What's wrong with my car??? Help fellow standard shifters!

Synchros shot? Weird noises while shifting? Not sure what needs to be replaced?
mesaboogie18
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2004 VW GTI 1.8T 5speed

Re: What's wrong with my car??? Help fellow standard shifters!

Post by mesaboogie18 »

fa22raptorf22 wrote:
mesaboogie18 wrote:Whoa whoa whoa, pump the brakes!!! This isn't my fist time at the rodeo with a manual transmission car my friend. Based on how the tranny is treated??? How do you know how I treat it?

I know how to blip for downshifts. Double clutch on a synchronized transmission???? Ok Vin Diesel...fast and the furious much???
That was a fail right there haha. You think you don't have to double clutch your 65 mph downshift????? think again.

Sorry dude, I'm sure that somewhere in your post you might have been trying to be helpful, but

you just insulted my intelligence and my ability to drive a standard shift car.
didn't mean to, but when make a f&f reference......what else am i going to do? Give me information that would prove otherwise

I don't ride the clutch, I don't treat my car bad, I DO however drive it like the performance car it is. So next time try to answer my question instead of "ripping me a new one." :roll: Geez.
Rope-Pusher wrote:The problem is that your clutch was designed to handle newton-meters and there you go stuphing foot-pounds through it.
That is one of the funniest things ive ever read about german cars ahaha
Actually you were rude to me BEFORE the fast and furious comment so don't tell me you were rude to me in the first place b/c of that. And NO, I don't DC my 65mph downshifts. My car is not a 1980 Ford F-150 with a non-synchronized transmission, nor is it a semi-truck. You are not even answering my question or contributing to this post at all. You are just trolling this post and trying to make yourself sound like you know what you are talking about by putting me down. You don't know me, you don't know how I drive, and you are obviously a douche bag as obvious from your comments. So unless you have something productive to contribute besides snide remarks, you can help yourself to a tall refeshing glass of shut the f*ck up. Thank you.

Oh, and please tell me that you understand that quote about german cars was a joke and not factual. Then again, judging by your responses, I'm going to assume you actually believe the newton-meters vs foot-pounds actually affects the clutch.
Last edited by mesaboogie18 on Mon Nov 30, 2009 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2004 VW GTI 1.8T

"Forgiveness is between them and God...I arrange the meeting"
fa22raptorf22
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2004 SSM Acura RSX

Post by fa22raptorf22 »

mesaboogie18 wrote:Actually you were rude to me BEFORE the fast and furious comment so don't tell me you were rude to me in the first place b/c of that. And NO, I don't DC my 65mph downshifts. My car is not a 1980 Ford F-150 with a non-synchronized transmission, nor is it a semi-truck. You are not even answering my question or contributing to this post at all. You are just trolling this post and trying to make yourself sound like you know what you are talking about by putting me down. You don't know me, you don't know how I drive, and you are obviously a douche bag as obvious from your comments. So unless you have something productive to contribute besides snide remarks, you can help yourself to a tall refeshing glass of shut the f*ck up. Thank you.
Ok, ill contribute.

I would say that the part that is bolded above is why its now hard to force the transmission into gear as your first post stated. This i believe may contribute to some of your problems, just not all.

I would agree with the above posters that your clutch is going, and you should follow the clutch slip test proceedure.
mesaboogie18
Senior Standardshifter

Post by mesaboogie18 »

fa22raptorf22 wrote:
mesaboogie18 wrote:Actually you were rude to me BEFORE the fast and furious comment so don't tell me you were rude to me in the first place b/c of that. And NO, I don't DC my 65mph downshifts. My car is not a 1980 Ford F-150 with a non-synchronized transmission, nor is it a semi-truck. You are not even answering my question or contributing to this post at all. You are just trolling this post and trying to make yourself sound like you know what you are talking about by putting me down. You don't know me, you don't know how I drive, and you are obviously a douche bag as obvious from your comments. So unless you have something productive to contribute besides snide remarks, you can help yourself to a tall refeshing glass of shut the f*ck up. Thank you.
Ok, ill contribute.

