Clutch issues....

Synchros shot? Weird noises while shifting? Not sure what needs to be replaced?
Mo Jiggity
Junior Standardshifter

Clutch issues....

Post by Mo Jiggity »

Over the past week or so, a very strange problem with my clutch on my 2001 F-150 has manifested itself... Randomly, and for maybe 90 seconds at a time the clutch's engagement point will change without warning to maybe an inch off of the floor and the clutch won't disengage fully. This isn't so much of a problem when I'm moving since I can rev-match if absolutely necessary (and at the expense of my synchros and all) but when I'm stopped I have no way of getting into first and in motion again... this is what concerns me.

I can't seem to be able to find exactly what is wrong on the internet, since all available literature on this hydraulic clutch issue seems to point to the problem happening all of the time, and this has only happened twice over the course of hours of driving. FWIW I just came back from college where I didn't have my vehicle on Wednesday and like I said it's only happened twice since then.

Anybody have any ideas as to what's up? I'm taking a trip to Delaware in two days with this vehicle so I'd prefer to know whether it's truly tripworthy or not.

Thanks!
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Re: Clutch issues....

Post by AHTOXA »

Seems like you are ubruptly losing hydraulic pressure. Have you checked the fluid whether it's low? If all seems to be ok there, check you clutch master cylinder crawl under your dash where it exits the firewall and see if you spot leaks there.

I'm starting to think that your master cylinder just about had it. Check the slave as well.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
Mo Jiggity
Junior Standardshifter

Post by Mo Jiggity »

Well I just drove the thing around and it did it again twice in quick succession, then went back to being fine... I checked under the steering column and there doesn't appear to be any leakage from the cylinder of which you speak... (the one that attaches to the firewall and is attached to the clutch pedal). As for the clutch fluid I really just can't seem to find it under the hood, so I have no idea how to check it. My manual says it's in a location that simply doesn't exist under my hood.

Is the slave cylinder easily accessible? I'm not really car-savvy at all so I need all the direction I can get on this one, and unlike computer issues which have abundant fixes on the Internet help for specific vehicles seems to be sparse, as are the service manuals.
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter

Post by AHTOXA »

You need to find the clutch fluid reservoir. Under the hood it's normally located very close to the clutch master cylinder (the other end of the later is what you saw attached to the clutch pedal under the steering column. It's a small container and only holds a few ounces of fluid.

The clutch slave cylinder is located near the trans and can be tricky to find. You would need to search Internet for the location and visual reference.

Is your pedal mushy or spongy as well?
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter

Post by AHTOXA »

I'm postng off my phone and can't be very efficient with searching for you.

I'm sure another one of us will be more helpful by hitting up google for you perhaps.
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
Mo Jiggity
Junior Standardshifter

Post by Mo Jiggity »

WELL... found the problem. I found where the clutch fluid is at and it was about 1/2" below the step in the reservoir, where it should be filled to. Looked under the truck and lo and behold a small puddle has started forming towards the front passenger side... only a few inches in diameter. It wasn't leaking when I saw it, but I got in and depressed the clutch for a few seconds and got out to see a few drops escaping the underside of my chassis.

Guess it's the slave cylinder. Any idea how much in parts/labor this is gonna cost to fix?
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter

Post by AHTOXA »

The part itself wouldn't be much. Should be under 30 or 40 bucks. It's not too bad replacing it yourself, just depends on how comfortable you are doing this. I can't say regarding shop labor cost. You can call a few local ones and ask around, that would be the best bet.
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
LHOswald
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '99 Civic Hatch w/B16a

Post by LHOswald »

well that problem started and stopped pretty quickly! everything AHTOXA said is completely correct though. parts would probably be minimal but the job is daunting if you haven't a clue what your doing. any mechanically savvy friends? im sure they'd do a job like that for nothing more than a 12 pack >.<
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

If the Ford F150 is like the Ford Ranger, the slave cylinder may be inside the bellhousing. :(

If you're driving it and can't get into 1st, I think this will get the job done:
1. Shut the engine off.
2. Shift into 1st.
3. Start the engine only when you're ready to go.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
LHOswald
Master Standardshifter

Post by LHOswald »

i believe for my mazda M5OD transmission the slave is inside the transmission as well.
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

Well get him out! Slavery has ended
LHOswald
Master Standardshifter

Post by LHOswald »

don't lie to me. what about jim crowe then!? he's my buddayy