Auto slipping out of gear???

Synchros shot? Weird noises while shifting? Not sure what needs to be replaced?
Shaolin
Senior Standardshifter

Auto slipping out of gear???

Post by Shaolin »

Hi there,
Since you guys helped me so much with my last problem I was wondering if I could call upon you once again...

My mum has an automatic 2004 Ford Focus, It's only done about 90,000kms.
When shes in "Drive" she says it sometimes slips out of gear, as if it were in neutral. (engine revs and revs and the car goes no where fast)
She says that it doesn't happen when she uses the overdrive button but she doesn't want to have to drive around with "high revs" all the time.

Does any one have any ideas as to what might be the cause of this?
Her friend said it could cost a few thousand to fix and shes a bit worried about it.

I don't know a lot at all about automatic transmissions so any advice/input at all would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a lot guys!

Much love for this forum.
~ shaolin.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Re: Auto slipping out of gear???

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Probably a good first step would be to check trans fluid level. Also, smell the dipstick - does it smell burnt? If the fluid isn't low, get some estimates on what a repair or replacement would cost.
Also, check with a Focus or Ford forum and try to learn how prevalent this problem is and what other folks have done about it in their situations.

What is her duty cycle? Does she drive a lot of miles at expressway speeds? If she doesn't, the most cost effective solution might be to continue driving it with Overdrive disabled. If she can avoid paying for a transmission replacement or rebuild, the cost savings would pay for a lot of gasoline. I would be surprised if it boosted highway fuel economy by 5 MPG, but compare her yearly mileage driven divided by average fuel economy times fuel cost per gallon against yearly mileage divided by 5-less mpg times cost of fuel. Multiply this difference by the number of remaining years she plans to own the vehicle. Compare this figure with the cost estimate to correct the condition.

mIf some family member could volunteer to donate the labor, it might make it worth her while to fix it.

If the problem is rare, consider buying an experienced trans from a junkyard. If they all do it, junkyard trans is likely to have the same issues and a good rebuild might address the root cause of the problem.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
VTECaddict
Master Standardshifter

Post by VTECaddict »

yep, check ATF level first. when was the last time ATF was changed?
2006 BMW 330i 6MT
Takigu
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 98 s-10 4.3L vortec v6

Post by Takigu »

if its not the fluid level it prolly needs a rebuild and if it's starting it might go fast mine started acting up and within 3 miles stopped working completely. then again it might just be the overdrive like rope-pusher said compare the costs
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

^ I had a GOOLIE slushbox where lock-up torque converter sometimes stayed locked. It was odd to brake to a jerking halt when instincts said "Stab the clutch pedal, Dummy!" After the engine stalled, I would shift into Neutral and restart. Then, I had to give it some throttle and neutral-slam into gear to get going again. After this rude treatment, the TC clutch would usually get shaken open and things were OK until I reached lock-up speed again. I looked into it and decided unplugging the electrical connection that controlled the TC clutch was the most cost effective solution.
Best part about living through this was the perverse joy I felt seeing other GM FWD car drivers having the same problem. I wonder if cancer survivors feel the same way about newly-diagnosed cancer patients.
Shaolin
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Shaolin »

You guys are the best. Thank you so much for your replies.
I'll check out the transmission fluid and get back to you

Thanks! :P
~ shaolin.
kamesama980
Senior Standardshifter

Post by kamesama980 »

+1 for fluid level low or time for a new box. sounds exactly like when I burst a ATF cooler hose and it drained. rev it up and it builds enough pressure in spite of aeration to hold the gear clutchpacks but if not, you go nowhere fast like you're in neutral.
-Russ
2012 Nissan Frontier 4.0l M6 4x4
1990 Toyota Cressida 3.0l M5
1994 Pontiac Firebird LT1 M6
1970 Volkwagen Beetle M4
1990 Suzuki VX800 SM5
comingbackdown
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 99 Ram 2500, 86 Ford LTD

Post by comingbackdown »

Rope-Pusher wrote:^ I had a GOOLIE slushbox where lock-up torque converter sometimes stayed locked. It was odd to brake to a jerking halt when instincts said "Stab the clutch pedal, Dummy!" After the engine stalled, I would shift into Neutral and restart. Then, I had to give it some throttle and neutral-slam into gear to get going again. After this rude treatment, the TC clutch would usually get shaken open and things were OK until I reached lock-up speed again. I looked into it and decided unplugging the electrical connection that controlled the TC clutch was the most cost effective solution.
Best part about living through this was the perverse joy I felt seeing other GM FWD car drivers having the same problem. I wonder if cancer survivors feel the same way about newly-diagnosed cancer patients.
LULZ!
TCC Lockout Solenoid. I've seen that at least three times thus far in my lifetime! Funny thing is, most people pay the $300+ to have it replaced, when you can just unplug the damn thing...
1999 Ram 2500 4x4 360, 1986 Ford LTD 3.8L, 1983 Yamaha Venture Royale 1200
mtheis
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 07 Corolla, 76 Celica

Post by mtheis »

comingbackdown wrote:TCC Lockout Solenoid. I've seen that at least three times thus far in my lifetime! Funny thing is, most people pay the $300+ to have it replaced, when you can just unplug the damn thing...
Yes, but then the transmission can overheat while driving at highway speeds.
2007 Corolla
2017 Cannondale Quick 3
1995 Tercel
1976 Celica GT
Unofficial SS.com IRC Server
Driving stick since March 20, 2002
Official lurker
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

mtheis wrote:Yes, but then the transmission can overheat while driving at highway speeds.
Agreed. Also, you then get "slush" behavior all the time, wasting gas and power. Might as well spend the money to fix it.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

^Slushbox cars were around for years and years until Chrysler reintroduced the lock-up torque converter clutch in the late 1970s. I do agree that it should run a bit hotter w/o lock-up, but that's not touche that it will overheat. Michigan is not mountainous and not the hottest place on earth, so my driving w/o lock-up didn't push the envelope of the cooling system design.