Oil is pitch black

Synchros shot? Weird noises while shifting? Not sure what needs to be replaced?
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Re: Oil is pitch black

Post by theholycow »

Rope-Pusher wrote:Hey, I lived thru the era of Steve Martin's King Tut and the Bangles "Walk with an erection", so I can fit right in if need be.
What about Steve Martin's banjo playing?

After all, we really need to take this thread further off topic, right?
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
Leedeth
Master Standardshifter

Post by Leedeth »

^ Nice one lol.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

theholycow wrote:
Rope-Pusher wrote:Hey, I lived thru the era of Steve Martin's King Tut and the Bangles "Walk with an erection", so I can fit right in if need be.
What about Steve Martin's banjo playing?

After all, we really need to take this thread further off topic, right?
Yeah, he released an album of Banjo music recently.
OK, the commercials are over. Back to the show.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
rubi
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: Citroën AX

Post by rubi »

Turns out that the carburetor needed a heavy cleaning job that caused the black smoke, the oil i assume shouldn't be getting dirty that easily again, that affected also the spark plugs which we changed, not to mention adjusting the piston rings and i guess the oil won't burn again, and life is good, no smoke no sounds, no freak outs...

@Rope= pusher, I might want to take you up on that offer...

@ Paul...lol
wannabe
Master Standardshifter
Cars: NONE - take the bus

Post by wannabe »

rubi: i'm glad you figured it out without too much hassel. was it the soon-to-be headless mechanic who figure out the carburator needed a cleaning? or someone a bit smarter?
2003 Chrysler town and country

Crafting and stuff
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

I almost forgot - carburetors have floats! If the float stops floating so well, or the float valve stops valving, fuel bowl will over-fill and fuel overflows down into the intake. Fouls the plugs, runs past the rings into the oil, makes black smoke, etc. You can check this out be watching down the throat of the carb as engine is idling (with air filter removed). If you see fuel dripping down onto the throttle plate, the float isn't working properly. Either needs replacing, adjusting the level of or replacing the needle valve.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

My lawn tractor's carburetor is in my basement sitting next to a new float needle valve, float needle seat, and float bowl gasket. It had exactly those symptoms, except the smoke was white (but it's air cooled so I know it wasn't coolant).

It's been raining all week so I haven't bothered putting it back together.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
rubi
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: Citroën AX

Post by rubi »

@ wannabe: a much smarter mechanic figured the carburetor thing, too bad I nearly drilled a hole in the Ozone right above me before somebody finally figured it out...

The thing is, I don't have space to work on my car, something I've always wanted to do, I don't even have the space to wash my car, I park on the street and I live in an apartment and the building is old, doesn't have a garage, and even if it does, garages are over crowded, they tell you not to leave your car there, because it's definitely gonna get scratched. or bumped or whatever...
Knowing more helps with the mechanics, 90% are frauds, they just want you to keep the cash coming. In a way he'd mess and tell you he fixed something, and then in 2 days, you'll be back to tell him something else is wrong, and since you don't know a thing, he'll just keep milking it. Knowing things makes u understand if he's bluffing or not, or when you need to go look for someone else. Knowing things makes you tell the mechanic what you want to do, because asking is definitely wrong, he'll just rob you. I've always known my mechanic was too scared to work on my car. Cause it needs a good one, something he definitely isn't. However Hassan's day job (the new mechanic) is an engineer in El Nasr car company (produces fiat old cars and some lada), his technicians are good, and he definitely gets paid well but at least he gets things done!

On a shallower note, I am a senior standardshifter :D