholycow »

Wait, why aren't you coming to a complete stop at stop signs? It's such a simple way to avoid a ticket and an insurance rate hike.

As for shift shock: I, personally, enjoy a crisp bit of shift shock. It's part of why I like manuals. I do have to be smoother with my wife in the car, though. If you're getting extreme shift shock then you either need to rev-match better or slip the clutch more during those shifts. When it happens:
- If your head goes towards the windshield, you should have given it a little gas during the shift (or slipped the clutch more).
- If your head goes towards the headrest, you should have given your engine more time to slow down (or slipped the clutch more).
bk7794 wrote:Alright, I guess its just the determination of speed, like if your rolling I would use first...but if your like going 5mph or grater then I would use second. Something like that. Right?
I sometimes double-clutch rev match into 1st at low speeds, but usually I just do a rolling 2nd launch.
Also what about take off just like casual? Its hard cause I have no tach...91 civic, but I always feel like I take off too high of an RPM when I am good, and when I feel like I am good it turns out to be low. The revs aren't redline high, they are like 1500-1700 I would say...That about good?
A new driver in a 20 year old 1991 Civic? Nothing wrong with 1500-1700.
bk7794 wrote:Yeah, I actually can take off in second...I did it by accident haha...I just felt like I burned the clutch up a bit more...but I gotta stop that stupid OCD feeling of mine...I am so happy I found this forum..It really made me relaxed.
It's fine. Yes, it puts slightly more wear on the clutch but not enough to worry about unless you do it every launch (and even then maybe not worth worrying).
bk7794 wrote:It just seems that when I start off in first I can't find the perfect balance. I am either too high in the RPM range to make me feel a bit uncomfty...or too low to make it chatter.
Sounds like you've already found the best RPM for your car...it's a little bit above what makes it chatter.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
bk7794
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 00 Civic (Stock)

Post by bk7794 »

theholycow wrote:Wait, why aren't you coming to a complete stop at stop signs? It's such a simple way to avoid a ticket and an insurance rate hike.

As for shift shock: I, personally, enjoy a crisp bit of shift shock. It's part of why I like manuals. I do have to be smoother with my wife in the car, though. If you're getting extreme shift shock then you either need to rev-match better or slip the clutch more during those shifts. When it happens:
- If your head goes towards the windshield, you should have given it a little gas during the shift (or slipped the clutch more).
- If your head goes towards the headrest, you should have given your engine more time to slow down (or slipped the clutch more).
bk7794 wrote:Alright, I guess its just the determination of speed, like if your rolling I would use first...but if your like going 5mph or grater then I would use second. Something like that. Right?
I sometimes double-clutch rev match into 1st at low speeds, but usually I just do a rolling 2nd launch.
Also what about take off just like casual? Its hard cause I have no tach...91 civic, but I always feel like I take off too high of an RPM when I am good, and when I feel like I am good it turns out to be low. The revs aren't redline high, they are like 1500-1700 I would say...That about good?
A new driver in a 20 year old 1991 Civic? Nothing wrong with 1500-1700.
bk7794 wrote:Yeah, I actually can take off in second...I did it by accident haha...I just felt like I burned the clutch up a bit more...but I gotta stop that stupid OCD feeling of mine...I am so happy I found this forum..It really made me relaxed.
It's fine. Yes, it puts slightly more wear on the clutch but not enough to worry about unless you do it every launch (and even then maybe not worth worrying).
bk7794 wrote:It just seems that when I start off in first I can't find the perfect balance. I am either too high in the RPM range to make me feel a bit uncomfty...or too low to make it chatter.
Sounds like you've already found the best RPM for your car...it's a little bit above what makes it chatter.
This is a very good post. Thanks so much! I yield only to a few stop signs...usually if noone is around I come to a 1-2mph yield...like if its late late at night...never do I blow a stop sign...

Thats very good information about how you buck, either front or back. I will have to write that down and see, that is my summer project...getting good at stick. Although I am trying to restore this civic...but thats another story.

I still get a bit worried when I take off at too high of an RPM...I usually try to shoot for a lower rpm..but one where I don't choke the engine. I will have to go out and just keep practicing.

@reverence.
I have been in that situation before. Thinking oh yeah you can come with me...then I try to stop the car and it takes like 20 feet longer to stop...So much fun.
2004 Honda Accord 2.4 5 Speed
1989 Ford Taurus SHO 5 speed
Reverence
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: Peugeot 307 2L

Post by Reverence »

LoL :lol:

I know that every year, when summer begins and it gets stuffy in my car, when I turn the air con on and go for my usual low rpm launches, I will stall a few times until my subconscious response re-adapts to the change in situation. Upshifts will get bumpy again too, with air-con on, rpms are pulled down much faster than usual.

and then there are those who claim they never stall or can't remember the last time they did...
bk7794
Master Standardshifter

Post by bk7794 »

Reverence wrote:LoL :lol:

I know that every year, when summer begins and it gets stuffy in my car, when I turn the air con on and go for my usual low rpm launches, I will stall a few times until my subconscious response re-adapts to the change in situation. Upshifts will get bumpy again too, with air-con on, rpms are pulled down much faster than usual.

and then there are those who claim they never stall or can't remember the last time they did...
All I have for serpentine belts is an alternator...so no power steering, or A/C...stalling is all part of learning I keep saying to myself. I try my hardest not to in traffic...so I keep my music down and all that but I still stall...and always will. I still got a lot to learn, which is why I am happy I found you guys. So nice and respectful and learned so much from you guys already.
Reverence
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: Peugeot 307 2L

Post by Reverence »

Accepting stalls when they occur, and dealing calmly and confidently with the situation after a stall is what you should practice, more so than avoiding a stall.