I would say that the part that is bolded above is why its now hard to force the transmission into gear as your first post stated. This i believe may contribute to some of your problems, just not all.

I would agree with the above posters that your clutch is going, and you should follow the clutch slip test proceedure.
Thank you for your input. I still do not agree that double clutching caused my clutch to go. In fact if it is my clutch I know for certain that the mods I have made to the motor are the cause. My clutch was designed to handle the stock 180hp 174lb/ft tq from the factory and maybe a litte more power. However I am now pushing close to 230hp and 270lb/ft tq. Double clutching isn't the problem, the extra 100lb/ft torque fits the bill however. I was about 75% sure that my clutch was the issue when I first posted this thread but I wanted to ask my fellow standard shifters if it might be a tranny problem.

Sorry for calling you a douche bag btw. I tend to get defensive when someone who doesn't know me criticizes my driving abilities just from reading my post.
2004 VW GTI 1.8T

LHOswald
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '99 Civic Hatch w/B16a

Post by LHOswald »

Fact: your running a stock clutch that was meant to handle 174 ft\lbs of torque and your now putting out upwards of 250.
Fact: higher torque=higher strength pressure plate and or bigger diameter clutch to handle it. im not surprised the clutch went at all.
Fact: even if you were DCHTing all of your downshifts and not ripping it through the shift gate when you upshift the clutch was doomed from the start.
Fact: a clutch meant for 75+ ft\lbs of torque under full acceleration is going to eventually get some pretty good wear on it. get a new clutch and your problems should be solved.

as for the DCing thing, i would recommend it, but as previously stated by bawked, your synchros aren't going to die out unless your ripping it through the shiftgate semi-often.

those german trannys are a bitch and a half to fix though, and i would recommend that you either take it easier if its not going into gear or find a better transmission to handle the power and rapidity of your shifts.

argument=over
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

fa22raptorf22 wrote:I know how to blip for downshifts. Double clutch on a synchronized transmission???? Ok Vin Diesel...fast and the furious much???
That was a fail right there haha. You think you don't have to double clutch your 65 mph downshift????? think again.
Actually, you dont have to. In fact there is absolutely no reason one should ever have to DC or even revmatch on a functional synchronized transmission.
mesaboogie18
Senior Standardshifter

Post by mesaboogie18 »

LHOswald wrote:Fact: your running a stock clutch that was meant to handle 174 ft\lbs of torque and your now putting out upwards of 250.
Fact: higher torque=higher strength pressure plate and or bigger diameter clutch to handle it. im not surprised the clutch went at all.
Fact: even if you were DCHTing all of your downshifts and not ripping it through the shift gate when you upshift the clutch was doomed from the start.
Fact: a clutch meant for 75+ ft\lbs of torque under full acceleration is going to eventually get some pretty good wear on it. get a new clutch and your problems should be solved.

as for the DCing thing, i would recommend it, but as previously stated by bawked, your synchros aren't going to die out unless your ripping it through the shiftgate semi-often.

those german trannys are a bitch and a half to fix though, and i would recommend that you either take it easier if its not going into gear or find a better transmission to handle the power and rapidity of your shifts.

argument=over
I'm not worried about the tranny at all. These 02J transmissions are more than capable of handling over 400hp all day long. The clutch however definitely needs to be upgraded. I'm going to have a VR6 clutch kit and flywheel installed once I'm 100% sure it's the clutch. I'm no dummy and I know that the clutch was going to need to be replaced eventually after modding my car..but some big turbo dubs are rolling around on stock clutch for at least a few weeks. It doesn't mean mine will last forever, but I figured I had more time. Only 9 months of 230hp awesomness and now my clutch bails? Oh noesz!!!

