Burning Clutch???

Read the FAQ and still not sure about something? Want to shift faster? Post here.
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Re: Burning Clutch???

Post by watkins »

Meh, I usually dont give a damn reversing. Its almost always just into a parking space. Not enough wear to matter.

For any greater distance though, its the pulse and glide method, or coming fully off the clutch.
Honduh_integraTR
Junior Standardshifter
Cars: 1995 Integra

Post by Honduh_integraTR »

Ah, so you mean keep at FP then blip the gas for no longer then 2-3 sec... clutch in, then repeat?
What would be the suggest RPM to keep at in order to minimize burning the clutch, under 2k?
watkins
Master Standardshifter

Post by watkins »

Not at all. I either just keep gas and clutch balanced for short reverse trips, or I use the clutch only for a pulse and glide. Maybe a bit of gas to get the car in motion, but no more, for longer distances.
Honduh_integraTR
Junior Standardshifter

short trip meaning in short distance? Because I've been practicing my reverse parking in various situation for a decent amount of time non stop.
watkins
Master Standardshifter

Post by watkins »

Yes. For just backing into a parking space I dont worry about it. I do frequently feather for parking spaces that are in level or downhill grade areas.
Honduh_integraTR
Junior Standardshifter

Hi again, the problem I am having at this point is that when the engine is not on.. my clutch "creak" has I depress and release.
If I do it slowly, it'll sound like a door with bad hinges or some thing very similar.. you get the idea.

Should i be concern with my clutch since it is making that noise ? I'm gonna say it is getting worn out,, maybe just the pedals.
Anyone have any idea ?

Thanks advance :)
padauk_dust
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '88 Accord, '96 VFR

Post by padauk_dust »

^ Totally normal. Being a 95 it's kind of expected.

If you crawl down in and take a look at the pedal, where it hinges or if there is a hook or spring on it that's likely to be the cause of the squeak.
Hit it with some Wd40 or something if it bothers you. But not a worry in the least. All of my cars have made that noise at some point.

Edit: I can't hear the noise for myself so I can't be entirely sure, but if it is what I think it is then don't sweat it.
'88 Accord DX
'96 VFR750
PILL
Senior Standardshifter

Post by PILL »

Honduh_integraTR wrote:Hi again, the problem I am having at this point is that when the engine is not on.. my clutch "creak" has I depress and release.
If I do it slowly, it'll sound like a door with bad hinges or some thing very similar.. you get the idea.

Should i be concern with my clutch since it is making that noise ? I'm gonna say it is getting worn out,, maybe just the pedals.
Anyone have any idea ?

Thanks advance :)
If the noise is from the pedal, you're fine. Get some lube and get down there and fix it :lol:
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

WD40 will stink up the interior and evaporate quickly, leaving you back where you started soon. Use grease. If you can't get it into the spot where it needs to go by hand, use spray grease.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
vedran
Master Standardshifter

Post by vedran »

Honduh_integraTR wrote: Should i be concern with my clutch since it is making that noise ? I'm gonna say it is getting worn out,, maybe just the pedals.
Anyone have any idea ?
i wouldn't worry about it. my friend's 95 teg does the same thing. my CL does it as well but not nearly as loud
2012 VW GTI - 6MT
2001 Infiniti QX4 - 4AT
Bawked
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 08 JDM Subaru Impreza STI

Post by Bawked »

the release bearing on my 2 squeaks like f**k :lol: common problem. rather it be the pedal squeaking tho :?
<3 fwd
fa22raptorf22
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2004 SSM Acura RSX

Post by fa22raptorf22 »

Bawked wrote:the release bearing on my 2 squeaks like f**k :lol: common problem. rather it be the pedal squeaking tho :?
Yeah, the pedal to hydraulic linkage squeaks sometimes on my car as well. My clutch is probably wayyy gone. But since i beat on it, I could really care less.

As far as contributing to the thread topic...
Don't ride your clutch. Don't abuse it if its already in good shape. Its only there to get you moving, or to unload the transmission so you can shift. Nothing else.
permabanned
Master Standardshifter

Post by permabanned »

pop a B16 or a GSR head on your LS and rock out. LS/VTEC is a very popular swap because you get the LS torque and the head flow and VTEC of the B16 or the GSR head.

my buddy used to have a LS/VTEC swapped EK with ITR cams, that f**k moved out. put down 180 at the wheels in a car that weighs nothing.

and if you have no idea what i just said, you will soon.
95 probe GT
02 yamaha R6
My Flickr
Honduh_integraTR
Junior Standardshifter

I understand everything what you just said, I don't plan on keeping this car for long.. just enough to get me through school for abit at least :lol:

all the mods I did was exhaust, Short ram intake and gonna order some springs soon.
anyways the creaking clutch was fixed, thanks everyone for their input on the subject.
Off topic to the main post I did..
I was wondering if you do hill starts using emergency brake then it'll wear out your e brake line faster?
Considering the e brakes are dropped as the car feels like it is moving; will this damage it in anyway?
Thanks in advance :)
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

Honduh_integraTR wrote: I was wondering if you do hill starts using emergency brake then it'll wear out your e brake line faster?
EVERYBODY RUN! OH NOES! ANOTHER E-BRAKE WAR!!!
Considering the e brakes are dropped as the car feels like it is moving; will this damage it in anyway?
It's fine. Do it however you like. You won't be destroying any of the parts involved unless you're truly abusive.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD