Told I need to replace my clutch...

Synchros shot? Weird noises while shifting? Not sure what needs to be replaced?
pan465
Junior Standardshifter

Told I need to replace my clutch...

Post by pan465 »

Well, I ended up on here because I was looking for some advice. I'll try to keep my story short.
I just bought a 2003 PT Cruiser GT with 41k miles on it. After 1 week (approximately 250 miles, around half of which were highway driving), I was driving and my engine started to rev a little high without getting all the power to the wheels. I pulled to the side of the road, checked the car, but when I went to go, the car would not go into gear. I ended up having towed home, and the next day, to the dealer.

The dealer had it looked at and told me I needed to have the clutch replaced because it was burned out. They then went on to tell me I was responsible for the total of the repair and they would not pay for any of it because I was the one that burned it out. I told the sales manager that I spoke with that in the contract, they guarantee it would pass inspection or they would will make all repairs necessary to pass (I'm in NJ). He told me I would have to speak to a lawyer on it (I called the inspection commission, told them the issue, when they asked how I would get the car there, I said "I would have to have it towed" the woman responded, "I don't think they'll even inspect a car that has to be towed to inspection." I talk to as many people as I could, even cold calling dealerships, and everyone had said that most likely, the clutch was on its way out or had a problem already.

I just wanted to get some opinions on here, and also, is there a way to tell how or when the wear/damage was done to the clutch. Like, is continuous wear shown in a different way then if it happened literally within the last few miles. I'm just very concerned because I think they're trying to push me into fixing it myself, and while I don't want to have to pay for a lawyer, I don't know of any other way of enforcing the contract if they don't fix it.

Thank you for any advice you can provide me, or anything I could possibly look into to help me out.
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Re: Told I need to replace my clutch...

Post by AHTOXA »

This is a really tough case. There's no way to tell really when the damage was done to the clutch or how or by whom. They have no way of knowing whether or not you were the one that caused the damage. From a dealership standpoint, there are a lot of people out there who buy manual cars and can't drive them properly causing rapid damage. I have a buddy working as a tech and I hear his stories.

I'm not implying that you damaged it, simply stating that you cannot prove anything and they cannot disprove anything. This is obviously not in your favor as they can simply not cover this under assumption of abuse.

Solution one: it will likely to be cheaper to have the clutch replaced at an independent shop. Often the dealerships are more expensive than the shops. Make sure you pick a reliable shop. Do you research and ask people. This is one of these cases that is very unfortunate but is hard to deal with. The dealer is not to blame for selling you a car with a clutch that was on it's last legs as it's not always noticeable when driven until it fails like yours did.

Solution two: push the issues with the dealer and don't let up the pressure. Do not threaten then but be respectful but insistent. Squeaky wheels often get the grease. While the dealership is not likely to cover the whole price of the repair, they will sometimes make you pay for labor but will give you the part for free. This may be cheaper than fixing it elsewhere.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

+1 - Like he said, push the car to the dealership, right in front of their used car lot, hang a big, ugly poster of a lemon on it and when they ask you to move it, tell them how the clutch went bad in only 250 miles of ownership and it won't drive now. That is what you meant, right AHTOXA?
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
wannabe
Master Standardshifter
Cars: NONE - take the bus

Post by wannabe »

Rope-Pusher wrote:+1 - Like he said, push the car to the dealership, right in front of their used car lot, hang a big, ugly poster of a lemon on it and when they ask you to move it, tell them how the clutch went bad in only 250 miles of ownership and it won't drive now. That is what you meant, right AHTOXA?
lol

thats funny....

squeaky wheels get grease.
2003 Chrysler town and country

Crafting and stuff
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

wannabe wrote:squeaky wheels get grease.
What do slipping clutches get?
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
wannabe
Master Standardshifter

Post by wannabe »

theholycow wrote:
clutch fluid

Crafting and stuff
RITmusic2k
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2004 BMW 330i ZHP

Post by RITmusic2k »

Maybe he accidentally filled it with break fluid...
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

theholycow wrote:
replaced?
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
theholycow
Master Standardshifter

Post by theholycow »

RITmusic2k wrote:Maybe he accidentally filled it with break fluid...
That's what I would do if I wanted to break something.

RITmusic2k
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2004 BMW 330i ZHP

Post by RITmusic2k »

theholycow wrote:
That's why I said 'accidentally'! :lol: :lol: :) :lol:
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

I got some advice I thought was very wise one time. My Aunt was complaining of premature brake pad wear (wear? They were corroded and chunking apart!). My guru told me to have her write a letter stating how disappointed she was, how this was not what she would expect, how this was causing her to loose confidence in the manufacturer (dealer, in your case) and might sway her from doing any further business with them. She ended up getting rotors and pads for free from the manufacturer and only paying for labor.
He explained that if you come off as overly irate, they figure that there is no use trying to please you, but if there is something they could do to reestablish good will and retain the possibility of future business......
In your case, maybe you buy the parts and the dealer throws in the labor? ...or split the bill down the middle with him?
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
wannabe
Master Standardshifter

Post by wannabe »

^^ that is a good idea....

Crafting and stuff
pan465
Junior Standardshifter

Post by pan465 »

Well, it's been tough.
I'm really calm about stuff (I know overreacting just makes them more likely to hang up the phone and get pissed off themselves). Even the owner said "You seem very calm about this." when I spoke with him. But they aren't looking to budge at all on this. It's frustrating because all I get when I talk to them is "You know you're responsible for this," as if they think that they keep repeating it will wear me down to the point that I just give in. That's why it was frustrating, since right off the bat, they wouldn't even make even the smallest offer as to help me out. It was right to: "Your problem" and no debating it.

To Rope-Pusher:
Hilarious. That's actually almost exactly what a friend told me.

I had considered trying to go and talking to them in person and while there, politely going up to a customer in the showroom and asking, "If you bought a car here and it wouldn't run after 1 week/250 miles and wouldn't pass inspection, would you expect them to cover the repairs?"

I'm lucky enough to have some great family that are helping out though and got me in touch with a lawyer. At this point, I'm still waiting to hear ANYTHING. I am pretty sure they just assume I'm young (I'm 28) and that there was no way I would go and actually get a lawyer. Plus, I'm very patient and am lucky enough that I attempted to get a car months before my current lease was up (I figured if I found a good deal, I would get something). It does still suck because I think I might end up going slightly over on the lease mileage, but I tried to be smart about this.
LHOswald
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '99 Civic Hatch w/B16a

Post by LHOswald »

theholycow wrote:
i think he meant that you spelt break wrong

BRAKE fluid is what you meant to say :)
theholycow
Master Standardshifter

Post by theholycow »

I was punning around with the spelling error...not grammar naziing. But yes, that's what I meant.