What's wrong with my car??? Help fellow standard shifters!

Synchros shot? Weird noises while shifting? Not sure what needs to be replaced?
mesaboogie18
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2004 VW GTI 1.8T 5speed

Re: What's wrong with my car??? Help fellow standard shifters!

Post by mesaboogie18 »

LHOswald wrote:
mesaboogie18 wrote:And why is my shifting even being brought up??!!?? Seriously, I mentioned ONCE that I forced it into 2nd gear from 1st....b/c I needed to go. I don't do it ever shift and ever since my car started acting up, I've been taking it easy on her. I shift at 3k RPMs max now and it shifts just fine. I appreciate the input but not the judgement of how I'm driving.
i brought your shifting up because you said you had a hard time getting it into gear. i figured you were just beating on it since you modded it so thoroughly. didn't mean any disrespect, and i wasn't trying to dis your driving ability. was just trying to point out a fact that i wasn't sure if you were aware of or not
Not you mane...i was referring to fa22raptor. And the reason I'm having a hard time getting it into gear....is b/c of a slipping clutch...not my shifting abilities. And why would you assume I "beat on my car" b/c I "modded it so thoroughly"? What does that even mean. Yes I've modified my car heavily and YES I drive it hard, aggressive, and in a performance way...I don't just redline dump the clutch or anything stupid like that. It's a performance car...I drive it the way it's supposed to be. You should never assume someone drives their car like a retard just b/c it's a heavily modified performance car.

And once again I DO NOT need a lecture on when to downshift fa22raptor. You can't seriously be telling me that I should downshift to go into my powerband...duh. Once again this isn't my first time at the rodeo with a standard shift car.

Where are the peeps that have actually been on this forum for a while? (Watkins, Athoxa, holycow, and Bawked...thanks for the input/advice guys, I'm not excluding you all) B/c those are the people that I want to hear from...the ones that will be helpful and not try to talk to me like I'm some newb who just bought a stick and can't drive for shit. If you don't have something constructive to say on this thread, then post somewhere else. The end.
2004 VW GTI 1.8T

"Forgiveness is between them and God...I arrange the meeting"
fa22raptorf22
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2004 SSM Acura RSX

Post by fa22raptorf22 »

mesaboogie18 wrote: Where are the peeps that have actually been on this forum for a while? (Watkins, Athoxa, holycow, and Bawked...thanks for the input/advice guys, I'm not excluding you all) B/c those are the people that I want to hear from...the ones that will be helpful and not try to talk to me like I'm some newb who just bought a stick and can't drive for shit. If you don't have something constructive to say on this thread, then post somewhere else. The end.
Haha sorry bro. I will stop the ball bustin'.

Truce man?????

Try this for a test.

At a low speed like 35mph in say 3rd gear..........with the throttle constant, just do a quick clutch kick and tell us how hard it grabs, or if the revs go up some, and then come back down.

Also, when rolling at idle in 1st, floor it and say whether the tires spin, or the rpms just shoot up like the clutch is slipping.
Last edited by fa22raptorf22 on Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
mesaboogie18
Senior Standardshifter

Post by mesaboogie18 »

fa22raptorf22 wrote:
mesaboogie18 wrote: Where are the peeps that have actually been on this forum for a while? (Watkins, Athoxa, holycow, and Bawked...thanks for the input/advice guys, I'm not excluding you all) B/c those are the people that I want to hear from...the ones that will be helpful and not try to talk to me like I'm some newb who just bought a stick and can't drive for shit. If you don't have something constructive to say on this thread, then post somewhere else. The end.
Haha sorry bro. I will stop the ball bustin'.

Truce man?????
You know it mane :wink:
2004 VW GTI 1.8T

fa22raptorf22
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2004 SSM Acura RSX

Post by fa22raptorf22 »

mesaboogie18 wrote: You know it mane :wink:
i edited above for ya!
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

It's good to see some civility left on the forums.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

Once in a while at least.

