Clicking noise when releaseing clutch in neutral

Synchros shot? Weird noises while shifting? Not sure what needs to be replaced?
kayubassist
Senior Standardshifter

Clicking noise when releaseing clutch in neutral

Post by kayubassist »

My car is brand new, only about 1100km on odometer as of now.

I am having my car looked at by dealer next week because of some strange noise when slowly releasing the clutch in neutral.

I did not notice it until yesterday when I pulled into my garage after a 20 minute drive.

When car is in stand still with the shifter in neutral position, releasing the clutch pedal creates some kind of metal grinding noise.
*click click click click click click*

It starts at about half way. When the clutch is fully pressed to the floor, I don't hear it.

This morning I tried that again before I head out to work, I could barely hear it. No, I could not hear it. maybe some growling the clutch usually makes around the grabbing point.
After I got to my work and pulled into the parking lot at work, I tried it again and I could hear the same noise.

While driving, the car acts normal, ie grabs fine, no slipping like described on many videos on youtube, no jerky shifts.
1st->2nd is sometimes jerky but I think that relates to my technique.

What could the problem possibly be?

Sure I am not familiar with manual but is there any chance I messed up the whole clutch mechanism in 1100km?
I had some stalls on hills but other than that I had nothing major like smokes or burning smell or mis-shifting and I haven't revved above 3000 even once.
2012 Audi A3 S-Line Titanium 6MT
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Re: Clicking noise when releaseing clutch in neutral

Post by theholycow »

Does it continue making the sound while idling in neutral after your foot is off the clutch pedal?
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
kayubassist
Senior Standardshifter

Post by kayubassist »

theholycow wrote:Does it continue making the sound while idling in neutral after your foot is off the clutch pedal?
yes.
and then it kinda mingles with engine sound.
kayubassist
Senior Standardshifter

Post by kayubassist »

oh
and I don't hear any noise when the engine is off.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

^ Not even that guy in the car behind you yelling "Get moving or get out of the way!"?

Some transmissions will have a slight rattle while idling in neutral. Dual-mass flywheels are used to reduce or eliminate that noise when tuning of the clutch disk damper doesn't achieve good enough results. Some 6-speeds have two intermediate shafts and are more likely to rattle. If you nudge the engine speed up, does the rattle go away?

Warm trans fluid = more likely to hear rattle.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
kayubassist
Senior Standardshifter

Post by kayubassist »

I tried to replicate the sound today.
I don't hear it when I let go of the clutch pedal after a short drive, but the sound can be heard when I pump the clutch pedal repeatedly trying to make that sound.
My appointment is tomorrow morning and I hope the car is ok.
kayubassist
Senior Standardshifter

Post by kayubassist »

technician says it's normal
just let the car break in :?
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

On a car this new, I wouldn't worry about it, primarily because it's more than likely that you didn't hear this noise before, however it has always been there. With a vehicle that's unfamiliar to you, whether it's new or used, it's hard to note all of the sounds that stand out right away. It takes a bit of time to begin isolating them and then deciding whether that's normal or not. I know this based on my own experience. This happens particularly with 'little' noises - noises that aren't immediately indicative of a major issues.

Considering how new the car is, just keep an ear out, listen for it occasionally and make sure it's not getting worse with time. Don't obsess about it and listen for it every time. If it's not changing over thousands of miles, then it's most likely a trait of the car and not necessarily indicative of an issue.

if it bothers you still, ask to drive the same car at the dealer, get it warmed up and see what you hear.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
kayubassist
Senior Standardshifter

Post by kayubassist »

Thanks for the tips guys.

I just decided not to care about it. If there is problem, I will know for sure. But minor noise, I can live with it especially when the shop foreman says it's ok. He drove my car even harsher than how I usually drive.
It doesn't bother me when I don't think about it and try to look for that sound because I can't hear it unless I look for the sound in a quiet area.

But it was a good visit to the dealer because he told me to drive it to see if i was doing anything wrong, so I showed him how I drive and he said no problem.
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

kayubassist wrote:But it was a good visit to the dealer because he told me to drive it to see if i was doing anything wrong, so I showed him how I drive and he said no problem.
:D
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD