gearbox gone or oil leak

Synchros shot? Weird noises while shifting? Not sure what needs to be replaced?
rob.bangorcity
Junior Standardshifter

gearbox gone or oil leak

Post by rob.bangorcity »

hi,
i recently bought an 02 vauxhall vectra elegance 2.2 dti with 115000 on the clock. i took it for a service everything was fine apart from the mechanisc saying he noticed a leak under the car cleaned it but couldnt find the source. i have just noticed now that when the car is idling there is a loud whirring noise from the engine which stops when i depress my clutch. could this be my gearbox could be on its way out? or could it just be a gearbox oil leak? any help would be greatly appreciated
ihartmacz
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 1998 Ford Mustang Coupe

Re: gearbox gone or oil leak

Post by ihartmacz »

Does it whine or make any other noises when you load the transmission to the engine (when driving). I would check the transmission fluid level. It's possible that it's the throughout bearing for the clutch
1998 Ford Mustang
3.8L V6 AKA "Essex"
"Hot Doritos"
rob.bangorcity
Junior Standardshifter

Post by rob.bangorcity »

no it makes no other noises mate and when im driving the gear changes seem nice and smooth
LHOswald
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '99 Civic Hatch w/B16a

Post by LHOswald »

i think my truck does the same thing, but only when its cold so i always assumed it was from the tranny lube not being at operating temperatures. if it goes away when you disengage the clutch then its definitely your gearbox, but if the fluid is fine then the only thing i could recommend is a flush and a fill up