handbrake issues

Synchros shot? Weird noises while shifting? Not sure what needs to be replaced?
wannabe
Master Standardshifter
Cars: NONE - take the bus

handbrake issues

Post by wannabe »

background:

when i got this car from grandpa the handbrake didn't work. I had a friend work on it and it works now, if only to hold the car whenits off on a hill. which is fine.

now the car slips on hills (read: driveways) and i've had it slip as i was getting Back INTO the car after it sitting there overnight. driveway has been clear most "winter" of any ice/snow/wetness. theres a grunting/grinding noise that comes from the rear brakes but i don't know if its related, it probably is.

any ideas?

drives me crazy and i get to park on the road most of the time, which isn't bad, its a quiet cul-de-sac and only time i'm in someones way is the snowplow.
2003 Chrysler town and country

Crafting and stuff
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Re: handbrake issues

Post by potownrob »

leave it parked in gear (in 1st, 2nd or reverse, and w/ handbrake engaged if on a hill). i had to do this for the whole 5 years i had the maxima - that car's handbrake never held well, even after it was repaired. when i got the 96 accord, it's handbrake worked much better but i still left it in gear to be safe.
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

Does it feel right when you pull it? Resistance should get progressively tougher until you can't pull it anymore, before you reach the stop at the end of its possible travel. It should feel like someone stronger could pull it one more click.

You could try it on the road at low speed and see if it can slow the car.

Some cars have automatically adjusting parking brakes that require you to back up and use the parking brake to stop the car. Back up at 5mph and yank the brake hard. After a few tries, that may make it auto-adjust. You could also try backing up and slamming on the service brake; some cars adjust that way. You might google for your car to find out a recommended procedure for its brakes.

Could be a loose or broken brake cable. With the brake NOT engaged, it should be taut. Find the cable under the car and follow it back, make sure it is taut everywhere, including the two cables that split off to each wheel.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
wannabe
Master Standardshifter
Cars: NONE - take the bus

Post by wannabe »

potownrob wrote:leave it parked in gear (in 1st, 2nd or reverse, and w/ handbrake engaged if on a hill). i had to do this for the whole 5 years i had the maxima - that car's handbrake never held well, even after it was repaired. when i got the 96 accord, it's handbrake worked much better but i still left it in gear to be safe.
it is in gear and it still slips!

i was sitting in the back seat cleaning it out yesterday and it was rolling backwards....so i got out cuz i had no foot brake accessibility.
theholycow wrote:Does it feel right when you pull it? Resistance should get progressively tougher until you can't pull it anymore, before you reach the stop at the end of its possible travel. It should feel like someone stronger could pull it one more click.
no, it doesn't feel that way
theholycow wrote: You could try it on the road at low speed and see if it can slow the car.
doesn't do anything on the road....i can drive around town with the handbrake on and go like 40 or whatever.
theholycow wrote: Some cars have automatically adjusting parking brakes that require you to back up and use the parking brake to stop the car. Back up at 5mph and yank the brake hard. After a few tries, that may make it auto-adjust. You could also try backing up and slamming on the service brake; some cars adjust that way. You might google for your car to find out a recommended procedure for its brakes.

Could be a loose or broken brake cable. With the brake NOT engaged, it should be taut. Find the cable under the car and follow it back, make sure it is taut everywhere, including the two cables that split off to each wheel.
good idea. i'll check that if i can get it on the lift at the lab next week
2003 Chrysler town and country

Crafting and stuff
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

Does it feel right when you pull it
It ALWAYS feels right when I pull it.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
padauk_dust
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '88 Accord, '96 VFR

Post by padauk_dust »

Did you ever get this fixed, Kelly? Hope so.
Many cars have 1 or 2 places the handbrake can be adjusted. If you're feeling up to it you can search for them. One should be near the lever itself and the other near the rear wheels.
'88 Accord DX
'96 VFR750