Tune Up!

Synchros shot? Weird noises while shifting? Not sure what needs to be replaced?
FDSpirit
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2000 Honda Civic Si

Tune Up!

Post by FDSpirit »

Well, better safe than sorry I always say. Here's what I'm getting as far as OEM
1. PCV Valve
2. Distributor Cap
3. Rotor
What isn't
My car came with an AEM CAI, so I either need to clean or replace the air filter sometime as well, but this is gonna run me altogether about 120 bucks.
Any other suggestions? I don't really need iridium plugs, might just go with platinum. I'm not souping the car up, I just want it to run better than it already is now.
2000 Honda Civic Si- Slightly faster than your grandmomma's grocery getter......slightly.
LHOswald
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '99 Civic Hatch w/B16a

Re: Tune Up!

Post by LHOswald »

get a K&N filter. they have million dollar warranty's. you'll never have to worry about getting a new one again
FDSpirit
Master Standardshifter

Post by FDSpirit »

Well, the AEM one that's on now is a conical filter, and those apparently never wear out, they just looked f'ed up from use. And they never need to be oiled, but the K&N ones do. I'd have to check if K&N makes a conical filter for my car.
2000 Honda Civic Si- Slightly faster than your grandmomma's grocery getter......slightly.
LHOswald
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '99 Civic Hatch w/B16a

Post by LHOswald »

yeah usually conical filters you just have to clean out and throw em back on
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

i would get the iridiums over platinums. better conductivity and spark from what i understand; might as well go copper if you're thinking of going platinum (as long as you're willing to change them out every 30k miles or so) since copper supposedly makes for a better spark than platinum while it's in good shape. iridium is the best of both worlds. i run ngk ix iridiums in my maxima with no hitches.
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

FDSpirit wrote:Well, the AEM one that's on now is a conical filter, and those apparently never wear out, they just looked f'ed up from use. And they never need to be oiled, but the K&N ones do. I'd have to check if K&N makes a conical filter for my car.
I love my AEM Dryflow
FDSpirit
Master Standardshifter

Post by FDSpirit »

^yep. That's the one im driving with now. I need the cleaning kit for it.
permabanned
Master Standardshifter

Post by permabanned »

B series come with ngk iridiums stock. b16 is a high performance engine that needs a hot plug. they are 9 dollars a plug but what did you expect when buying a car that makes 100hp/liter bone stock. unlike the case with american cars where stock parts are pretty much the worst shit you could buy for the car, with honda unless your upgrading to aftermarket, OEM parts are the best because of the engineering and thoughtoutness that went into them.

NGK iridiums
NGK wires
honda OEM cap and rotor

get a aftermarket fuel filter. on your EM1 its right there in plain sight and having a something nice like a anodized AEM fuel filter just looks better when you pop the hood.

synthetic oil, thats a given, and either a hamp filter or honda OEM filter. both are excellent, both are designed by honda for hondas. hamp is better, obviously more expensive, and you will probably have to order it. honda OEM filters are excellent, miles better than any parts store filter and easy to find

dont worry about your PCV. get rid of the vaccum line connecting your intake and your valve cover. cap it off at the intake and put a small breather on the valve cover. then get a catch can and put it between your PCV box on the back of the block and the intake manifold. your PCV will function much better and your wont get the oil in your intake
95 probe GT
02 yamaha R6
My Flickr
FDSpirit
Master Standardshifter

Post by FDSpirit »

permabanned wrote:B series come with ngk iridiums stock. b16 is a high performance engine that needs a hot plug. they are 9 dollars a plug but what did you expect when buying a car that makes 100hp/liter bone stock. unlike the case with american cars where stock parts are pretty much the worst shit you could buy for the car, with honda unless your upgrading to aftermarket, OEM parts are the best because of the engineering and thoughtoutness that went into them.

NGK iridiums
NGK wires
honda OEM cap and rotor

get a aftermarket fuel filter. on your EM1 its right there in plain sight and having a something nice like a anodized AEM fuel filter just looks better when you pop the hood.

synthetic oil, thats a given, and either a hamp filter or honda OEM filter. both are excellent, both are designed by honda for hondas. hamp is better, obviously more expensive, and you will probably have to order it. honda OEM filters are excellent, miles better than any parts store filter and easy to find

dont worry about your PCV. get rid of the vaccum line connecting your intake and your valve cover. cap it off at the intake and put a small breather on the valve cover. then get a catch can and put it between your PCV box on the back of the block and the intake manifold. your PCV will function much better and your wont get the oil in your intake
You have quite a bit of car knowledge, but even though I am going to school for auto tech, most of this stuff is still foreign to me :lol: . I haven't done anything major to either of my cars. I need to start reading that book I got for Specs Class.
wannabe
Master Standardshifter
Cars: NONE - take the bus

Post by wannabe »

i think all of romans long posts need to be catalouged and make a book....
2003 Chrysler town and country

Crafting and stuff