Gearbox issue?

Synchros shot? Weird noises while shifting? Not sure what needs to be replaced?
Ron008
Junior Standardshifter
Cars: 2010 VW Golf 2.5L

Gearbox issue?

Post by Ron008 »

Hi everyone,

I noticed recently with the cold weather that it's been difficult to get my golf into gear. It seems to be on gears 1 - 3 and is more noticeable in the mornings after sitting in the garage for a while. It doesn't flow smoothly like I'm used to when shifting. For instance it'll sometimes be catchy when shifting out of first and it is rough getting into second.

I guess the best way that I can explain it is that when I try to put it in gear, it feels like there's something in the way of the shifter for a second before I give it a little bit more force to get it in gear. I don't hear any grinding when I do this. Is this typical in colder weather (48 degrees in the morning). It's not as bad once warmed up but still not smooth like butter.
FDSpirit
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2000 Honda Civic Si

Re: Gearbox issue?

Post by FDSpirit »

It might just be that the tranny fluid is cold. I say just drive it a little easier in the morning. I shift at maybe 2,300 or so when it's cold out. If you can, start the car, let it run for a few, and drive around the block a few times.
2000 Honda Civic Si- Slightly faster than your grandmomma's grocery getter......slightly.
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

That's quite normal when it gets colder. If it becomes an issue, consider switching fluids. My goat likes Mobil 1 synth ATF much better than GM factory fluid. The substitute Mobil fluid is also approved for use in my car since the gearbox specifies auto trans fluid.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

probably normal even though you are way down in arizona. you could switch gear oils/lubes, preferably to a synthetic oil or lube. be sure to get the right one for your transmission though :D :o
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

I don't remember noticing that on my VW at those temperatures. When it got down to 10°F it would balk a little, but that went away fully before the engine was even completely warmed up.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD