Wierd Shifting...

Synchros shot? Weird noises while shifting? Not sure what needs to be replaced?
sasquatch
Junior Standardshifter
Cars: 1972 Ford F250

Wierd Shifting...

Post by sasquatch »

Information...
So, I have a '72 Ford F-250 with a 4 speed transmission (and from help from some of you guys, found that 1st and Reverse are almost definitely not synchronized) and am just getting started driving a standard. Unless I need to back up or go up a small hill, I usually start in 2nd gear. 1st gear only goes up to 10 mph, and 20-24 in my car seems to be the limit it wants to be at in 3rd.

The problem: While shifting between 3 and 4 up and down are really smooth, going from 3 down to 2 is pretty rough. My car kind of lurches and slows down mega-hard, and while it seems like it should be at the right speed for the 2nd gear, it's almost like the car is a little disgruntled for me even suggesting it. It sort of lurches, makes a sound like the engine is almost revving but shouldn't be? It isn't pulling when I start to slow down in order to shift down to second, but I'm not sure if that's because I'm getting better at it or if that's just a standard transmission thing (that slower speeds in a higher gear while preparing to shift down isn't usually that noticable ).

Basically what I want to know is, in your opinion, is this indicative of a huge problem? Am I just having n00b a sob story here? I just want to make sure my transmission isn't majorly messed up and would become dangerous or anything. Luckily this would only happen when I'm going slow enough to even switch into that gear, but because that usually means cars around me are expecting me to slow down quick (murderous thoughts toward auto trans. drivers are growing here) I feel like it's possible for it to become dangerous, just because no matter what I do it seems not to be as gradual of a slowdown as I'd like (because of that sort-of-lurching).

OK, long question, but if anyone can help that'd be great!
LHOswald
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '99 Civic Hatch w/B16a

Re: Wierd Shifting...

Post by LHOswald »

this sounds like your just not rev matching high enough and when you let the clutch out its pulling the rpms up and slowing you down. the gearing between 1st and 2nd is major in a 5 speed. in a 4 speed the gears are farther apart and therefore require higher blips (especially in lower gears) to maintain a smooth downshift. the next time you downshift rev the engine up a little higher than normal and see if theres a difference. (i know there will be)
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

Your 2nd is like a modern average car's 1st. Downshifting to 1st for us, or 2nd for you, is likely to be rough unless you rev match perfectly and hold your RPM. I generally recommend against using that shift, which tends to be unnecessary, but your '72 may be short on power and require that shift.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
Takigu
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 98 s-10 4.3L vortec v6

Post by Takigu »

if its anything like my dads '70 something chevy C10 its basicly got a 3-speed with creeper that is only needed when towing or hauling a load but yeah try rev matching the downshift that should help alot
sasquatch
Junior Standardshifter
Cars: 1972 Ford F250

Post by sasquatch »

Ahhh. I'll practice that, then - at least it's releaving to know that it's probably just me being a little inexperienced and not something wrong with my car..
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

Lurching and what not is caused by the difference in the RPMs between the gears that needs to be absorbed somehow once the clutch is synched up. As suggested, higher RPM blip on the downshift will help as well as being gentle with the throttle once in gear. This will cause less whiplash. :D
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650