The less you fear them, the less they will occur.

I know many experienced stick drivers who will never launch below 1500 rpm or higher, I guess the reason is they tried to graduate too early from stalling, so embarrassed they were from it.
theholycow
Master Standardshifter

Post by theholycow »

Reverence wrote:and then there are those who claim they never stall or can't remember the last time they did...
If you stall often then you need practice or your driving needs adjustment.

If you never stall then you're not doing it right...you're probably one of those aforementioned people who never launch below 1500.

AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

It depends, cow. Some vehicles need to be launched a little higher. As an example, I stall perhaps once is 5-10 thousand miles in my vehicle. With the goat and the jeep I always launched at idle for normal day to day launches. I was actually watching my launches a few days ago.

Then I got into my friend's car and after driving for 30 mins i stalled twice in a row. It was a combination of slow responding electronic throttle and different car characteristics.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
Jon2000
Junior Standardshifter
Cars: 2007 Mazdaspeed3

Post by Jon2000 »

Once I bought my own manual transmission (2007 Mazdaspeed3) car I never had a problem stalling but I had a horrible time bogging/choking (600rpm) or over-revving (1800rpm). I think paying too close attention to everything made me hyper-sensitive to the feel of the car nearing a stall. The bogging/choking feeling could also be my stiff rear motor mount causing the car to shake more at low rpm's. I remember getting so frustrated trying to drive stick before I understood the friction point/zone I couldn't understand why I would start to move then the car would die. LOL
bk7794
Master Standardshifter

Post by bk7794 »

yeah I noticed if I just go with the flow then I am less apt to screw up and make a hard shift...or if I am in a rush like I was today, you get screwed up so much...
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

theholycow wrote:
Reverence wrote:and then there are those who claim they never stall or can't remember the last time they did...

If you never stall then you're not doing it right...you're probably one of those aforementioned people who never launch below 1500.
I love this post. I still stall once in awhile, probably more than others-but not as often as I used to, and have gotten over the embarrassment factor (even when somebody laughs at me. Sometimes I get the urge to yell that I'd like to see them do better, but oh wait they're driving a PRiNDL :) ). I just turn the key and move on because it's not worth getting all hot and bothered since I already have elevated blood pressure.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
bk7794
Master Standardshifter

Post by bk7794 »

tankinbeans wrote:
theholycow wrote:

I love this post. I still stall once in awhile, probably more than others-but not as often as I used to, and have gotten over the embarrassment factor (even when somebody laughs at me. Sometimes I get the urge to yell that I'd like to see them do better, but oh wait they're driving a PRiNDL :) ). I just turn the key and move on because it's not worth getting all hot and bothered since I already have elevated blood pressure.
I liked that aswell...I don't think I am doing it right though cause I chatter a bit from too low rpms...I gotta get over the fear of revving the engine a bit higher then needed aswell cause my engine is low torque and low horsepower..but I am fine with it...its no race car and I know that. I don't care that much. It goes fast when I need it to.

Anyways I stall and before I used to get angry at myself, but now I just restart the car so I don't miss the light or something...eh gotta look out for number one sometimes.
FDSpirit
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2000 Honda Civic Si

Post by FDSpirit »

OP, what kind of car are you driving? I had a fear of revving my Civic a little higher. I have found I can get it going comfortably at like 1,100 now. I noticed that the amount of gas needed had seemed to drop the more I drove. It isn't consistent, but it's around the same range.
2000 Honda Civic Si- Slightly faster than your grandmomma's grocery getter......slightly.
bk7794
Master Standardshifter

Post by bk7794 »

FDSpirit wrote:OP, what kind of car are you driving? I had a fear of revving my Civic a little higher. I have found I can get it going comfortably at like 1,100 now. I noticed that the amount of gas needed had seemed to drop the more I drove. It isn't consistent, but it's around the same range.
I see you got an si, b16a1 I believe...makes 160hp with like 112torque...I believe..or I could be all wrong...I got a 91 civic dx that makes like 70 torque and like 92hp. I don't have a tach aswell...hahaa so I am estimating...I think I am around like 1100 to 1400...sometimes I do 1000 It seems cause I don't hear it as much...I remember when I changed the muffler cause the other one rotted away...I could barely hear the engine...and I had an ear blockage aswell...haha that really made me use my feeling instincts.
theholycow
Master Standardshifter

Post by theholycow »

bk7794 wrote:
tankinbeans wrote:
theholycow wrote:If you never stall then you're not doing it right.
I love this post.
I liked that aswell.
I can't take credit for it. It comforted me, too. I can't remember if it was on this forum or another forum but someone told me that his grandmother said that (or something very similar), and it stuck with me.

Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

I'd agree with the bovine's adage, and I managed to stall yesterday.

There was a drop-off/loading area at an apartment building, and normally there are at most one or two cars there. Well yesterday, there were five, and so it was much more difficult to park there to unload the car. I had to weave around a Land Rover who was at a funny angle and was creeping very slowly to make sure I was out of the way. A combination of a very slight uphill, and me creeping too slowly caused it to stall. Luckily, it was exactly where I was stopping the car anyways 8) :lol:
'15 Mazda 3 iSport Hatch 6MT
'11 Ford Fiesta Hatchback SE 5MT
'14 Giant Escape City 24MT
'97 Honda Civic EX 4AT - Retired @ 184,001 mi

For Pony!