friggin a

Synchros shot? Weird noises while shifting? Not sure what needs to be replaced?
LHOswald
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '99 Civic Hatch w/B16a

friggin a

Post by LHOswald »

so i go to change the front brakes\rotors on my truck and after much fuss (the truck is a 92' with 130000 miles on it and the brakes have never been changed) i finally got everything apart. rotors went on fine, calipers went on fine, but i noticed the sliding pin on the front left caliper was a little seized and it wasn't moving as much as the other ones. but i said whatever. after getting the pads in on the front left i thought i would just slap in the front left ones and i would be good for a test run. i try to put in the front left brake pads and the sliding pin is so seized that i can't even get the thing to move to the right position to get the pads in.

i've tried spraying the pin with wd-40 (without getting any on the brake\rotor assembly) but the thing isn't budging. 17 years of rust > me

someone tell me something i don't know that will magically fix this. i don't want to get new calipers but from my current standpoint thats about my only option.
wannabe
Master Standardshifter
Cars: NONE - take the bus

Re: friggin a

Post by wannabe »

did you try pb blaster? i hear it works better than wd 40 sometimes....
2003 Chrysler town and country

Crafting and stuff
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

It's been years since I've done brakes. What is this "sliding pin"? I don't remember anything matching that description.

PB Blaster or another penetrating oil may work better than WD40. Can you apply heat at all? How about cold? You may be able to expand or contract something, either to make room or to break free the rust bond.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
wannabe
Master Standardshifter

Post by wannabe »

i think i know the sliding pin ur talking about....we had issues w/ it on the drivers side caliper on my 89 spirit....

we finally hammered it out of there....w/ a mallet and something that fit ontop of it and i malleted it out of there....

Crafting and stuff
LHOswald
Master Standardshifter

Post by LHOswald »

wannabe wrote:did you try pb blaster? i hear it works better than wd 40 sometimes....
yeah i think im gonna pick up a can of pb blaster and attempt that before i splurge for new calipers
theholycow wrote:It's been years since I've done brakes. What is this "sliding pin"? I don't remember anything matching that description.

PB Blaster or another penetrating oil may work better than WD40. Can you apply heat at all? How about cold? You may be able to expand or contract something, either to make room or to break free the rust bond.
theres a sliding pin that adjusts itself when the single piston is compressed against the brake pads. its so rusted and seized that it doesn't budge. under normal operation it should slide left and right to adjust for the single piston to compress against the pads and the rotor and it should adjust itself.

i could try blasting it with heat. would heat expand it or contract it? i know with water the hotter it is the less dense it gets, colder the more dense it gets. so would cold make it denser, therefore cause it to shrink?
wannabe wrote:i think i know the sliding pin ur talking about....we had issues w/ it on the drivers side caliper on my 89 spirit....

we finally hammered it out of there....w/ a mallet and something that fit ontop of it and i malleted it out of there....
hmm i didn't try hammering it around to get it to move. there was a nut on there that i tried to mess around with (after i applied the wd-40 of course) and it just kinda slid around. whether it was due to the lube applied or the fact that it was a little stripped im not sure.

maybe some lube and a good whack is all it needs :oops: :wink:
wannabe
Master Standardshifter

Post by wannabe »

LHOswald wrote:maybe some lube and a good whack is all it needs :oops: :wink:
twss

Crafting and stuff
theholycow
Master Standardshifter

Post by theholycow »

Yup, cold will make it contract. I said heat first because it's easy to apply a lot of heat with a torch, but hard to apply a lot of cold (more accurately, remove a lot of heat). Freeze spray (aka canned air upside-down) might do the job.

Heat would expand it, which could break its rust bonds. It could also force the hole open (twss). Cold could shrink the pin, and shrink or expand the hole (depending on the shape of the surrounding stuff I guess). Rapid application of heat then cold could break it loose and probably can't hurt too much, if you consider how hot brakes get and how cold a puddle is that gets splashed on the brakes in the winter.

If you haven't tried whacking it yet, you should.

These are all just ideas, I haven't had this problem and can't say they won't break stuff. The problem I usually had when doing disc brakes was pushing the piston back in, I would either destroy a C-clamp or let some brake fluid bleed (which invariably allowed air into the system and doing a complete bleed never seemed to work well for me).

I still can't remember the sliding pin.

LHOswald
Master Standardshifter

Post by LHOswald »

theholycow wrote:These are all just ideas, I haven't had this problem and can't say they won't break stuff. The problem I usually had when doing disc brakes was pushing the piston back in, I would either destroy a C-clamp or let some brake fluid bleed (which invariably allowed air into the system and doing a complete bleed never seemed to work well for me).

I still can't remember the sliding pin.
how the hell did you destroy a c clamp pushing the piston in? it wasn't that hard on my truck. i just used a big ass pair of vice grips and forced that f*cker right back in there
theholycow
Master Standardshifter

Post by theholycow »

LHOswald wrote:how the hell did you destroy a c clamp pushing the piston in? it wasn't that hard on my truck. i just used a big ass pair of vice grips and forced that f*cker right back in there
They're not all that easy. Some require a lot more force.

The worst one, as I found out, actually required you to turn the piston while pushing it. I didn't find out until we destroyed two clamps...

Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

theholycow wrote: If you haven't tried whacking it yet, you should.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
noob5,000,000
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 1986 Mazda RX-7 x2

Post by noob5,000,000 »

theholycow wrote:
The worst one, as I found out, actually required you to turn the piston while pushing it.
Yeah the FC is like that, it's such a huge PITA :x
1986 Mazda RX-7 sport - slowly returning to the Earth
1986 Mazda RX-7 base - Project car, ???, In pieces, turbo parts around.
wannabe
Master Standardshifter

Post by wannabe »

noob5,000,000 wrote:
theholycow wrote:
The worst one, as I found out, actually required you to turn the piston while pushing it.
get rid of it....

Crafting and stuff
comingbackdown
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 99 Ram 2500, 86 Ford LTD

Post by comingbackdown »

Heat it, hit it with a hammer, then PB Blaster the living shit out of it.
1999 Ram 2500 4x4 360, 1986 Ford LTD 3.8L, 1983 Yamaha Venture Royale 1200
LHOswald
Master Standardshifter

Post by LHOswald »

comingbackdown wrote:Heat it, hit it with a hammer, then PB Blaster the living shit out of it.
oh really? that much finesse? lol. im gonna do it tomorrow and see what happens. if it doesn't happen i'll just jump around like a monkey hitting the thing in random places. we'll see what happens
theholycow
Master Standardshifter

Post by theholycow »

noob5,000,000 wrote:
theholycow wrote:The worst one, as I found out, actually required you to turn the piston while pushing it.
There is a tool that is made for the job...you could borrow it from a parts store that has a loan program, or probably buy one for not too much money. After we broke a couple C-clamps and learned that you have to turn it, we found that we could alternate clamping and turning, it was possible to do on his car without the special tool.