HELP! Fuel line nut rusted, can't remove fuel filter

Synchros shot? Weird noises while shifting? Not sure what needs to be replaced?
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Re: HELP! Fuel line nut rusted, can't remove fuel filter

Post by watkins »

Woot!
wannabe
Master Standardshifter
Cars: NONE - take the bus

Post by wannabe »

congrats!
2003 Chrysler town and country

Crafting and stuff
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

Update: Engine failed with classic symptoms of head gasket - running rough, misfiring, white smoke. I limped it to the mechanic's garage, which was 5 miles away from where I was instead of trying to baby it 30 miles to my house. I spent the past few weeks walking the floor like Ernest Tubb.

However, there is good news. WOOHOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My truck is fixed and it's under $100. My wife took the message, something about fuel lines and/or wiring being crossed, and sludge from bad gas. I don't believe that I could have crossed anything up, but I'll wait to hear what it was.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

theholycow wrote:Update: Engine failed with classic symptoms of head gasket - running rough, misfiring, white smoke. I limped it to the mechanic's garage, which was 5 miles away from where I was instead of trying to baby it 30 miles to my house. I spent the past few weeks walking the floor like Ernest Tubb.

However, there is good news. WOOHOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My truck is fixed and it's under $100. My wife took the message, something about fuel lines and/or wiring being crossed, and sludge from bad gas. I don't believe that I could have crossed anything up, but I'll wait to hear what it was.
What are you up to now, 26 gallons of bad gas from a 24 gallon tank? That thing's makin' bad gas! Keep it like it is, but find a market for bad gas you you'll have a going bidnest.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

Rope-Pusher wrote:What are you up to now, 26 gallons of bad gas from a 24 gallon tank? That thing's makin' bad gas! Keep it like it is, but find a market for bad gas you you'll have a going bidnest.
It turned out to be a fuel injector stuck open dumping fuel. There was no new bad gas, my wife misunderstood about gas getting past the rings into the oil and contaminating it.

The injector was misbehaving because of faulty wiring that resulted from a modification I did a couple years ago and abandoned in place rather than removing.

However, I did get at LEAST 26 gallons of gas out of that tank back when I had the bad gas. I don't know why, but it holds a lot more gas than the fuel pump can reach. If someone made a fuel pump with an extended pickup I'd probably have a 28 gallon tank.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD