Car problems never end

Synchros shot? Weird noises while shifting? Not sure what needs to be replaced?
Tinton
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 91 MR2t, 88&86 Fieros

Car problems never end

Post by Tinton »

Yeah, you fix 1 problem and another pops up :evil:. I'm working on keeping all my cars on the road but its a bit of a struggle, right now my '88 GT is out of commission because of a broken select cable, my MR2 is still untuned, and my '86 Fiero just had something new pop up today. Apparently 1 of the bolts holding the alternator in place came off completely, so its only being held by the other bolt and a stud. The car runs but it sounds bad and it might break any time. Anyways, that's what you get for owning old cars :P :lol:. Anyone else having a lot of car issues right now?
VTECaddict
Master Standardshifter

Re: Car problems never end

Post by VTECaddict »

my right rear shock squeaks when its cold.
2006 BMW 330i 6MT
permabanned
Master Standardshifter

Post by permabanned »

my car is always broken. i figured out that if you just keep fixing the broke shit, youll never come out ahead, because you fix something, something else breaks. you wait til something not important breaks and dont touch it.

heres whats broke on my car that i could give a cubic metric ton of shit about:

sway bar bushings and endlinks - clunks bad on bumpy roads, doesnt matter
engine mounts - engine moves around more than 0 inches when i rev, unacceptable, but not dangerous
all kinds of suspension squeaks - bolts are there for a reason, to keep your shit from falling apart when the bushings wear out
exhaust hangs down too low - wont be touched til im turboed in 3 or 10 years
left rear tire is pretty much a mexican slick - dont care

really the only things bothering me are the sideskirts which i still need to paint and put on and my front control arm bushings which i need to buy polyurethane versions of.
95 probe GT
02 yamaha R6
My Flickr
fa22raptorf22
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2004 SSM Acura RSX

Post by fa22raptorf22 »

I was trying to help a friend fix a vw diesel but its toast and he so needs a new car :x
VTECaddict
Master Standardshifter

Post by VTECaddict »

permabanned wrote:sway bar bushings and endlinks - clunks bad on bumpy roads, doesnt matter
body rollllllll
2006 BMW 330i 6MT
Leedeth
Master Standardshifter

Post by Leedeth »

permabanned wrote:exhaust hangs down too low - wont be touched til im turboed in 3 or 10 years
You too? That sucks man.
94Corolla5Speed
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 1994 Corolla, 1990 Miata

Post by 94Corolla5Speed »

Exhaust sounds like shit
Gaping hole in the front bumper
A mount or some suspension piece is loose or broken, making a clunk-squeak on front-rear weight transfer
No airbags
Front part of the frame is shittily repaired and rusty
A/C doesn't work
Clutch pedal squeaks and clicks like a mother

and probably some more shit; but hey, it drives and i still can beat the shit out of it, so im good.
wannabe
Master Standardshifter
Cars: NONE - take the bus

Post by wannabe »

no a/c
possible exhaust hole
no tune up since i haven't a clue when....
probably other things lulz

o out of either alignment or balance or something...steering wheel shakes like a mofo above 65mph (its going to shop tuesday)
2003 Chrysler town and country

Crafting and stuff
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

One day I wrote a two-page long list of little things wrong with my truck that I ignore. I proceeded to lose said list and never had the motivation to make it again.

- Some kind of fuel system pressure leak, I think in the fuel pressure regulator; it doesn't leak into the air, but probably back into the gas tank or the charcoal canister. Gotta turn the key to "On" for a couple seconds before cranking or it won't fire. CEL with P0440 and P0446 code is almost certainly related.
- Tailgate handle bezel is missing, which may be responsible for corrosion on the tailgate mechanism that requires me to manually push the latch rods to get it to latch.
- A small intermittent rain leak that may be in the rear passenger door, or may be in the high-mount stop light.
- Windshield has a huge crack.
- Tires are running out of tread, I don't want to drive on these tires next winter.
- Various dents and body damage from years of abuse.
- Permadirt even on the good body panels from years of not washing it.
- Oh noes, rust starting in a couple spots, also from never washing it and letting winter road salt rot it. Luckily, they're in places not normally visible. Gotta sand and paint those spots.
- Exhaust kind bent down a little from backing into a pile of lumber.
- Noise when in 4wd, I think it's the front diff, and hopefully it just needs new gear oil.