I say go buy a clutch
94Corolla5Speed
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 1994 Corolla, 1990 Miata

Post by 94Corolla5Speed »

At first I didn't your original post because you said it stayed at 4000 RPM yet accelerated. I figured the electricals screwed up and weren't displaying proper RPM. After reading more though, I'd say go get a new clutch and resurface or get a new flywheel.
mesaboogie18
Senior Standardshifter

Post by mesaboogie18 »

I talked to one of the vDub tuners here on the island and I'm going to let them drive my GTI tomorrow so they can see what's up. They told me over the phone that it sounds like typical clutch problems. If it turns out to be the clutch for sure, then I'm going to have them install the Sachs VR6 clutch and pressure plate, and a 14 lb lightened flywheel. That will be more than enough to keep all that torque at bay. 8)

And I know MKIV's are notorious for electrical problems, but I happened to have lucked out and bought a solid GTI. No electrical gremlins save for the power windows once in a blue moon. Other than that, she runs beautifully and has proven to be reliable so far. I mean come on...I added 100lb/ft of torque and 60+hp to the motor 10 months ago pushing TWICE the amount of boost it came with stock..and the clutch is JUST NOW acting up. Not shabby IMHO.
2004 VW GTI 1.8T

94Corolla5Speed
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 1994 Corolla, 1990 Miata

Post by 94Corolla5Speed »

How much torque is the Sachs VR6 clutch supposed to hold? My friend replaced the clutch on his MK3 VR6 for some reason (his old one was perfectly fine) with a Sachs clutch. I think that's OE isn't it?
mesaboogie18
Senior Standardshifter

Post by mesaboogie18 »

94Corolla5Speed wrote:How much torque is the Sachs VR6 clutch supposed to hold? My friend replaced the clutch on his MK3 VR6 for some reason (his old one was perfectly fine) with a Sachs clutch. I think that's OE isn't it?
ALOT of torque. The guy that's going to help install the clutch had a turbocharged VR6 with over 300WHP and about the same for torque and it lasted for a couple years...so yeah...it will be more than enough for my car. And yes, the Sachs is an OEM clutch.
2004 VW GTI 1.8T

Bawked
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 08 JDM Subaru Impreza STI

Post by Bawked »

damn i want a grabby new clutch now :( nothing like feeling yourself being slammed back in your seat when shifting hard and dumping the clutch. Weird that it sat at 4k rpm tho.
<3 fwd
mesaboogie18
Senior Standardshifter

Post by mesaboogie18 »

Bawked wrote:damn i want a grabby new clutch now :( nothing like feeling yourself being slammed back in your seat when shifting hard and dumping the clutch. Weird that it sat at 4k rpm tho.
Tried it again today and in 3rd gear it revved up to 5,000rpms and stayed there for a good bit. Car still accelerates, just nowhere near as fast. Almost feels like the car is in neutral??? Idk...getting it checked out tomorrow and if it's the clutch I'm replacing it and then non DC downshifting into 1st gear going 50mph while driving over puppies and smoking 3 cigarettes and washing it all down with jack and a snort of coke out of a prostitutes butt hole just for good measure... :mrgreen:
2004 VW GTI 1.8T

watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

...while masturbating
LHOswald
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '99 Civic Hatch w/B16a

Post by LHOswald »

mesaboogie18 wrote:Not you mane...i was referring to fa22raptor. And the reason I'm having a hard time getting it into gear....is b/c of a slipping clutch...not my shifting abilities.
why would a slipping clutch make it harder to get into gear? the only way the clutch should make it harder to get into gear is if its not releasing fully.

And why would you assume I "beat on my car" b/c I "modded it so thoroughly"? What does that even mean. Yes I've modified my car heavily and YES I drive it hard, aggressive, and in a performance way...I don't just redline dump the clutch or anything stupid like that. It's a performance car...I drive it the way it's supposed to be. You should never assume someone drives their car like a retard just b/c it's a heavily modified performance car.
because im sure you do beat on your car because otherwise why would you have dropped so much money into making it so much faster? i wasn't trying to say that you beat on it in a sense that you don't know what your doing. in my mind anytime you take it past 5k your beating on the car. i never said you were driving like a retard either. practice what you preach. your saying i shouldn't jump to conclusions that people with modded cars beat on them, yet your jumping to conclusions saying that i don't think you know how to drive properly.

And once again I DO NOT need a lecture on when to downshift fa22raptor. You can't seriously be telling me that I should downshift to go into my powerband...duh. Once again this isn't my first time at the rodeo with a standard shift car.

Where are the peeps that have actually been on this forum for a while? (Watkins, Athoxa, holycow, and Bawked...thanks for the input/advice guys, I'm not excluding you all) B/c those are the people that I want to hear from...the ones that will be helpful and not try to talk to me like I'm some newb who just bought a stick and can't drive for shit. If you don't have something constructive to say on this thread, then post somewhere else. The end.bolded for truth!
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

LHOswald wrote:in my mind anytime you take it past 5k your beating on the car.
Careful, them's fightin' words and/or heresy around here, AFAIK.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD