Question and Answer Session with Race Driver Gary Sheehan

Synchros shot? Weird noises while shifting? Not sure what needs to be replaced?
GarySheehan
Master Standardshifter

Re: Question and Answer Session with Race Driver Gary Sheehan

Post by GarySheehan »

Out of the U.S., yes. Out of North America, not yet.

I did the majority of my racing training in Canada and I've raced in Canada in the Grand-Am Cup racing series.
Draklen
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2010 Hyundai GenCoupe

Post by Draklen »

First I just wanted to say, Thank you for answering questions... even after the April 29 cut-off. :)

If you don't mind still answering questions. I scanned through the previous posts and didn't see this question.
What are your top 2 favorite cars that you've driven?
Also I was just curious if you've driven the 08 STI or the EvoX (stock or modified for either car)? And if you have, what do you think about it/them?
the unknown
Junior Standardshifter

Post by the unknown »

hey gary i was wondering if you could give me any tips for improving my 0-60 foot times in drag racing. i raced at the drag strip for the first time this past summer and i got sum really bad times. i think my clutch was slipping at that point but i know most of it had to do with my inexperience. my shortest 0-60 was 3.04 seconds and my fastest run was 19.1 at 73 mph. i drive a 91 integra rs btw. how can i reduce this time?
gizmo
Master Standardshifter
Cars: tC

Post by gizmo »

When it becomes egregiously clear to the driver that he/she is going to crash, I'm told he/she should let go of the wheel. But what should the driver do with his/her arms so that they don't flail around and potentially extend out the window. I ask this question for two scenarios: normal daily driving in a car with airbags and on a racetrack where there are no airbags (as the driver shouldn't move far enough to hit anything).
RITmusic2k
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2004 BMW 330i ZHP

Post by RITmusic2k »

Is Gary still around here? Besides you last two guys, this thread hasn't been updated in almost a year.

If he is, then:

Gary, I've gotten into the habit of double-clutching just about every shift, up and down, while driving on the streets. Without getting into a discussion of the merits (or lack thereof) of DC in a modern gearbox, do you think the added smoothness of properly executed DC upshifts offers a benefit over a slightly-faster-executed SC upshift or powershift? Or is it too dependent on too many factors to be an answerable question?
GarySheehan
Master Standardshifter

Post by GarySheehan »

RITmusic2k wrote:Is Gary still around here? Besides you last two guys, this thread hasn't been updated in almost a year.

If he is, then:

Gary, I've gotten into the habit of double-clutching just about every shift, up and down, while driving on the streets. Without getting into a discussion of the merits (or lack thereof) of DC in a modern gearbox, do you think the added smoothness of properly executed DC upshifts offers a benefit over a slightly-faster-executed SC upshift or powershift? Or is it too dependent on too many factors to be an answerable question?
I don't think that DC upshifts are much benefit at all. The gearbox's internals are slowing down during a shift as does your engine speed. The speed differential tends to be much closer on upshifts vs. downshifts.

Gary
Caramel
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: [1999 Volvo S70]

Post by Caramel »

Lot's of great answers and questions! thanks for doing this!

What's your experience with drifting? Are you a fan? Have you tried it competitively?
LHOswald
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '99 Civic Hatch w/B16a

Post by LHOswald »

Caramel wrote:Lot's of great answers and questions! thanks for doing this!

What's your experience with drifting? Are you a fan? Have you tried it competitively?
dorifto!

Gary Sheehan is actually known as Keiichi Tsuchiya in japan...he's pretty much the man
GarySheehan
Master Standardshifter

Post by GarySheehan »

Caramel wrote:Lot's of great answers and questions! thanks for doing this!

I haven't tried competitive drifting yet, but I would jump at the opportunity. It looks like a lot of fun!

I've done it accidentally a few times, though...

GarySheehan
Master Standardshifter

Post by GarySheehan »

gizmo wrote:When it becomes egregiously clear to the driver that he/she is going to crash, I'm told he/she should let go of the wheel. But what should the driver do with his/her arms so that they don't flail around and potentially extend out the window. I ask this question for two scenarios: normal daily driving in a car with airbags and on a racetrack where there are no airbags (as the driver shouldn't move far enough to hit anything).
Some drivers cross their arms across their chest, others put their hands up on either side of their head. Window nets are there to keep your arms from flailing out the window in a roll.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

FLAIL!
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
fr4n
Senior Standardshifter

Re: Question and Answer Session with Race Driver Gary Sheeha

Post by fr4n »

do u know why on a track, pros are determined to engage every gear as they downshift?
whats the benefit of it? is it beneficial to the health of the tranny or is it only beneficial for the engine braking?

for street driving
i notice ppl just clutch in and run it thru each gate or simply block shift if theyre lazy
sometimes rev matching sometimes not