Stalling

Synchros shot? Weird noises while shifting? Not sure what needs to be replaced?
LHOswald
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '99 Civic Hatch w/B16a

Stalling

Post by LHOswald »

no its not me dumping the clutch at idle and wondering why the car shut off. (haters!)

i was leaving school today and when i pulled in my driveway (in neutral, clutch out) it just stalled. i thought i might've had it in gear but when i checked the shifter it wiggled left and right in neutral. confused i turned the car back on and it jumped right to 1100 rpms but instantly went down to about 2-3 hundred and just died again. i popped the hood, propped it up, started the car up, slammed the gas to the floor until it hit about 6k, jumped out and grabbed the throttle in the engine bay to keep it from dying (noone was around to help me). i figured it was the IAC valve not holding the throttle open at idle. i pushed the fast idle cam over and let it sit at about 2k while i was checking everything out. nothing looked unhooked, broken or worn (more worn than an 18 year old truck should be at least). confused as hell i called up this guy i work with whos pretty good with cars. the second i told him the problem he said put more gas in your tank (i was at about 3\16ths of a tank) and see if it does it again. i put 20 bucks in and it hasn't done it since. talked to an actual mechanic and he said its a possibility the carb just needs to be cleaned. i've been meaning to do it, but theres aloooooot of little parts in there and i have never taken a carb apart before, and none of my more mechanically inclined friends have been available to help me out.

long story short, what do you guys think the problem is? about 131000 miles on the original engine, no idea how well this thing was maintained considering the tranny fluid has never been touched and the air filter\pcv valve were pretty much gone when i got the thing. help!
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Re: Stalling

Post by watkins »

Buy junkyard carb. Clean that and install it rather than risking a f*ck-up of your only means of transportation.
LHOswald
Master Standardshifter

Post by LHOswald »

i have feets
watkins
Master Standardshifter

Post by watkins »

How many?
LHOswald
Master Standardshifter

Post by LHOswald »

9000+
watkins
Master Standardshifter

Post by watkins »

You should find that sufficient.
94Corolla5Speed
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 1994 Corolla, 1990 Miata

Post by 94Corolla5Speed »

LHOswald wrote:i have feets
watkins wrote:How many?
LHOswald wrote:9000+
watkins wrote:You should find that sufficient.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

Fuel pump is your problem. Replace it, it should be cheap and easy; AFAIK all carbureted vehicles have a mechanical engine-mounted fuel pump that takes five minutes to replace and costs $20 at Benny's, or used to back in the day when such vehicles were common.
watkins wrote:Buy junkyard carb. Clean that and install it rather than risking a f*ck-up of your only means of transportation.
If you're going to mess with the cobbarayta, I agree, get a junkyard one.

You mentioned your IAC...would you have one, what with having a cobbarayta and all?
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
LHOswald
Master Standardshifter

Post by LHOswald »

there still has to be an IAC to hold the throttle open when the gas pedal isn't holding it open if its carbureted. its not the same in the sense of a fuel injected car, its more of a diversion inlet\outlet that lets air still come in even though the gas isnt touched. or at least thats how it is in my truck >.<

and fuel pump is electronic. im only assuming that because the fuel pump is in the gas tank and not mechanically run by the engine and\or near the engine whatsoever
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

No IAC is necessary. When the throttle closes it doesn't completely close off all air to the engine, it just goes down to a minimum. You adjust that minimum with the idle screw on the carburetor (and probably some early fuel injected systems). There are cold and warm idle screws.

An IAC is a computer-controlled motor that does the same job as an idle screw, except it automatically adjusts itself.

Anyway, academic stuff aside, yours probably does have one...I just checked on autozone.com, they list one for carbureted 1992 B2200s. My 1980 Buick does not, per autozone.com, Haynes, Chiltons, and advanceauto.com.

That's cool about the fuel pump, I didn't realize they were putting electric fuel pumps in carbureted vehicles. That may have been because mechanical fuel pumps are annoying if you don't drive every day (crank it for 45 seconds before gas gets to the engine), or it may have been because the 1992 B2200 was also offered with fuel injection and they wanted to have a single fuel tank/fuel pump...
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
LHOswald
Master Standardshifter

Post by LHOswald »

and because its electronically pumped im most likely going to swap it over to multi-port fuel injection. my sisters boyfriend said he could probably get it from a junkyard for practically no money and the hardest part would be getting the computer\harness.