And why is my shifting even being brought up??!!?? Seriously, I mentioned ONCE that I forced it into 2nd gear from 1st....b/c I needed to go. I don't do it ever shift and ever since my car started acting up, I've been taking it easy on her. I shift at 3k RPMs max now and it shifts just fine. I appreciate the input but not the judgement of how I'm driving.
2004 VW GTI 1.8T

Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

watkins wrote:
fa22raptorf22 wrote:I know how to blip for downshifts. Double clutch on a synchronized transmission???? Ok Vin Diesel...fast and the furious much???
Actually, you dont have to. In fact there is absolutely no reason one should ever have to DC or even revmatch on a functional synchronized transmission.
Ewer so full of spit it's coming out your ears now. Next thing your gonna say is that we can just plop our lazy butts down into the seats instead of doing backflips to seat ourselves. What is this forum cuming, too?
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
fa22raptorf22
Master Standardshifter

Post by fa22raptorf22 »

Rope-Pusher wrote:
watkins wrote:
Ewer so full of spit it's coming out your ears now. Next thing your gonna say is that we can just plop our lazy butts down into the seats instead of doing backflips to seat ourselves. What is this forum cuming, too?
LOL nice pun rope pusher!!

And watkins, with your logic it should be fine getting into 1st at 30mph right???
I know for a fact, to do a redline downshift, the only way to get the shift lever into gear is to blip it up there.
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

No. You can, assuming you arent planning on blowing the engine, always muscle the shifter in to gear if the transmission is functioning properly. You may have some waiting to do, but its possible.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

watkins wrote:No. You can, assuming you arent planning on blowing the engine, always muscle the shifter in to gear if the transmission is functioning properly. You may have some waiting to do, but its possible.
With multi-cone synchronizers, it is all too easy to downshift into lower gears at ridiculous speeds, like 80 MPH downshift into 1st gear. The monkey thought it was all in fun, 'til pop went the clutch plate (as it exceeded it's burst rpm).
mesaboogie18
Senior Standardshifter

Post by mesaboogie18 »

fa22raptorf22 wrote:And watkins, with your logic it should be fine getting into 1st at 30mph right???
I know for a fact, to do a redline downshift, the only way to get the shift lever into gear is to blip it up there."
Why would you want to downshift into a gear if you know it's going to be at redline? We can't all have VTEC and eat our cake too. I could put my car into 1st gear going 30mph if I really wanted to (sans DCing)...but that doesn't mean I do it. I can also go 75mph in 2nd gear...doesn't mean I do all the time...but it's safe to downshift into 2nd going at a high speed without worrying about redlining my poor little 1.8T thanks to it's increased 7,2000 RPM redline. I drive my car properly and I don't need lectures on DC'ing and blipping throttles...I've been driving stick for a few years now and I learned all about that stuff when I joined this forum...which at that time was the coolest forum I've ever joined. There were more helpful people here and less ragging on people over stupid stuff and presuming they drive a certain way based on their posts. For the most part however, there are still helpful peeps here.

This whole thread has gotten way off topic. I don't mind deviating from the topic a little bit, but let's not make this a pissing contest because it burns when I pee sometimes and I don't wanna get hurt. :(
2004 VW GTI 1.8T

Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

House the whether owed ewer whey? Lassed knight's rein was frozen on the windows this moanin'
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

I was going to post some silly pictures that say "Thread failed" and "This thread sucks", but there were too many to choose from.

Sorry your thread got shat upon, guy.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
fa22raptorf22
Master Standardshifter

Post by fa22raptorf22 »

theholycow wrote:I was going to post some silly pictures that say "Thread failed" and "This thread sucks", but there were too many to choose from.

Sorry your thread got shat upon, guy.
Haha nice.

And usually the only time for big downshifts is either a) to drop gears to place you in the power band to up and go, or b) to do a set of sequential ones to prepare to accelerate out of a corner.
LHOswald
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '99 Civic Hatch w/B16a

Post by LHOswald »

mesaboogie18 wrote:And why is my shifting even being brought up??!!?? Seriously, I mentioned ONCE that I forced it into 2nd gear from 1st....b/c I needed to go. I don't do it ever shift and ever since my car started acting up, I've been taking it easy on her. I shift at 3k RPMs max now and it shifts just fine. I appreciate the input but not the judgement of how I'm driving.
i brought your shifting up because you said you had a hard time getting it into gear. i figured you were just beating on it since you modded it so thoroughly. didn't mean any disrespect, and i wasn't trying to dis your driving ability. was just trying to point out a fact that i wasn't sure if you were aware of or not