Check Engine Light Won't Turn Off

Synchros shot? Weird noises while shifting? Not sure what needs to be replaced?
Caramel
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: [1999 Volvo S70]

Check Engine Light Won't Turn Off

Post by Caramel »

Okay here's the dealio.

Volvo S70
136,000 km's/miles? don't even know.
Heater Core replaced ~last January

Check engine light is on, but there are no other symptoms.
The engine was flooded w/ gasoline and a tow truck guy came and started her up for us. But my dad told em to take it to the dealership to check it. They didn't end up checking it, because they didn't have time.
We took the car back, it ran fine, everything seems okay, but the check engine light is still on.

Any suggestions? Ideas? I checked Volvo forums w/ no avail.

Thanks
-Calvin
ihartmacz
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 1998 Ford Mustang Coupe

Re: Check Engine Light Won't Turn Off

Post by ihartmacz »

Take it to AutoZone and have them tell you what the code is and what it's for - don't let them tell you they can't because all ODB-II use the same connector and codes. Write the code and description down and don't let them sell you anything.

Unplug one of the negative battery terminals for 5 minutes and it will reset. If it comes back you'll have an issue.
1998 Ford Mustang
3.8L V6 AKA "Essex"
"Hot Doritos"
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

Have Autozone pull the code. Write it down and they should tell you what it is, then go from there. There are so many possibilities as to what it could be...
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Go to Autozone and buy a roll of black electrical tape. Cut off a piece 25.4 mm long. .....
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

When having Autozone pull the code, don't let them only tell you what the code means. You need the code number. "P0440" is more meaningful than "Evaporative emissions system failure", because the description applies to many codes while P0440 is definitely P0440.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

ihartmacz wrote:Unplug one of the negative battery terminals for 5 minutes and it will reset. If it comes back you'll have an issue.
Most Ricerzone employees I know of will be kind enough to "check" the codes for you. AKA they clear them against store policy.
comingbackdown
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 99 Ram 2500, 86 Ford LTD

Post by comingbackdown »

watkins wrote:
ihartmacz wrote:Unplug one of the negative battery terminals for 5 minutes and it will reset. If it comes back you'll have an issue.
Most Ricerzone employees I know of will be kind enough to "check" the codes for you. AKA they clear them against store policy.
If they did that to me, my father would call the store manager... He used to work at the local 'Zone, and still knows the manager. Somebody would be getting a majorly epic bitching out after that...

'Nuff said on that.
1999 Ram 2500 4x4 360, 1986 Ford LTD 3.8L, 1983 Yamaha Venture Royale 1200
Caramel
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: [1999 Volvo S70]

Post by Caramel »

I don't actually know of any AutoZone around here, probably an american based company :P but would Lordco do it? Or would the dealership do it for free as well (or do they classify that as a Dynos)

I noticed my dad added motor oil to the car, but it was over the limit on the dipstick, this was also when the car was a bit warm though, would that cause the engine light to turn on?

And would getting an OBDII Scanner for like 40$ be a bad idea?
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter

Post by AHTOXA »

Are you in Canada? I don't know which shops - if any - do it there.

Dealerships normally charge to read the codes. You can purchase the OBDII but I think I saw them for more than $40.
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

comingbackdown wrote:
watkins wrote:
If they did that to me, my father would call the store manager... He used to work at the local 'Zone, and still knows the manager. Somebody would be getting a majorly epic bitching out after that...

'Nuff said on that.
Why? Theyre doing you a favor. You would be a complete dickhead to get them in trouble for that
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter

Post by AHTOXA »

Getting someone in trouble for doing you a favor doesn't make sense.
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

Caramel wrote:I don't actually know of any AutoZone around here, probably an american based company :P but would Lordco do it? Or would the dealership do it for free as well (or do they classify that as a Dynos)
Dealerships will charge you enough money to buy yourself two scanners.
I noticed my dad added motor oil to the car, but it was over the limit on the dipstick, this was also when the car was a bit warm though, would that cause the engine light to turn on?
Probably not.
I have a $40 scanner from Harbor Freight, it's the second-cheapest one (the cheapest one can't read CAN-bus). It works great, gives me the code and allows me to clear it if I want. I've used it on my GMC, my wife's Isuzu, and my VW.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
kamesama980
Senior Standardshifter

Post by kamesama980 »

Caramel wrote:I noticed my dad added motor oil to the car, but it was over the limit on the dipstick, this was also when the car was a bit warm though, would that cause the engine light to turn on?

adding oil *might* since it is a crazy european car. I've had mercedes come back to the shop I work at because someone put 1/4 quart too much oil in (like 2mm over the line on the dipstick) and they had a light come on, had it checked, and the car said it was overfull. drained some and all better.

ask at whatever auto parts stores you do have. if they say no, make sure they know you aren't asking them to clear it. if they can't at all, ask who does it for free. (I've known autozone people to say no because they think you're asking them to clear it without reading it)
-Russ
2012 Nissan Frontier 4.0l M6 4x4
1990 Toyota Cressida 3.0l M5
1994 Pontiac Firebird LT1 M6
1970 Volkwagen Beetle M4
1990 Suzuki VX800 SM5
Tinton
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 91 MR2t, 88&86 Fieros

Post by Tinton »

You get the code read to find out wtf is wrong, fix wtf is wrong, disconnect the negative terminal on your battery for 5 minutes and you're good to go. I don't see why this is such a complicated topic? You also shouldn't need a OBD-II scanner, it can come in handy when troubleshooting cars, but unless you plan on using it often you should just head to Autozone.

This is why I love OBD-I. I can just get a paperclip and read all my trouble codes :lol:.
comingbackdown
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 99 Ram 2500, 86 Ford LTD

Post by comingbackdown »

Tinton wrote:You get the code read to find out wtf is wrong, fix wtf is wrong, disconnect the negative terminal on your battery for 5 minutes and you're good to go. I don't see why this is such a complicated topic? You also shouldn't need a OBD-II scanner, it can come in handy when troubleshooting cars, but unless you plan on using it often you should just head to Autozone.

This is why I love OBD-I. I can just get a paperclip and read all my trouble codes :lol:.
In some cases... Not all OBD-I cars are so bloody friendly...
1999 Ram 2500 4x4 360, 1986 Ford LTD 3.8L, 1983 Yamaha Venture Royale 1200