Burning Clutch???

Read the FAQ and still not sure about something? Want to shift faster? Post here.
carsncars
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2008 MINI Cooper

Re: Burning Clutch???

Post by carsncars »

Honduh_integraTR wrote: I was wondering if you do hill starts using emergency brake then it'll wear out your e brake line faster?
Considering the e brakes are dropped as the car feels like it is moving; will this damage it in anyway?
I don't think so. The emergency brake squeezes the calipers together tighter--if you're moving, the slip/pull is applied to the brake calipers, not the e-brake line. So the wear is the same type as when you use your brakes to come to a stop... or when automatic cars "creep" forward with their brakes still on. I think. :) I live in a pretty hilly area and I use my e-brake all the time with no adverse effects.

Back to the reversing topic, backing out of my garage, I have to reverse up a steep driveway. I have to keep the clutch partially engaged (slipping). If I clutch in and then "glide", the part where I'm clutched in is too fast, and I come to a near stop when the clutch is disengaged. So there's no choice but to partially engage it the whole way. It's a short distance though, and I don't really have another option, so I don't get concerned about it. The clutch is designed to wear.
GT_r
Junior Standardshifter

Post by GT_r »

And while intaling a high performance clutch may seem like it should only be used for experts, depending on how far u go with the complete instal, (shortthrow, etc.) they can be a lot more forgiving.
You cant always expect my usual brand of stupidity, I gotta mix it up a little.
-Patrick Star
1974Alfa5spd
Master Standardshifter

Post by 1974Alfa5spd »

I just had this thought, if you're driving for about 1-2 hours, perhaps your e-brake is hanging up? Next time you go to drive, don't just let the handle drop, but actually push it down a little bit to see if there is more travel in it.
fa22raptorf22
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2004 SSM Acura RSX

Post by fa22raptorf22 »

Honduh_integraTR wrote: I was wondering if you do hill starts using emergency brake then it'll wear out your e brake line faster?
Considering the e brakes are dropped as the car feels like it is moving; will this damage it in anyway?
Check which kind of ebrake your car uses. As in my case, the handbrake is attached to the rear calipers and turns something that pushes the rear pads to the disc.

Other cars use a band inside the rear drum brakes. And there are variations on that as well.

But hill starts wont kill the ebrake.
I am a fan of the caliper pushing type because you can safely slow the car with the ebrake if you like, although it will burn the rear more.
asian319
Junior Standardshifter

Post by asian319 »

what exactly does a burning clutch smell like. i think im just paranoid but i get this smell everytime i drive. it might be just the radiator thouhg
1974Alfa5spd
Master Standardshifter

Post by 1974Alfa5spd »

asian319 wrote:what exactly does a burning clutch smell like. i think im just paranoid but i get this smell everytime i drive. it might be just the radiator thouhg
Just like burning brake material.