The VW has no problems, ignored or otherwise.

The Buick...well, that's a whole other list... :cry:
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
theholycow
Master Standardshifter

Post by theholycow »

wannabe
Master Standardshifter
Cars: NONE - take the bus

Post by wannabe »

theholycow wrote:Image
+1

what about a girl tho?
2003 Chrysler town and country

Crafting and stuff
NjSi
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2007 Civic Si (FG2)

Post by NjSi »

VTECaddict wrote:my right rear shock squeaks when its cold.
I have the same problem lol.
rubi
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: Citroën AX

Post by rubi »

Just what I was thinking today, after figuring a few annoying issues, and fixing them during the last 2 months, my car is hotter than usual by 10 degrees, again, it goes past 90 even with the air cond. on, for the past 2 years it used to be cooler between 80 -95 C, and yesterday it reached over 100, which is unacceptable i am pretty sure, everyone tells you it's normal but it's not. And there's no other symptoms, yeah well except the fact that when I turn it off, it feels like the engine exhales and shakes and turns off abruptly, and I am not sure what to call the sound since English isn't my native language.

I think the fan starts working after 90, it used to start once the temperature is 90. The car doesn't feel heavy it's running just fine, maybe the torque feels a bit lower, but when i asked my mechanic he thought i am crazy, but i am not. Maybe I just can't articulate what's wrong, but I certainly can't drive on the highway like that! It also heats when i am going on high speeds,in traffic when i am not moving , it's cooler, which is unbelievable, but what do i know?

I am afraid of the damage that can be caused by excess heat if something like that remains unsolved.

Edit: OH and don't get me started on the dents and the front bumper that is hanging low or the rear bumper that is cracking because of the idiots who can't just brake in time, or those who like to make space for parking, or even the big bump near my gas tank that i found one morning because a drunk idiot went zigzag the night before. Or the kids scratching with coins... And my head lights need alignment.
theholycow
Master Standardshifter

Post by theholycow »

rubi, it sounds like your thermostat may be failing. That's a common failure. If it's failing, that would cause increased engine temperature. It would also cause increased air temperature under the hood, and if your intake draws that hot air then that would explain the torque feeling a little bit lower.

Having the air conditioner on would not make the engine cooler. It makes you cooler but would make the engine hotter. Turn the heat on if you want to cool the engine.

Your description of shutting it off sounds like it's dieseling. Does it keep exhaling and shaking for a couple seconds after you expect it to stop? I don't know how to fix dieseling, but maybe at least I can put a name on the symptom for you.

rubi
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: Citroën AX

Post by rubi »

theholycow wrote:rubi, it sounds like your thermostat may be failing. That's a common failure. If it's failing, that would cause increased engine temperature. It would also cause increased air temperature under the hood, and if your intake draws that hot air then that would explain the torque feeling a little bit lower.

Having the air conditioner on would not make the engine cooler. It makes you cooler but would make the engine hotter. Turn the heat on if you want to cool the engine.

Your description of shutting it off sounds like it's dieseling. Does it keep exhaling and shaking for a couple seconds after you expect it to stop? I don't know how to fix dieseling, but maybe at least I can put a name on the symptom for you.
Sounds right and I think it might be dieseling due to the fact it's running hot. About the AC though, the fan runs almost non-stop when the AC is on, and the car usually runs about 10 degrees cooler when the AC is on,maybe it depends on the design, therefore varies from car to car but I know for a fact the AC doesn't make it hotter, today it kept things at a normal level.

Thank you.