exhaust system question

Synchros shot? Weird noises while shifting? Not sure what needs to be replaced?
FDSpirit
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2000 Honda Civic Si

exhaust system question

Post by FDSpirit »

I live in the good ol' northeast where rock salt is not a car's best friend. Today my exhaust system had the luxury of rotting/falling off in one area. The part that broke is still connected to the muffler, but is no longer connected to the b pipe. Now I'm checking the diagram and skill level for this and its a C, which isn't too hard If I can do this myself, how should I go about it? It seems the pipe that disconnected comes with the muffler. Should I just buy a new one? And if so, how does it connect to the b pipe? I've never done this before and want to know everything I can before I tackle this job. Thanks in advance
2000 Honda Civic Si- Slightly faster than your grandmomma's grocery getter......slightly.
94Corolla5Speed
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 1994 Corolla, 1990 Miata

Re: exhaust system question

Post by 94Corolla5Speed »

If there's not too much rust, just go to your local mexi-car shop (there's plenty in Chicago, don't know about NY), and have them weld it. Should be cheap, around $20.

The same thing happened to me 2 winters ago I think. I was driving along (I already had a very slight hole in the exhaust, was just a bit loud), and then all of a sudden the exhaust blows WIDE f**k OPEN and is loud as f**k. Turns out the pipe disconnected between the 1st and 2nd muffler. CEL came on too. Got it welded back, and it was quiet as new, and the CEL turned off. Too bad my exhaust sounds like shit now. Raspy and loud, it's quite annoying.
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

paul34 wrote:move down South and say goodbye to salt rust issues :mrgreen:
Or buy a Saab. My 10 year old car has a grand total of zero rust on it except standard surface rust on things like the exhaust manifold studs and the rear sway bar
LHOswald
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '99 Civic Hatch w/B16a

Post by LHOswald »

thats impressive for living in rhode island. i've only been up there a few times but jesus christ theres sand and dirt EVERYWHERE
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

...or a GM. My 1980 Buick has a rusted broken tailpipe but otherwise lacks any real rot, despite never having been washed (even though it was driven in winter).

I thought the exhaust manifold had warped, but actually it was just that a whatchamacallit came loose from it due to a missing hose clamp.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
FDSpirit
Master Standardshifter

Post by FDSpirit »

Thanks for the tips. I'll go to a shop and just have them check it out. Hopefully it'll just be a welding job, which isn't much. The rest of the exhaust is fine. Looks brand new. They probably got one end done and held off on the other
2000 Honda Civic Si- Slightly faster than your grandmomma's grocery getter......slightly.
watkins
Master Standardshifter

Post by watkins »

LHOswald wrote:thats impressive for living in rhode island. i've only been up there a few times but jesus christ theres sand and dirt EVERYWHERE
As far as I know, the car has only seen this past winter in RI. Before that it was strictly in MA for a while and I think a NH car before that.

RI is a dirty state though. And the roads are some of the worst Ive ever been on. Ive been on vaguely defined dirt trails that are less jarring.
permabanned
Master Standardshifter

Post by permabanned »

get a real exhaust. this is for your Si presumably

dont get anything loud. loud exhausts are cool for a while, then a week later you hate how obnoxious it is and how it draws attention to you. i switched to borla, its very quiet, and absolutely silent at idle. im never going back to a loud exhaust. the only reason to be loud is if your car runs 11s or faster. then your at a point where the number of cars you would lose to can be counted on your 1 hand, then you have a excuse and a reason to be loud.

sticker shock is great, but get a apexi WS2. its 600 dollars new but its 2.5 inch, straight thru stainless, and its absolutely silent. my buddy got a GSR swapped EK with DC sport headers, test pipe and a WS2 and you cant hear his exhaust from the outside. his intake overpowers his exhaust, you cant hear any exhaust sound over the sound of vtec. i talk about this car a lot because its quite a bit of a car to talk about. plus, with a 2.5 inch exhaust, youll have amazing top end.

get a used WS2 and call it a day.
95 probe GT
02 yamaha R6
My Flickr
FDSpirit
Master Standardshifter

Post by FDSpirit »

I really want an apexi exhaust, but at this point, I'm gonna have to wait. I just don't want my car sounding like a hot rod anymore :lol:. Maybe next year.
theholycow
Master Standardshifter

Post by theholycow »

watkins wrote:RI is a dirty state though. And the roads are some of the worst Ive ever been on. Ive been on vaguely defined dirt trails that are less jarring.
Oh. I always just figured I was being too picky when I feel like our roads are craptastic.

Come to think of it, my commute is pretty decent in CT and MA.

FDSpirit
Master Standardshifter

Post by FDSpirit »

You guys should come visit Albany and Troy, NY. This state spends more money on billboards and greeting signs than on the roads. They repave and it rains. A month later, they're back at step one because the stuff they use isn't top grade. Cheap asses. The potholes here can stop a car in its tracks.
watkins
Master Standardshifter

Post by watkins »

theholycow wrote:
watkins wrote:RI is a dirty state though. And the roads are some of the worst Ive ever been on. Ive been on vaguely defined dirt trails that are less jarring.
Oh. I always just figured I was being too picky when I feel like our roads are craptastic.

Come to think of it, my commute is pretty decent in CT and MA.
Not picky at all. Im quite convinced that the trans problem with my car is due to RI roads destroying parts of it.
mad_finn
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: Cevrolet Caprice STW (at)

Post by mad_finn »

FDSpirit wrote:You guys should come visit Albany and Troy, NY. This state spends more money on billboards and greeting signs than on the roads. They repave and it rains. A month later, they're back at step one because the stuff they use isn't top grade. Cheap asses. The potholes here can stop a car in its tracks.
Or better yet, visit Moscow, or St.Petersburg, (russia) roads are mostly decent, but I have whitnessed when car hit in pothole, about 35mph, and half of the tire fell in there, ripped his rear axle off from the cars body :shock:
13litre engine, 18 speed manual, total weight 36tons.11 years on the road,700k.miles driven
theholycow
Master Standardshifter

Post by theholycow »

Wow, I thought it was bad when I destroyed a tire's sidewall on a pothole...

LHOswald
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '99 Civic Hatch w/B16a

Post by LHOswald »

most connecticut roads are fine, and they've been doing roadwork around boston so most of the majorly driven highways around there drive well too. but rhode island is the biggest compilation of crap roads covered with enough dirt and sand to fill every car in americas exhaust system...twice