Loud grinding noise when in reverse

Synchros shot? Weird noises while shifting? Not sure what needs to be replaced?
kayubassist
Senior Standardshifter

Re: Loud grinding noise when in reverse

Post by kayubassist »

Maggiolone wrote:VW reverse gears on manual transmissions are quirky.

I've driven both MKI and MKVIs in manual in reverse, and they both act the same. It's best to shift into reverse 2x with those cars before actually driving it, to make sure you won't strip a gear.

It's an annoying sound when you think you pushed down, left and up on the shifter and you'll still hear "wrrrrrrrgh." and you don't move. Happened to me once while pulling up at a mechanic; he wasn't too pleased.
I think so too.
My Audi (which has the same parts as VW) did this once and I freaked out.
So now, I always confirm that reverse gear is fully in by moving the shifter to reverse position at least twice.
2012 Audi A3 S-Line Titanium 6MT
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

Don't you have to jam down with considerable force and pop it into reverse that way? My friend test drove an 08 2.5L last week and it looked like he was really having to apply some upper body strength. I can see this might be difficult if you're trying too quickly. This is why I like pulling up on the collar to slide over. :mrgreen:

He also killed it twice, was rather embarrassed especially when he found out you have to completely turn the car off in order to start from a stall.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

I really hated the requirement to turn it off before restarting when I had my VW. I guess it's a feature to help avoid cranking it while it's already running, but it's not exactly hard to detect when it's actually running vs. when it has stalled.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

No, it was obviously to frustrate the user. You're just learning, you're stressed, nerves frazzled, frustrated, you try to crank it and it doesn't work...and now your brain doesn't work either so you try to crank it again and it still doesn't work...
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

paul34 wrote:Why couldn't they just have it not start the starter if the engine is already running? Seems it would be easier than forcing the user to turn the key all the way back... unless their intention was to embarrass the user.
This is one thing that GM got right. If you the engine already running, the starter would not engage, at least in the later models.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!